Alternative to eyeshadow primer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love what eyeshadow primer does, but I seem to be allergic to whatever magical ingredient they use to make them.  I've tried three different brands (including drugstore brands and primo brands), and each one leaves my eyes itchy and red.

So, what can I do to make my eyeshadow colors stay true and last all day, if I can't use primer?  Alternative products, tips, tricks?  Thanks ladies and gents!

I love the color tattoos under my shadows. 

I usually use the  NYX white eye shadow base, and it seems to be easy on the eyes, because my eyes are irritated by almost all eye products. But NYX seems to be fine by my eyes' standards.

The only other primer I found that doesn't irritate my eyes is the Blackheart Beauty primer I picked up from Hot Topic on a whim one day. 

You can use concealer on your eyes.  Or like the others mentioned color tattoos or a shadow pencil.  I personally love Milani's Shadow Eyez pencil in Almond.

You can use concealer on your eyes.  Or like the others mentioned color tattoos or a shadow pencil.  I personally love Milani's Shadow Eyez pencil in Almond.
Yep!

Milani and Jordana are related companies, and I just discovered the new Jordana 12 HR Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencils are the exact same product (identical formula) as the Milani ShadowEyez. Not only that, they're less expensive (3.99@Jordana, 6.99@Milani).

The Jordana colors duplicate the Milani shades, so you can get both matte white and almond.

They dry to a waterproof/creaseproof finish, but they are creamy enough so that you do have enough time to spread/smudge them all over your lid, if you're using them in place of a primer.

Highly recommended!

As alternatives to eye primers, I would suggest cream shadows, those non creasing pot eyeliners and perhaps a heavy duty longwearing foundation or concealer (I would suggest the MAC Pro Longwear range!). :wub:

Yep!

Milani and Jordana are related companies, and I just discovered the new Jordana 12 HR Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencils are the exact same product (identical formula) as the Milani ShadowEyez. Not only that, they're less expensive (3.99@Jordana, 6.99@Milani).

The Jordana colors duplicate the Milani shades, so you can get both matte white and almond.

They dry to a waterproof/creaseproof finish, but they are creamy enough so that you do have enough time to spread/smudge them all over your lid, if you're using them in place of a primer.

Highly recommended!
Ohhh good to know! I'll have to try out the Jordana one when my Milani one runs out.  I love the almond color.

One of my favorite is Mac's paint pot in Painterly. It's a cream shadow that drys to a powdery finish and blending is a dream! It's close to skin color and keeps your shadow color true to intended color. I think is $18, but I purchased my last one almost 2 years ago and still going strong.

I've used regular concealer and it works fine. Have you tried the MAC ones? I haven't bought a new one in a few years but it came in the tube.

Just using concealer works or some setting powder. Also, cream shadows are lovely unless you have problems with shadows creasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Red apple lipstick has recently come out with an eyeshadow primer and it's more natural and safe. It's mineral based. Their ingredient are posted online so maybe you can compare it to the ones you're allergic too. I like it a lot and it's not drying. I have also tried jane iredales eye primer for a more natural one, did not like it. It was like a moisturizer and didn't keep the eye shadow on longer.

If you try the cream eyeshadow route, I've found they work best with just a very thin layer. MAC Paintpots, for example, work great until I get too much on, then they crease. I have somewhat oily eyelids, though, so that might not be a concern of yours. Good luck!

Before I knew anything about eye primers, I used to use my foundation or concealer.  Currently, I use the Color Tattoos if I don't feel like using a primer.

I read somewhere (in the diy pressed shadow world) that a drop or two of vegetable glycerine can be used to prime the eyelids.  It is a vegetable derivative and may work for you.  You can buy it from TKB Trading or even a drugstrore (my Walgreens sells it.)  But, please research this more thoroughly before you take my word for it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back