Hi, I'm new, just joined Birchbox for $5. What subscriptions are GREAT? :)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I think this is the " come to" place on the net for unbiased talk about subscription boxes.. I read a lot of opinions,  but when some reviewers  get compensated or get free boxes, some of them won't look at the price vs. the value with a critical eye, it seems. And some reviewers have gluten- free and vegan preferences which limit their reviews, which is their choice, of course. But, it's confusing! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just subbed to Birchbox last week when they had a $5 special for the first box in May, and I will be getting the following ( don't know sizes but know they are tiny to fit in the box):

Perlier Body Cream 
Supergoop product
Cynthia Rowley Eyeliner
Beauty Protector Hair Protect and Detangle Spray
Harvey Prince " Hello" fragrance sample

I'm SO excited!!! I also found a discount on a snack food box- Urthbox, and I signed up for the Medium size box subscription last week 
Discounts were the motivation behind those two but now I'm ready to hit the others. Birchbox has just posted what I will have in my box and I am like a kid again with this. 

I would like to get 4-5 other boxes per month. I don't have any specialized wants or needs and would like to keep the boxes mainstream and as good a value as possible. I'm definitely NOT looking for vegan or natural products as they are priced higher, of course. 
Full- sized products are a HUGE PLUS for me as I do not use up samples very well most of the time, I've found. Birchbox is so affordable, I think it's worth it, though. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Here's where YOU come in.
Please tell a newbie what you like best in subscription boxes, and if you want to, tell why. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My price limit for each subscription needs to be around $35 or less... I don't want any more food things since I have a lot of weight to lose. THANKS! 

THANK YOU!!
GiGi

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried a LOT of boxes. I did Blush for 2 months-it's ok, but I started getting sick of small products, so I canceled it. Same with Glossy as well-though I do like that sub quite a bit, much better than Birchbox. Popsugar is fun and a good mix of beauty and lifestyle items. I'm a little bit older, in my mid 30s, and I'm not really a fan of all the small samples! I signed up for BeautyDNA and I love that one so much I canceled all my other beauty boxes. I've loved every item I've received, plus they are always full-size items. Sometimes I get one item, and sometimes I get 2. $25 a month and sometimes the retail values are upwards of $70.

I also do the bulubox weightless box, which i got a really great deal on, something like $5 a month plus you get points for reviewing box products and you usually end up breaking even, and you can use your points on full-size items in their store.

That's pretty much it for me, though I subscribe to a few limited edition boxes such as Nina Garcia and Popsugar limited edition!

If you're into trying new stuff, Memebox.com is AWESOME. They always include at least some full-sized products and they have superboxes, based on specific needs (anti-aging, suncare, etc) which contain nothing but full-sized products. They are very skincare heavy, but I love Korean cosmetics for skincare, not makeup. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Check out that section if you wanna see more boxes.

Blush mystery box is about $24 a month and offers lots of full-sized skincare products and a bit of makeup.

Ipsy - this is good if you want makeup. But... the makeup, in my opinion, is generally pretty low quality. :/ I don't find very many good things here (just my opinion, a lot of people love it). For example, this month they are sending everyone a Nyx butter gloss. If you like lower tier makeup, Ipsy is good for the $10 price. It just isn't really my thing. Some months you may get lucky (*maybe*) and get a small Benefit or Urban Decay sample, but it is rare, and a chance! Not everyone gets those because there are bag variations.

Sample Society is $15 and sends out deluxe skincare samples. They send really good, expensive brands, lol. But you get a coupon for $15 off $50 every month, which you can use on any order that features at least 1 product from that month's box. It ships really fast, by UPS, usually near the beginning of the month.

I think PopSugar Must Have is awesome. It has a nice mix of beauty, lifestyle, fitness, and usually one healthy snack per box. It sends jewelry sometimes, great scarves, eyeshadow palettes, etc -- all full sized!

It's 39.99/month BUT you can usually get the first month for around $5 to $15 off as they give frequent coupon codes.

