To Splurge Or Not To Splurge?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That is the question!

What type of products do not mind splurging on? What type of products do you refuse to splurge on?

For me, I usually splurge on lipstick, powder, and foundation. I usually do not splurge on eyeshadow, brushes, lip liner/pencils, and eyebrow products.

hmmm, if I like something, and I can afford it, I will purchase it.  I guess if I splurge on anything it is face and body products now.

I usually splurge on eye shadows. I want ones that go on evenly and stay on well. For mascara, foundation, powder and eye liner, I go through them both so fast, I can't get myself to splurge on them. (my hubby is probably happy about that)

I will basically splurge on just about anything if I find something I like that I think is worth the price, but the one thing that I never mind paying top dollar for (that I know a lot of people think is stupid) is mascara. I've paid like $50 for high-end mascara (Guerlain, not worth it, but the packaging is gorgeous!) and I really don't mind as long as I get the effect I want.

I KNOW people say that drugstore mascaras work just as well but I have never found one that I can use 100% on it's own and achieve the full, long lash look I desire. I don't know, maybe at this point it's psychological, although I am enjoying the Miss Manga for my more natural lash days.

Why not wear falsies? I don't like them, plain and simple. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> So yes, I will always splurge on mascara. Sorry for the manifesto. :lol:

I am also becoming more and more willing to splurge on fragrance. Every time I find a new scent I like, it gets more expensive, whoops!

ETA: Ahhh! It gets longer! But I forgot to add that I absolutely will not ever, ever splurge on salon hair services. I get poo all the time from people who discover I cut and color my own hair (not so much color since I am going back to natural) but funnily, they had nothing but compliments before they found out I did it myself. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> If I want to try a drastically different style, I will go down to the Aveda Institute and get a student to cut it. Otherwise, maintenance is all me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind splurging on everything, but I also love a good deal. If it's something I love and am going to use daily then "here take my wallet, hubby, first born..." Kidding, sorta. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I buy drugstore stuff, but only after I research it out. I might as well buy mid to higher end and be able to make a return if it's the wrong color. It saves money in the long run. Drugstore is getting better selection, but for years I could only find good matches with department store brands. Even in High School I would spend $28 on my foundation, my friends couldn't believe it. $3 in my gas tank and $28 on my face! :drive:

*Also I think it's income, now I can buy anything and need nothing. So spending on things I like isn't as much of a luxury. Poor and wanting more was much harder!

I am willing to splurge on any item I decide I really want, but the ones I'm most likely to spend on are skincare, foundations, eyeshadows, and setting/finishing powder. I have quite a few drugstore lippies that I like just as well as expensive ones, so I'm probably less inclined to splurge on those...but I still love the packaging of certain brands enough to splurge on them (YSL & Guerlain especially...soooo pretty!).

I don't spend a lot on highlighter...cause I don't use it. So that's easy ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Also, I dye my own hair at home because I think it's ridiculously priced even at cheap salons.

I splurge on anything if I think it's worth it. I still like a lot of drugstore products, like nail polish, lip gloss, and BB cream (am I the only person who really likes the Maybelline BB cream?!). 

I think there are only 2 things that I always spend more money on, and that's foundation and skincare products. Otherwise I don't mind shopping around. 

I really don't buy crazy high priced things, like a $400 face cream. Although I'm using one now because of Glossybox and I like it, but would never purchase it. At $400 a product I'll just save and get a procedure done.

Oh,what do I NOT splurge on is the question :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 
If I feel intrigued buy a product I will buy it. This goes for skin, hair and makeup products. I always, like 100% buy highend skin and hair products. Always done it.. 

The only thing I'm iffy about splurging on are body products and some very expensive makeup items. Like Dior for instance in my country is 10x more expensive than in the US, it's sad.. For a quad of shadows it's like 80-90$ :S

I prefer to splurge than purchase low-quality items. I would rather have 3 splurges than 25 drugstore items. I splurge on all products. I can't help it! I think that once you experience high-end quality it is hard to go back.

I definitely prefer to splurge on most of the products that I use, especially when it comes to skin care, fragrance and certain makeup products like foundation and concealer. I'd rather spend $45 on one foundation that I know is a perfect match for me than have a ton of different ones that are off from my skin tone.

As far as items that I don't splurge on... usually body lotion (I love my St. Ive's!), shower gel/soap unless I'm feeling like treating myself to some Philosophy or Molton Brown, and hair care products (I love my Aussie and I rarely do anything with my hair anyway, so no need for hairspray or anything like that).

Hnnn this is a tough one. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part-

Splurge:

Blush (my most splurged product)
Highlighter
Liquid Lipsticks
Eye primer
strangely, underarm deodorant.
Fragrance

Save:
Powder foundation
Nail Polish (I've never spent upwards of 5 dollars on one)
Mascara
Eyeliner
Lip gloss/balm

Equally splurge and save:
Brushes
Lipstick
Eyeshadow.

I'll splurge on items I've had recommendation for. In general I love a bargain though.

Splurges that haven't been worth it:

MAC 109 brush

MAC Pro Longwear Paint Pot in Let's Skate

*Edited by Babs28 to remove blog promotion per our TOS* 

I splurge on primers! I like a good high end primer to add lasting power to all the dupes and less expensive stuff on my face!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My splurges are lipstick and fragrance. I love perfume but have to be careful what I buy; I don't have issues but my husband does, and the wrong product can send his eczema into orbit. The cheapest stuff I can get are certain Bath and Body Works scents (most of them are good; Sweet Pea, Moonlight Path and Twilight Woods will mess with him badly.) For him I buy only Vitamin E cleanser from The Body Shop, which he treats as a necessary splurge. Other than that, I love lippies and will gladly pay extra for a good-quality formula.

I think the only thing I refuse to pay top dollar for is mascara. I was disappointed in Diorshow, and Korres puts out a remarkably submediocre mascara; and while Benefit's They're Real is pretty good I can get the same effect from L'Oreal or Revlon at maybe a third of the price.Also, I receive a lot of mascaras in GWP's. Since I trade them out fairly frequently, I don't want to spend $25 or so on one mascara when I can get a  longer-lasting lippie or something else I'd enjoy more.

I splurge on Salon services - I'll go longer in between cuts to stretch my dollar, but I always splurge when it comes to getting my hair done.  

I splurge on any of my basics - stuff that I wear every day and never experiment with, so things like my BB Cream/Primers, Foundation, & Blush are all splurges. 

I don't splurge on mascara, eye shadow, eye liner, lipstick, or gloss...oh, or nail polish.  I change my routine with those too frequently and never go through them all, so I have a hard time spending a lot of money on those.

When I can afford it I like to treat myself to more high end products but generally for makeup I splurge on foundation and contouring products (TOM FORD Shade & Illuminate, KEVYN AUCOIN Sculpting powder).

I think, unlike skincare which I've now started spending more on, you can find good highstreet/drug store products in most categories.

I'm always (and willingly to) splurge on eyeliner and it's mostly black too.. Also splurge on foundation and lip products.  I loveeee lip products..such a junkie for it.

I don't really splurge on eyeshadows just because I have so many of them that I barely use them at all... It's just sitting there...talking to its next door palette LOL. Concealer, Blushes, Bronzes, Brushes I don't splurge. I might buy a few but it's often time throughout the year and it's usually just one or two piece. Ehh

Back