can not find the right foundation..

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every foundation I try on makes my pores stand out even more and make them look powdery.. It's not like I'm caking it on. I'm just doing like a test area on my skin and it looks so powdery and just not right. I'm definitely not a pro at all cause all I wear is eyeliner and mascara but I would really love to get into wearing face makeup without looking like a clown! Lol

I know this will sound weird since your having problems with your makeup looking powdery but have you ever tried a powder foundation? Right now I've been using the Maybelline Baby Skin instant pore eraser primer and then I use the Ulta Mineral powder foundation over it and it looks sooo natural but gives a good amount of coverage. Also if you think it looks powdery you could try a makeup setting spray when you are done putting on your foundation..

Have you tried using it with a primer? Maybe the foundation you using/trying is too heavy for your skin? What about moisturizer? I know for me, if I use the wrong type of moisturizer, my foundation will look a hot mess. Do you also exfoliate? Removing dead skin cell is sometimes the key.

I tried the foundation with urban decay face primer and yes I do use face lotion but still it doesn't help! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and I should try exfoliating.. Any good products?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exfoliators are better for the skin if they're beads. It's more gentle at removing the dead skin cells. Aveeno has one that I liked but I don't remember exactly what it is called. Try to do this 2-3 times a week and follow with a good moisturizer, I think this will help. I also got a pore minimizer in my BB and I like it a lot for my pores. It's Dr. something and I can't remember it right now, but it comes in a gray tube. Help me out ladies! lol

Definitely, put on a primer before you apply any face makeup.  This will decrease the look of your pores.  The primer I use and recommend is the Foundation Primer by Laura Mercier.

Second, use a makeup setting spray afterwards.  It will get rid of any powdery look and make things look a lot more natural.  I recommend the Urban Decay All-Nighter Makeup Setting Spray or the Urban Decay De-Slick Makeup Setting Spray if you have oily skin.

Foundation primer is a must:). I'm really liking one by IT cosmetics and tarte has some nice ones. Make sure to let the primer set for a few minutes before putting the foundation on top. Two foundations I really like that do not emphasize more pores are tarte Amazonian airbrush powder foundation (or the liquid version if you prefer). I also lie, laura Geller's balance and brighten because it's easy to match skin tone. The other tip is to use the brush that goes with it...sometimes the brush makes a difference as well.

It could be a combination of factors - depending on your skin type (oily, combination, dry), what tools and methods you use to apply your foundation, and the type of foundation all affect the outcome and end result. If you have dry skin, you probably want to stay away from powder foundations, and make sure you're using a good moisturizer and primer underneath. Try stippling the foundation onto your skin and then very lightly buff it out. If you're using a setting powder over the foundation, use it minimally and make sure you brush off any excess. 

Someone else mentioned exfoliating - I have a microdermabrasion scrub from Derma-E that I love. It's under $30, lasts for MONTHS, and has seriously improved the texture of my skin. I used to get those littly dry, flakey, powdery looking patches before but I haven't had that problem since using the scrub. I wouldn't use it more than 2 times a week though, because over-exfoliating can cause your skin to do all sorts of weird things too. 

Back