I think ipsy is a great sub for $10/month. It is different enough from BirchBox that you won't usually get any duplicate products, plus ipsy often sends out at least a few full size items.

Welcome! I'm 2 months in with glossybox ($21)and love it so far. I also sub to birchbox. I am thinking of adding BeautyDNA also. Every 3 months I do Nina Garcia quarterly and have added Rachel Yeomans and 1000 places(also from quarterly). These are pricey but only go out quarterly so I divide the payment by what I would pay for 3 months. It makes me feel better.

Boxy Charm has become one of my favorite subscription boxes. It's $21 a month and you get 5 beauty products. The products are almost always full-size and the value has been incredible. I've been subscribed for about 4 months now and I highly recommend it.

Lip Factory is another good one value-wise. It costs $22 a month and you get 5-6 products. They do an All Lip products box every 3 or 4 months but all the other months are various beauty products. 

And of course Pop Sugar Must Have. Great value. All sorts of different stuff. Super Fun.

Oh and Ipsy! Ipsy is fantastic for such a low price. Another one of my faves.

Is Boxy Charm a USA box? I've not seen it on anyone's " lists" of sub boxes. 

I'm going to try Glossybox. I got a gift one when they first started and I liked what I got a lot. The sizes of some things were full- sized.

I have a list going here beside me with poster's recommendations. It's helping me a lot. I'm glad to see positive comments about Pop Sugar because at one time, people seemed kinda down on it. Maybe it was one of the $100 special boxes that didn't measure up? Not sure.

I've got to decide between " many boxes with samples" which I am not that inclined to use, knowing me, and " a few boxes with full sized products" and hope they are " surprises" I will like... It's a lot easier to dislike everything about one month's  $10 box, IMO, than it is a $50 box. 
I wish I was rolling in $$$. LOL.

I'm going to try Glossybox. I got a gift one when they first started and I liked what I got a lot. The sizes of some things were full- sized.

I have a list going here beside me with poster's recommendations. It's helping me a lot. I'm glad to see positive comments about Pop Sugar because at one time, people seemed kinda down on it. Maybe it was one of the $100 special boxes that didn't measure up? Not sure.

I've got to decide between " many boxes with samples" which I am not that inclined to use, knowing me, and " a few boxes with full sized products" and hope they are " surprises" I will like... It's a lot easier to dislike everything about one month's  $10 box, IMO, than it is a $50 box. 

Yes, that is a tough decision. You might have to try several different ones for a month before you figure oout the best mix for you, but I will say that out of all the sub boxes (and I get a load) I tend to use the Popsugar stuff most consistently because it's such a variety. They send the items I never even knew I "needed" and then I end up using many of them constantly.

If you are really interested in full size makeup, I forgot to mention above that you might like Wantable a lot - they customize and send out 3 or 4 full size items based on your profile. It's $36/month but returns are always accepted.

Also look at past spoilers or spoiler sites. I read them all the time. I know a lot of them have reviews on all popsugar boxes.

I have Birchbox and Ipsy both and I love them both for different reasons! I love the points rewards system that Birchbox has!! And they have a lot of higher end samples. Ipsy isn't high end, but you get some full size and mostly deluxe size samples, and the value is great for the money! (Most of my bags average about $35-$40 value for only $10!)

I also enjoy Memebox. I recently got the Lucky Box #5 and I love everything in that box!!! Full size and very deluxe size samples. I added it up and there was over $110 worth of product for only $30 including shipping! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I love a deal!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yes, that is a tough decision. You might have to try several different ones for a month before you figure oout the best mix for you, but I will say that out of all the sub boxes (and I get a load) I tend to use the Popsugar stuff most consistently because it's such a variety. They send the items I never even knew I "needed" and then I end up using many of them constantly.

