why cant my stupid spots go away

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Im really unlucky- i have really oily skin and hair (i know its a good thing when your older but its still a pain ). This causes me to get spots that just wont go away or if they do they just comeback. What helps ?

Paula Begoun  has a book called Don't Go to the Cosmetic Counter Without Me (8th edition is the most recent I think). The first part of the book deals in depth with all kind of skin problems and how to best treat them. Paula's Choice routine and products saved me from acne I had suffered for years. Now that I'm older and have dry skin I still use her advice and products.

ill go to a spa too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> hopefully getting some money in the sumer hols so yeah 
Always try to put sunscreen on too if you're trying to get rid of dark spots(should be every day but with spots it's even more important). Let us know what you try and what works! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When you say spots do you mean acne or pigmentation? If we are talking acne your skin may not be exfoliating properly. I second Paula's Choice it has really made a difference in my acne.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately for me I suffer the same issue. I have spent years and A LOT of money trying different products in an attempt to make it better. My skin has become better as I have gotten older (I'm 27) but can still be troublesome.

I find that cleansing thoroughly at night followed by a good toner and lightweight nightcream helps. I use Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 as a toner. It is pricy but lasts a long time. I tried the number 3 but found it too harsh and this could make my skin worse as it then tried to produce more oil to compensate.

You hear a lot about when to use face scrub but for me I use an apricot scrub daily. Without this my pores just end up getting clogged and my skins looks a lot fresher for it.

As for oily hair, I find dry shampoo a godsend, not only does it make my hair look like new it adds volume!!

Unfortunately for me I suffer the same issue. I have spent years and A LOT of money trying different products in an attempt to make it better. My skin has become better as I have gotten older (I'm 27) but can still be troublesome.

I find that cleansing thoroughly at night followed by a good toner and lightweight nightcream helps. I use Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2 as a toner. It is pricy but lasts a long time. I tried the number 3 but found it too harsh and this could make my skin worse as it then tried to produce more oil to compensate.

You hear a lot about when to use face scrub but for me I use an apricot scrub daily. Without this my pores just end up getting clogged and my skins looks a lot fresher for it.

As for oily hair, I find dry shampoo a godsend, not only does it make my hair look like new it adds volume!!
Gah. Please don't tell me it's St Ives apricot scrub!

I second the tea tree and aloe vera gel.  Paula's Choice works for many people, but others have an extreme reaction to it, so if you do purchase it, as with any new product, please do a skin test first.  I didn't and that product just ruined my skin.  I had to baby it back with aloe vera gel...

By spots do you mean hyperpigmentation.  I am in my 50's and I grew up in Southern California during a time when we sun worshipped and never ever used sunscreen.  To get rid of my spots (from sun really)  I had to save up and get IPL.  It is expensive but it works and better than trying all the creams, serums etc.  Save your money and go to dermatologist if you can.  Mine suggested we try Retinol and hydroquinone but it didn't work like I thought.  So I finally saved up money for two IPL treatments and they really helped although I need more.. 

Try a spot treatment like Lush's grease lightning.

Kate Somerville's Exfolikate is amazing too! I also noticed a huge difference with my clarisonic

If you refer to pimple as spots then you go for tea tree facial bubbles from sara shantelle. 

if not you can try out their renewal whitening day and night serum. it helps in brightening your skin so your spots wont be so visible. best part is, they have a SPF of 45 in their day serum, so its a 2-in-1. 

my best friend had tried and seen results. 

good luck! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
hi princessbella.

i too suffer from oily skin and YES this skin type will age quite nicely if you upkeep it.

What i would recommend would be to find products that help keep control your oil production in check... Lol i hate to get all "science project" on this reply of mine, but i feel i need to.

Do you remember in chemistry class we would study how water would travel from a higher concentration to a lower concentration? The same applies to one's skin. Internally those that tend to have oily skin have an overproduction of oil which eventually finds it's way to our skins surface. Hence oily skin. Now if we introduce a product that has oils in it onto the surface of our skin it will send a message to the glands creating oil saying "hey no need to work so hard, weve got plenty of moisture on the surface over here!" Your skin makes the proper adjustments and stops producing so much oil. Hopefully the end result is a well balanced skin with just enough moisture inside and out..

I am currently experiencing this with the products i am using. It's working out quite nicely with much less breaking out than i normally have. The only question i have is, what happens to my skin once i stop using my current products.... back to normal overabundance of oil or a newly formed internal habit?!

I doubt i will ever find out as i love my current routine and dont see changing it anytime soon. =)

Latest posts

Back