jednashley

Birchbox for Men - is it worth it!?

Its hard to feel like I'm getting a good deal when I haven't received anything for my money... besides a messed up and delayed order using their first 20off "code".

Its hard to feel like I'm getting a good deal when I haven't received anything for my money... besides a messed up and delayed order using their first 20off "code".

word. i feel your pain. i sent them a follow up response to see what will happen.

So bbx man is getting on my damn nerves. So my box is supposed to be "comped" for December, but now birchbox is saying they need billing info for my December bbx box.  Comped = free, right?

Birchbox has the nerve to ask me to update my billing information after they told me that my box will be "comped".  If I don't update it, it would be cancelled. That's some BS.

I told them I'm not updating my card (I used a prepaid one) only to bill me $20 and refund it back for my account to be active. The rep also offered to send my box separately. I don't have money to play around like that.  I just wrote out my rent check and I'm waiting for it to clear. Shooooot, lol.

This is way too complicated and it's a hot mess.  Never again (at least on this account) birchbox. I am over this already. 

Oh man, that's ridiculous. I don't even know what they could do to make us happy at this point. I'd take a random box they had laying around from a past month. Anything!

So bbx man is getting on my damn nerves. So my box is supposed to be "comped" for December, but now birchbox is saying they need billing info for my December bbx box.  Comped = free, right?

Same for me. I didn't even get sent a November box since they "ran out" and CS told me they'd send me a December one instead and comp my January box. Lo and behold, I get charged $20 for a December box today even though I've already paid for it. Beyond annoyed.

Just got it! :)

Lucky! I emailed them about it right away and just got a reply back literally saying "I can confirm that you have been billed for the December Birchbox on December 1st." No mentions of any refunds or the fact that I've already paid for December. Do you usually get better customer service when you call?

Yeah I think it helps when they can hear the exasperation in your voice! They seemed reluctant, but I'm fed up!

Edited by detroitjewel

I emailed them and initially got the condescending "you should be happy we didn't charge you on Nov 15th like we normally would have.  It was so kind of us to wait until the 1st to charge you even though we told you the fee for that month would be waived." email.  Needless to say I responded that their answer was unsatisfactory and told them what I wanted.  I got a refund of the $20.

• Like 1

Lucky! I emailed them about it right away and just got a reply back literally saying "I can confirm that you have been billed for the December Birchbox on December 1st." No mentions of any refunds or the fact that I've already paid for December. Do you usually get better customer service when you call?

Not sure, but you should be up their @$$ to get a refund if you haven't received a box yet. Originally they were going to give us a November box, said they would "comp" December box, then have the nerve to bill us for December anyway.  Stuff like this makes me glad that I only keep a set amount on the prepaid card I get and if it goes over, they can't take away any more money.

• Like 1

Not sure, but you should be up their @$$ to get a refund if you haven't received a box yet. Originally they were going to give us a November box, said they would "comp" December box, then have the nerve to bill us for December anyway.  Stuff like this makes me glad that I only keep a set amount on the prepaid card I get and if it goes over, they can't take away any more money.

That's such a good idea! I'm definitely switching to that.

I finally got a refund but the way they explained it was pretty much ridiculous. For those of us who paid for November and didn't get it, we were offered January's box "comped" for the inconvenience. We were all under the impression that the $20 we paid for November would now go towards December's box instead, and then January's would be complementary. BUT she said it was right that we were charged for December because the money we paid in November was now for January's box...

So in their eyes, "comped" doesn't mean complementary or free, it means "hey you actually paid for this but we're gonna call it a special name to make us look better!" 

That's such a good idea! I'm definitely switching to that.

I finally got a refund but the way they explained it was pretty much ridiculous. For those of us who paid for November and didn't get it, we were offered January's box "comped" for the inconvenience. We were all under the impression that the $20 we paid for November would now go towards December's box instead, and then January's would be complementary. BUT she said it was right that we were charged for December because the money we paid in November was now for January's box...

So in their eyes, "comped" doesn't mean complementary or free, it means "hey you actually paid for this but we're gonna call it a special name to make us look better!" 