If you are really interested in full size makeup, I forgot to mention above that you might like Wantable a lot - they customize and send out 3 or 4 full size items based on your profile. It's $36/month but returns are always accepted.
I bought many makeup sets from Wantables before they turned their business into subscription type services. I liked, but did not love, what I purchased. I an not a brand snob, but close to it. I did not like some of the brands they kept using at that time. It may be different now. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just subscribed to Pop Sugar.

Here's my list, which is longer than I had thought because so many sites had Memorial Day deals:

Birchbox- on schedule for June 

Ipsy- Ditto, and I know what to expect with these two

From the Lab- Great discount from Plum District, so I am trying it

Blush Box

Glossybox

PopSugar Must Have

Beauty DNA

Urthbox ( snacks)- had a huge discount for first month

I will probably drop From the Lab, as BeautyDNA seems better, and Urthbox, because I am dieting,,, 

I consider Ipsy and Birchbox to be little whimsies.. try it boxes. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Are there any clothing or accessory sub that are great? I did Golden Tote ( not recurring but still curated) for a while but the sizing was a bit iffy for me and they sent some of the same items in a few of the $149 totes... I love their styling though. I am a casual person. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have Birchbox and Ipsy both and I love them both for different reasons! I love the points rewards system that Birchbox has!! And they have a lot of higher end samples. Ipsy isn't high end, but you get some full size and mostly deluxe size samples, and the value is great for the money! (Most of my bags average about $35-$40 value for only $10!)

I also enjoy Memebox. I recently got the Lucky Box #5 and I love everything in that box!!! Full size and very deluxe size samples. I added it up and there was over $110 worth of product for only $30 including shipping! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I love a deal!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
The thing I always keep in mind about Birchbox and Ipsy is that they are truly sample boxes for a little bit of money. I mean, no one is going to get MAC cosmetics or Chanel or Gucci fragrances from either one, but I have found some fun things just from the Birchbox that arrived today. 

I used the 20% discount Birchbox gave me for joining ( for $5) to buy the Harvey Prince " Hello" fragrance spray. 20% off with free shipping is a very good deal in the cosmetics world. 

Someone with patience and experience is going to have to help me with the Meme boxes because the site is a bit overwhelming for a newbie, lol. There were tons of boxes to order, and I didn't understand the differences. I love Asian BB cream, and have light skin, so it works extremely well for me. Do the products come from Korea or is there a USA distributor? 

The thing I always keep in mind about Birchbox and Ipsy is that they are truly sample boxes for a little bit of money. I mean, no one is going to get MAC cosmetics or Chanel or Gucci fragrances from either one, but I have found some fun things just from the Birchbox that arrived today.

I used the 20% discount Birchbox gave me for joining ( for $5) to buy the Harvey Prince " Hello" fragrance spray. 20% off with free shipping is a very good deal in the cosmetics world.

Someone with patience and experience is going to have to help me with the Meme boxes because the site is a bit overwhelming for a newbie, lol. There were tons of boxes to order, and I didn't understand the differences. I love Asian BB cream, and have light skin, so it works extremely well for me. Do the products come from Korea or is there a USA distributor?
Following this because I am *thisclose* to making my first ever box purchase with meme box. I agree the site is overwhelming. So it's not really a sub box, you just order the box you want when you want?

I just scheduled my first stitch fix for June. It's $20 styling fee, free returns, and if you keep any item the $20 is applied to it. You also get like 25% off if you keep everything. I also read on ramblings that a new one just started called front door fashion and there is no styling fee for that and you just pay for what you keep. I am hoping to read reviews on that one before I sign up.

Yah Boxy Charm is a USA box. For some reason not that many people seem to subscribe to it. It started out only sending out drugstore items so I think that's why people don't subscribe. But Boxy Charm upped their game in the past year and send out really high-value boxes now. If you look up some reviews for the past couple months of boxes you can see some items that they send out. I subscribe to a ton of boxes every month and Boxy Charm quickly became my favorite. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For some non-beauty options, my favorites are:

Rocksbox - a jewelry "rental" service, where you keep your box for as long as you want and send it back for a new box. (3 pieces at a time, $19/month for $200+ value in each box)

Naturebox - Snacks, GMO free ingredients, healthy options. Love their granola, plantain chips, cocoa almonds, sesame sticks. $19.99/box (5 snacks)

Golden Tote - a tote of clothes! Pick 2 items from their collection each month and receive 4-5 surprise items for $149, or pick one from their collection plus 2-3 surprise items for $49. if you get things you don't like, you can swap with their community on Facebook.

