June 1, 2014: What was your first makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first makeup was probably Bonnie Bell (that's it right?? Lol) but my mom was an Avon lady and she let me play with the samples!! Remember those little bitty lipsticks? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Several years ago I started selling Mary Kay so I really got back into makeup. Then I got burned out on the whole selling thing but I still love makeup! When I started my birchbox and Ipsy subs earlier this year I started becoming a little obsessed in a good way!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My mother's makeup drawer - lol My mom was a model before she got married, so she was into makeup and all of that. She was also into tanning - we even had one of those home face tanning light things.

I think the first makeup item I actually purchased with my own money was Bonnie Bell's lip smackers - I loved the cola one.

I also had sea breeze as well for my oily skin. Jean Nate for a body splash (that was so popular!) And for shampoo, one of my favorites was one that bright yellow with a plastic lemon on the top. I think I liked it for the lemon on the top. I was young, what can I say. But my love affair with all things citrus-y probably started with that shampoo.

Bonne Bell Lip Smackers over here, too!  That was also the my first experience with scent triggering migraines.  It's been almost forty years (I was in preschool.  Teeny tiny!), but I still remember Pink Lemonade and Bubble Gum causing such blinding pain that I would basically throw up and pass out.  To this day, I can't bring myself to even *think* about trying either of those to see if things have changed (on the off chance that they even still make those two flavors, that is).

Other than that, probably Mom's itty bitty Avon lipsticks or my grandmother's eyeshadow (she must have bought a cheap palette to keep around just for me to play with because I don't remember her *ever* wearing it) and her Cutex nail polish (I loved those bottles with the cuticle pusher-style cap!).  I don't remember ever *not* being into makeup.  When I was in high school, I wanted to do special effects makeup for horror movies.  My mom wanted me to be a nuclear physicist.  Neither of us got our wish.

My first makeup was probably Bonnie Bell (that's it right?? Lol) but my mom was an Avon lady and she let me play with the samples!! Remember those little bitty lipsticks? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Several years ago I started selling Mary Kay so I really got back into makeup. Then I got burned out on the whole selling thing but I still love makeup! When I started my birchbox and Ipsy subs earlier this year I started becoming a little obsessed in a good way!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Are you my sister?  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bonnie Bell brings back so many memories.  The Dr. Pepper flavored one.  My sister and I would practically just eat this.  And the Avon tiny lipsticks!  They were so much fun!  

Haha I love how similar these stories are!! My first makeup was probably something my mom gave me- however, I remember the first makeup I actually LOVED being the Lip Smackers gloss in Birthday Cake.  So addictive in middle school!

My mom was a BeautiControl Consultant (and they're actually still around, WHO KNEW?!) and has always just generally been into makeup- so I attribute this addiction to her!  She's as addicted to black eyeliner as I am.  Like mother like daughter!

I don't know what Bonnie Bell is. I feel like I missed out o_O

My first makeup was a foundation from MAC. My mom and I went together to the MAC counter to pick one out. 

Before that, I had only used chap sticks. I didn't even own nail polish.. 

@estefany  bonnie bell is a popular drug store line in the 1970's and 1980's - could still be today, but I never see it around where I live!! lol

they had a great series of lip balms that were called lip smackers and they were in flavors like dr pepper, cola, 7-up, chocolate-cherry, etc

they were HUGE lip balms.  Founds these on google....

Lipsmacker+advert+1979.JPG

Lip+smacker+sour+grapes+1978.JPG

this is my favorite - This was HUGE   - to wear it around your neck.  I was so jealous as I didn't have one that I wore around my neck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:   My older sister did (she is 6 years older than me) but I was just a little kid when these came out..

1970bonniebell.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The earliest thing I remember is Wet 'n Wild eyeliner. Through the years I rarely wore makeup. Every drug store brand I tried made me break out or have an allergic reaction of some sort. I really started wearing makeup regularly (not counting nail polish) about a month and a half ago. My roseaca/reactive redness is getting worse in my old age and I want to start covering it up.

I'm sure I had the Bonnie Belle Lip Smackers, but the first "real" makeup item I remember having is that Maybelline Kissing Potion.  It was like rolling sugar syrup onto your lips.

The when I was about 12 or so, my mom went to a "makeup party" (it wasn't Mary Kay; I don't remember the brand) and I was allowed to get eye makeup done. I got a pot of shimmery lavender eye shadow and a brush. I loved it! 

My first makeup was a Mary Kay foundation. I had severe cystic acne starting when I was 12/13, so my mom got it for me to make me feel a little less self-conscious. I think I started wearing other makeup items in high school, probably mostly from Avon. I remember a brown Glimmerstick that was my daily eyeliner.

@estefany  bonnie bell is a popular drug store line in the 1970's and 1980's - could still be today, but I never see it around where I live!! lol

they had a great series of lip balms that were called lip smackers and they were in flavors like dr pepper, cola, 7-up, chocolate-cherry, etc

they were HUGE lip balms.  Founds these on google....

Lipsmacker+advert+1979.JPG

Lip+smacker+sour+grapes+1978.JPG

this is my favorite - This was HUGE   - to wear it around your neck.  I was so jealous as I didn't have one that I wore around my neck :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:   My older sister did (she is 6 years older than me) but I was just a little kid when these came out..

1970bonniebell.jpg
WOW! I really missed out. I wasn't around for this trend :/

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52261/10-wacky-grooming-products-1970s

the scary thing is I remember a lot of these - I did use tickle deodorant in HS.  We also had Body on Tap (recognize the model in the TV commercial - that is  kim basinger!)   I forgot about Earth Born shampoo - we also had that in our household!! Lots of oily hair people - only my mom & brother had dry hair.

Back