June 3, 2014: Do you apply face makeup after you do eye makeup, or before?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before, always! I know some people do it the other way around because of fallout from eye shadows but if you tap off the excess before you apply it that shouldn't be a problem.

I think face makeup first gives you a chance to create a long lasting base for your eye shadow. I have never once had eye makeup smudge or rub off (unless I was crying) and I credit it to the fact that I always do my face first.

@ which do you prefer?

I apply my face make up before I do my eyes. I've found out that if you get eye shadow under your eyes to lightly take a cotton ball over it and the fibers on the cotton ball pick up all the excess shadow that may have fallen when you put it on.

I know a lot of people say do your eyes first, but I have been doing my face makeup first for so long, I just don't think I could make the switch! LOL Something that Robert Jones does is put eye cream under the eye, do the eyes, and then wipe off the eye cream, along with the fall out... I just don't have that problem i guess... I'm just pretty careful when I do my makeup lol

I do my face first. If I don't, I end up wiping out most of the liner on my lower lid with my concealer. I'm still learning how to apply everything and I mess up less this way.

My main focus is always my complexion. I do face first, followed by some neutral eyeshadow if I'm feeling like it, or always a liquid cat eye. That's it. I can't do liquid liner before foundation. I just like doing it last.

I do my eyes first, I think because my skin doesn't need a ton of coverage or work to it.  I always end up with a tiny bit of excess eyeshadow under my eyes so I have to clean that up before I can put on foundation. I go

-Eye primer

-Face primer

-Eye shadow

-Eyeliner

-Foundation

-Blush and powder

-Brows

-Setting spray

-Mascara

Totally out of "order" haha 

It really depends for me - if I'm doing a bright colored eyeshadow-heavy look, then I absolutely do my eyes first for fallout and all those fun things.  If I'm just doing my everyday look, though, then I'm doing my eyes after my face :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do eyes first. My order of attack:

1. Eye primer

2 Face Primer

3.Brows

4. Eyeshadow

5.Mascara

6. Eyeliner

7 BB cream or StudioFix powder foundation

8. Lips

All done!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do my face before! Mainly because thats the way I watched my Mom do it and I just followed tradition! However, certain eyeshadow particularly ones with glitter seem to have a lot of fall out! So I use a business card to catch it! Just hold it under your eye!

Always before! that was you don't have to worry about messing up your eyes/brows when applying foundation. Some people prefer it the other way round, so that they dont smudge foundation but, its a lot more complicated! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I think Eye makeup should be the Last thing you do

Just saying; no Mua or expert. 

*Blog link removed by KellyKaye per our TOS*

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey

as a MUA I always do eye make up first then I tackle the face on my clients. Its the worst thing ever when you have done your face perfectly and then eyeshadow drops on your face...

there are eyeshadow shields nowadays but I just find it easier to get the eyes out the way.

hope that help xx

I usually apply my face makeup before, however when I do touch ups I will just put on new powder or new concealer without redoing my eye makeup. And sometimes, if I was trying out a new foundation and hate it, I will redo my face makeup but not my eyes. 

Latest posts

Back