I just scheduled my first stitch fix for June. It's $20 styling fee, free returns, and if you keep any item the $20 is applied to it. You also get like 25% off if you keep everything. I also read on ramblings that a new one just started called front door fashion and there is no styling fee for that and you just pay for what you keep. I am hoping to read reviews on that one before I sign up.
Tried them once. I ended up with a bunch of white shirts sent to me, no kidding. I sent everything back- I thought it was really cheap looking even for white shirts, and spent $20 for shipping. 

Won't ever go back to Stitch Fix. I hope they have improved, or maybe my taste is more classic and they are more boho... I really hope you find something you like in your box to justify the $20 they charge to send out random tops. I didn't get anything coordinating nor a dress, and I used their services when you had price ranges to choose from and I chose a high one.

For some non-beauty options, my favorites are:

Rocksbox - a jewelry "rental" service, where you keep your box for as long as you want and send it back for a new box. (3 pieces at a time, $19/month for $200+ value in each box)

Naturebox - Snacks, GMO free ingredients, healthy options. Love their granola, plantain chips, cocoa almonds, sesame sticks. $19.99/box (5 snacks)

Golden Tote - a tote of clothes! Pick 2 items from their collection each month and receive 4-5 surprise items for $149, or pick one from their collection plus 2-3 surprise items for $49. if you get things you don't like, you can swap with their community on Facebook.
I wouldn't ever want to wear rented jewelry items for fear I would break a jewelry piece. I've never broken MY jewelry but Murphy's Law and all that- I would theirs. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I almost did sub to Rocksbox by accident but found out it was rental jewelry and cancelled. I want to keep what I love and I want it to be new when I get it. 

I've tried Nature Box, It's not bad but I am NOT a picky eater so I can't justify a higher cost for non this and natural that. I'm sure you are healthier than I am but I am working on a strict diet at this point. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love the ladies at Golden Tote. I have loved everything I have ever bought from them, which will fill a small closet. I was WAY into their service a couple of years ago.

To be painfully honest, at this time I need to lose some weight to feel great about spending money on clothes again. ( Hanging my head in abject shame- but it's the truth).

I'm " middle- aged". I think the " middle" part is more because your " middle' grows. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

On a positive note, y'all pushed me right into MeMe box with the posts about their boxes on their thread. I bought the upcoming Lucky Box #6 and have absolutely NO idea what I have bought LOL. The Meme website positively scares the bejeebus out of me for some reason. It's here, there and everywhere all at once.  Lots of new summer e books out for my Kindle Fire that I want to buy. Is there a sub for that? Ha. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Love this site. You all are great. Age differences do make some difference in what we choose and love occasionally but I think we ALL recognize "great" and " fun". 

GiGi

Following this because I am *thisclose* to making my first ever box purchase with meme box. I agree the site is overwhelming. So it's not really a sub box, you just order the box you want when you want?
OMGosh, B2, there are SO MANY little ad boxes on Meme box.. You pick one and dive in from what I can see. I couldn't find any discounts for anything unless you spend $100 and I think it expired yesterday...

So, yes, you pick the box you want and from what I could see it is not recurring. 

I got something called :" Lucky Box #6: mainly because Lucky Boxes are described as the best of past boxes plus some new things and because... it wasn't sold out. Tons of things on  the site are actually unavailable for purchase now. Sigh. It's a fun and cute site but overwhelming for newbies like us. I kept looking for a " Hello Kitty" box, to be honest.. I do not like Hello Kitty, just figured there would be one, :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

GiGI

Latest posts

Back