When I asked them about December since they told us January would be comped, they told me that was an error and they would comp the December box.  I told them that it's not free if you're moving my $20 over from one month to another. I didn't ask for points, and if I had the option, I would've asked for my money back.

Birchbox needs to learn the definition of comp (the second one)

comp
kämp/
informal
verb
past tense: comped; past participle: comped
  1. 1.
    play (music) as an accompaniment, especially in jazz or blues.
    "if someone is comping chord changes, there are more textured harmonies"
  2. 2.
    NORTH AMERICAN
    give (something) away free, especially as part of a promotion.
    "the management did graciously comp our wine selection"
  • Like 1

I feel like a victim of retaliation for all of my whining. My December box is showing up in New Jersey... I'm near Chicago. Grumblegrumble. Canceling after January.

I'm in Chicago too and I'm still waiting on a shipment confirmation for mine :( I did creep the box contents through the link in the December thread and it looks like my full size item is going to be...socks!! I don't think I would've signed my bf up for it if there wasn't a promotion going on, it just doesn't seem like it's worth it.

I can definitely say that with the hassles I have had with this subscription that it definitely is not worth it.  It started out with the code they sent for the original 200 points not working, then not getting the November box, being charged for the December one when it was supposed to be free because of the November mess up, now I have a shipping number for a December box, but nothing is showing on my box page.  And for the cherry on top of that little sundae full of crap, the cancel button wants to cancel my Birchbox Women's subscription, not the men's.   

Update:  I was able to force the update of my Dec. Birchbox man box.  What a let down.  No socks, no flask, no tie, instead I am being sent  a tie clip.  I had been under the impression that everyone would get one of the "big ticket" lifestyle items in their box.  I can't get rid of this subscription fast enough. 

Update 2: Interestingly when I played with the forced box load it pulled up a box for November.  I am really glad I didn't get what showed for November.  There was a jump rope in there.  If I were to hand my computer nerd hubby a jump rope there may be an emergency room visit needed.  Where is the cool stuff that I see other people getting?

Edited by Jen51

I finally got the damn box yesterday. I got the box, some strong smelling soap (it hurt my nostrils), two pairs of socks I love (but not paying $49 for six of them), acure face wash and facial moisturizer. Never again on that account.

They gave me an extra 150 points because it wouldn't load on my account for the longest and 50 for the reviews since I couldn't do them on my own. What a nightmare.

What does a sista gotta do to get some headphones or gadgets? That's why I signed up for this box. I'm passing this box on to my hubby for CHRISTmas, minus a pair of socks and a men's pick two, lol.

post-83702-0-99198500-1417966365_thumb.jpg

Getting the boyfriend. Gift sub for Christmas. Any thoughts on favorites/classic/fashion forward for the first box?

Are they doing a pick your sample for December Birchbox man? I thought it was the on the 12th of last month.

Are they doing a pick your sample for December Birchbox man? I thought it was the on the 12th of last month.

They told me today that it's for the January box.  I asked the lady multiple times to add me to the birchbox man e-mail list so i can get the pys (they have headphones), and she has to send my e-mail over to the info team.  It shouldn't be that hard to add me to a marketing e-mail list should it?

I'm contacting their facebook rep to add myself on before the samples run out.

• Like 1

Is anyone else still waiting on their December box? It just seems weird that the January one's shipping in less than 2 weeks and my December one doesn't have shipping info yet. I've inquired twice since the 25th and each time I get told that my box will be shipping "shortly"  <_<

@ I'm hoping I emailed them in time to get those headphones too! 

Is anyone else still waiting on their December box? It just seems weird that the January one's shipping in less than 2 weeks and my December one doesn't have shipping info yet. I've inquired twice since the 25th and each time I get told that my box will be shipping "shortly"  <_<

@ I'm hoping I emailed them in time to get those headphones too! 

wow. i stayed on their ass until i got my december box after the way they treated me in november. they're lucky i'm giving them another chance.

My December box came today.  It seems like it took forever for it to get here.  On a separate note, I do love the box with a drawer that it comes in.  Why can't they send cool boxes like this for the woman's subscription? 

• Like 2