June 8, 2014: What books are you curling up with this summer?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason, I tend to read Philip K. Dick in the summer.  I'm not sure why.  I've got a bunch of his short stories on my phone, and I need to make a list of what novels I have in dead tree form and gradually pick the rest up.

Also:  _The Space Merchants_ and its sequel, _The Merchants' War_.  I want to revisit Max Barry this summer, too.  I've read _Jennifer Government_ and _Syrup_, but I want to reread them, plus he's written several more since then that I want to pick up.  And the Russian _Night Watch_ series.  I've read the first two, started the third, have the first four, and just discovered there's a fifth!  And _Battle Royale_.  That's been on my buy-it-and-read-it list for years.  And I would like to *finally* finish _Snowcrash_ and _Zodiac_, both by Neal Stephenson.  And in the local authors area, _The Legend of Bold Riley_ and _Darius Logan: Super Justice Force_.  I started it, really liked what I read, and need to finish it!  

(I really need to pull all of the books I want to read this summer off my bookshelves in the kitchen/dining area and create a designated READ THESE space in my living room.)

Hmm. One of my all time faves is Sleeping Roses. I just got done reading Gray Matter and now reading the second book. I don't really plan on which books I'm gonna read, I just find them when I finish one. Goodreads helps out a bunch!

For some reason, I tend to read Philip K. Dick in the summer.  I'm not sure why.  I've got a bunch of his short stories on my phone, and I need to make a list of what novels I have in dead tree form and gradually pick the rest up.

Also:  _The Space Merchants_ and its sequel, _The Merchants' War_.  I want to revisit Max Barry this summer, too.  I've read _Jennifer Government_ and _Syrup_, but I want to reread them, plus he's written several more since then that I want to pick up.  And the Russian _Night Watch_ series.  I've read the first two, started the third, have the first four, and just discovered there's a fifth!  And _Battle Royale_.  That's been on my buy-it-and-read-it list for years.  And I would like to *finally* finish _Snowcrash_ and _Zodiac_, both by Neal Stephenson.  And in the local authors area, _The Legend of Bold Riley_ and _Darius Logan: Super Justice Force_.  I started it, really liked what I read, and need to finish it!  

(I really need to pull all of the books I want to read this summer off my bookshelves in the kitchen/dining area and create a designated READ THESE space in my living room.)
I read Battle Royale a few summers ago and remember thinking that it was seriously twisted, but also an awesome book.

Nerd alert, but I'm thinking about re-reading Harry Potter. I've read them once quite awhile back, and kind of want to go through them again and see what I missed the first time around.

For now, I've been reading Connected by Kim Karr. And I have to say, I'm in love with River Wilde. It's not like my love for Kellan Kyle on Thoughtless Series by S.C. Stephens, but it's close. These are books i'll recommend reading this summer. It'll make your whole summer!  :wub:

J.R Ward books...I can't seem to put them down, haha. I just finished the Black Dagger series (really good) and now I'm reading the Fallen Angel series. I'm already on book #2. Jim Heron is my new hero!

I just received a Kickstarter reward last weekend, and I started it yesterday:  The Maze of Games.  It's a story (it calls itself a novel, but I wouldn't due simply to the number of pages I think of as traditionally being in a novel.  A novella, sure, but not a full-blown novel!), but you read a page or three and then solve a puzzle, and you don't read it straight through.  First, you solve a maze that tells you the order to read the story in, and then each story puzzle (mazes, word searches, crosswords, word puzzles, trivia, you name it) gives you a clue, and then all of the clues combine at the end of the story.  And then since this was a Kickstarter thing, there are something like thirty extra puzzles not related to the story at the end of the book.  I can't wait to get the pdf and solvable e-book versions so I can stop photocopying the pages (I don't want to write directly in the book because it's a piece of art!).

(I'm currently stuck on the eighth puzzle.  It's a logic/math puzzle, and I am a-struggling.  I didn't completely solve the word puzzle involving medieval weaponry, but I got the clue, so I called it good!)

I just received a Kickstarter reward last weekend, and I started it yesterday: The Maze of Games. It's a story (it calls itself a novel, but I wouldn't due simply to the number of pages I think of as traditionally being in a novel. A novella, sure, but not a full-blown novel!), but you read a page or three and then solve a puzzle, and you don't read it straight through. First, you solve a maze that tells you the order to read the story in, and then each story puzzle (mazes, word searches, crosswords, word puzzles, trivia, you name it) gives you a clue, and then all of the clues combine at the end of the story. And then since this was a Kickstarter thing, there are something like thirty extra puzzles not related to the story at the end of the book. I can't wait to get the pdf and solvable e-book versions so I can stop photocopying the pages (I don't want to write directly in the book because it's a piece of art!).

(I'm currently stuck on the eighth puzzle. It's a logic/math puzzle, and I am a-struggling. I didn't completely solve the word puzzle involving medieval weaponry, but I got the clue, so I called it good!)
This sounds right up my alley. I'm going to have to go look for it now.

I just finished Cinder by Marissa Meyer. A MUTer (can't remember who) recommended it on another thread, and I really enjoyed it. I hadn't read any YA books for awhile, but I can see myself going on a YA kick for the rest of the summer.

This sounds right up my alley. I'm going to have to go look for it now.
It's available from Penny Arcade now! I don't think you're going to find it in anywhere else aside from the Kickstarter launched today for the audiobook (there are a few pledge levels where you can get the hardcover as part of that campaign).

Latest posts

Back