Holy Grail Summer Item?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What's everyone's must have summer makeup/skin care item? It's between smashbox's photo finish light primer or my Naked 3 palette for me. I feel like i'm missing that little something extra in my routine though! I would love to hear what all ya'll think the perfect summer staple is  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have 3 or so HG summer items.

NARS' "The Multiple" in Orgasm is probably my fave go- to product.  The color and texture is just right for my dry skin in a dry hot climate. Sephora has these sticks in matte finish this season.

Another would be, as you say, the UD Nakeds palettes, but I mix and match all 3 of them, depending on mood and what I feel like doing.

My last "have to have" product is not a choice. I was born with under eye circles- no joke. So, I use Laura Mercier's Undercover Pot with the cream concealer and the sheer powder which covers up any hint of shine all day long. 

I have very good skin, so these are basically my summer makeup bag- with a swipe of Diorshow mascara if we are going out.

Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee in Pink Escape. It's so light and easy to apply with a beauty blender. 

I'm super into the Yes to Grapefruit CC cream this summer. My office doesn't have the best ventilation and I feel gross a lot of the time if I have too much product on.  Fortunately I don't need a ton of coverage so this gives me *just* enough. 

UD Primer Potion in Sin. I use this year-round but especially in summer because it does. not. budge. I can be sweating like a pig all day and not a crease or a smear will be in sight (I use it alone, as a cream shadow). The color is also perfect because I like a really glow-y look to my skin, so the shimmering champagne just fits the bill.

Blotting papers! I don't know if that counts. Makeup-wise, it would be my IT CC cream, thanks to the SPF 50. I don't like the feel of too much stuff on my skin in summer as I tend to get shiny, but I'm dead pale and need high SPF.

Blotting papers or Glo Minerals translucent powder. I also like ELF setting spray, I don't know if it does anything but it feels refreshing. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am loving these items it's already given me a few ideas for my next sephora splurge! Just curious about the CC creams, do they give a fair amount of coverage? My MUFE liquid is awesome but when it gets over 90 degrees out here (and unfortunately it does quite often) it feels way too heavy and I swear I can feel my pores clogging. I have acne scars though and every tinted moisturizer or BB cream i've tried just doesn't do the trick :/ 

Last edited by a moderator:
The coverage really varies in my experience, just like with foundations. The only thing that's probably fairly consistent is that CC creams are higher coverage than BB creams if they're within the same brand--but it's all just marketing terms with no real guidelines attached to them. The IT CC cream gives good (medium-plus) coverage, as does Smashbox CC. They're the only ones I've tried.

Bourjois Bronzing Primer

VS Make it Last Prime & Finishing Spray

Missha Perfect Cover BB cream

I'm loving Maybelline Baby Skin primer right now under my Ulta Mineral Powder Foundation. I have BareMinerals but the Ulta Powder I honestly think is sooo much better! Very breathable in the summer and on a super hot day I only have to use one blotting paper in the middle of the day and it stays on very very well!

My ELF HD finishing powder! Just bought this the other day and its the only thing that has been able to keep my face shine free! And my ECOs lip balm, my "egg" as I call it.

I am loving these items it's already given me a few ideas for my next sephora splurge! Just curious about the CC creams, do they give a fair amount of coverage? My MUFE liquid is awesome but when it gets over 90 degrees out here (and unfortunately it does quite often) it feels way too heavy and I swear I can feel my pores clogging. I have acne scars though and every tinted moisturizer or BB cream i've tried just doesn't do the trick :/ 
IF you have acne scarring that MUFE covers well, and nothing short of a foundation will cover, I'd stick with it.

I think MUFE HD foundation is a great product, and I love the long- lasting even coverage it gives to imperfections.. 

I've seen incredible makeovers with the product. Not that you need that level of coverage, just that I don't think it will let you down.

You might want to go to a makeup artist ( if you aren't one) like a really good one at a Sephora store ( not the JC Penney ones) and ask for a makeUNDER which addresses your problems of summer heat vs. the scarring you want to hide. Since MUFE is a Sephora- exclusive line, I think they should be ecstatic to help you with your needs. If you buy $50 of product, I think it is, the makeover service is free. Sometimes it is complimentary anyway. Just depends on where you go and who you get. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This summer I feel like it's all about the glowy/dewy skin. I'm loving the Benefit Sun Beam and the e.l.f. Shimmering Facial Whip in Golden Peach.

I apply them (not together, but one or the other) to my cheekbones and down the bridge of my nose BEFORE I apply my foundation, and it creates a more natural look.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to go to a makeup artist ( if you aren't one) like a really good one at a Sephora store ( not the JC Penney ones) and ask for a makeUNDER which addresses your problems of summer heat vs. the scarring you want to hide. Since MUFE is a Sephora- exclusive line, I think they should be ecstatic to help you with your needs. If you buy $50 of product, I think it is, the makeover service is free. Sometimes it is complimentary anyway. Just depends on where you go and who you get. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I never even thought of going to someone for recommendations! Awesome thank you for the tip I've been at a loss with how to combat the heat without giving up too much coverage in my makeup. I'm due for a new bottle of foundation anyways so Sephora here I come :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm currently in love with thermale sprays especially the Avene one. The spray feels so good when I'm hot. I'm in Florida and I"m always hot. The other thing I love is the Thayers Rose Witch Hazel in the fridge and come in from a hot day and wipe it on. It smells incredible and cools me right down.

highlight highlight highlight! hah.

Mine is the balm's mary loumanizer. I also think a nice, base and flushed look is important -- so revlon colorstay (i have dry skin but during the summer get a bit oily, so this matte foundation helps me look dewy without looking like an oil spill), and nyx cream blush in boho chic <3

Back