Very oily hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My hair is so disgustingly oily that if i dont wash it for even 2 days it looks like someone poured a whole bottle of cooking oil down my hair. I have to wash it everyday and im really worried that this damages it ? Is this normal ?

My hair is so disgustingly oily that if i dont wash it for even 2 days it looks like someone poured a whole bottle of cooking oil down my hair. I have to wash it everyday and im really worried that this damages it ? Is this normal ?
I think there are plenty of people who wash their hair every day! I used to, until recently. 

Now I shampoo & condition every other day. On the days I don't, I use  a dry shampoo to soak up any excess oil. 

Honestly, I think you just have to figure out what works best for your hair type! There's not really a normal with this sort of thing. Maybe experiment with different types of shampoos or a dry shampoo & see if you can find a good balance!

I think there are plenty of people who wash their hair every day! I used to, until recently. 

Now I shampoo & condition every other day. On the days I don't, I use  a dry shampoo to soak up any excess oil. 

Honestly, I think you just have to figure out what works best for your hair type! There's not really a normal with this sort of thing. Maybe experiment with different types of shampoos or a dry shampoo & see if you can find a good balance!
Ok good to know :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> My hair doesnt seem damaged so maybe im just supposed to wash it everyday :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> i have a few friends who were just like NOOOOOOOOO when i told them i washed it everyday but maybe there hair isnt as bad as mine

When I was a teenager, my hair was exactly like yours. I washed it daily and it looked great. Nice and clean. By the time I hit my mid twenties, by hair follicles stopped over producing oil and became totally normal.

It won't hurt your scalp or hair to wash it daily if you're over producing oil.

Washing your hair daily is not bad at all specially when it is required. Rather just washing your daily will be a good thing to do than experimenting with products on your hair to stop the over oiling. You can seek some expert advice or just stick to washing your hair daily or every other day and everything should be fine. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah, I think that's totally fine too. I did that until a month or so ago when I cut my hair short. Now I can go a day between washes. You could think about a DIY coconut oil treatment. The coconut oil will soak into the hair and protect it from some damage that might be caused by the hair expanding and contracting every time it gets wet and dries again. And definitely dry shampoo! That will allow you to skip a wash every now and then if you want to. 

Yeah, I think that's totally fine too. I did that until a month or so ago when I cut my hair short. Now I can go a day between washes. You could think about a DIY coconut oil treatment. The coconut oil will soak into the hair and protect it from some damage that might be caused by the hair expanding and contracting every time it gets wet and dries again. And definitely dry shampoo! That will allow you to skip a wash every now and then if you want to. 
I would avoid adding oil of any kind to a head that's over producing oil in the first place. When my scalp was over producing oil a hair dresser recommended using oily products and trying to extend the time between washes believing this would correct the problem but it didn't and I would look like a bum with oil saturated limp hair.

Over production of oil is an internal issue and sometimes hormone related. Ayurvedic dietary changes can help but I still say washing is the best and easiest solution to the problem.

Something that can happen to both facial skin and scalp is oil rebound. If the skin/scalp is over stripped of oil you will begin to produce more oil. Look for gentle products and shampoo only when needed.

I didn't know this when I was younger and both Momma and myself would shampoo daily, sometimes twice daily, we always had greasy oily hair. Finally I thought to ask my Ninny what her secret was and she said "Y'all are washing the dickens out of your hair. Start washing twice a week and don't worry, your head will adjust" It was hard at first, the first three weeks there was some oilies, but my scalp did adjust to the gentle treatment. Soon my hair stayed perfect with only 2 a week washing, no greasy oily hair.

Now I shampoo once a week (unless I've gotten sweaty of course) and use extra virgin organic coconut oil once a month as a conditioner treatment.

I would avoid adding oil of any kind to a head that's over producing oil in the first place. When my scalp was over producing oil a hair dresser recommended using oily products and trying to extend the time between washes believing this would correct the problem but it didn't and I would look like a bum with oil saturated limp hair.

Over production of oil is an internal issue and sometimes hormone related. Ayurvedic dietary changes can help but I still say washing is the best and easiest solution to the problem.
Well different things will work for different people. I have very oily hair, and I only use coconut oil on the lengths, never near the scalp. Leave it in for an hour or more and then shampoo it out. It just makes my hair softer and stronger - it doesn't make it look or feel greasier, because it's my scalp producing the oil and I'm not leaving the oil in my hair without washing it. The point is to let it penetrate the hair shaft and then wash off what's on the surface.

Apple Cider Vinegar is the best treatment for oily hairs.

• Mix two to three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water.
  • After washing your hair with a mild shampoo, use this solution as a rinse.
  • Wait for a few minutes, and then wash it off with cold water.
  • Repeat two or three times a week.

Hello ladies!

I have combination skin however extremely oily hair! So I've got a few recommenations for you:

- Look for a different shampoo/conditioner combo that is suited to oily hair. Personally, I double shampoo focusing on the roots of my hair .

- Never use leave in conditioners.

- Rinse you hair with white vinegar , it may help you manage oily hair (more tips here) .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, princessbella. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

A good tip when washing your hair is to really make sure you shampoo the roots and scalp well. Sometimes people make the mistake of putting shampoo on top of their hair, but not the roots and scalp. So when you wash your hair, make sure you massage the shampoo into the roots of your hair and scalp. But do this gently and then rinse your hair and scalp really well.

Hello ladies!

I have combination skin however extremely oily hair! So I've got a few recommenations for you:

Look for a different shampoo/conditioner combo that is suited to oily hair. Personally, I double shampoo focusing on the roots of my hair .

- Never use leave in conditioners.

- Rinse you hair with white vinegar , it may help you manage oily hair (more tips here https://therighthairstyles.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-hair/ ) .

I used Leonor Greyl shampoo for my oily hair skin.

It contains. 

INGREDIENTS: Vitamin E

PRODUCT TYPES: Paraben-free, Scalp Treatment, Shampoo

APPLICATION AREA: Hair, Scalp

HAIR TYPE: Dry HairOily Hair

Last edited by a moderator:
Try Dove shampoo and conditioner twice in a week...........

It really works..............;-)

Hey there! 

So I have oily hair too and my hair LOVE's to be washed. However, the oils are good for your hair they say and I must agree but if your hair likes to be washed that's what it likes! I can go 1-2 days 3 max without washing it, but I also use several different Shampoo's when I do wash it. I don't use them all at the same time but I do shampoo my hair twice when I shower (small amounts). I have been doing it for years and my hair LOVE's it! I also try to only condition the ends not so much on my scalp since that is where all the oil comes out of, I feel like the conditioner just adds to the oils I just washed off. LOL  hope this helps. 

Latest posts

Back