What do you do to keep your makeup on your face?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

PerfumedDog

Hi girls/guys :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a question!  So whenever I take off or put on a blouse if I am wearing makeup the foundation gets very much on the neck part.....

Today I was in an expensive store trying on a blouse that cost $1000 - yes you heard that right - and I smeared foundation all over it when taking it on/off.  I was absolutely mortified and terrified that they would see it and make me pay and I didn't even have my bank card with me, I never buy stuff on the spot but plan out months in advance...

Fortunately she didn't notice but yeahhhh, this happens every time, I thought it was just with my white blouse but it happens everywhere apparently so girls please give me some advice!

BTW this has happened with Dior forever foundation and a sample of I think it was Clinique!  HELP!

I have yet to find a base that didn't transfer, outside of theatrical makeup. Perhaps a lighter application of the foundation, and set it with a good powder. There are professional makeup artists who are members here, who can give you far better recommendations than I, as well as forum topics galore to search. Myself, I have had good results using UD Deslick powder; while that's more for blotting oil, it seems to do a good job in keeping light makeup in place.

And next time, for heaven's sake, be careful in the fitting room! :)

powder your foundation and get a setting spray. bases all transfer, no matter what, but these things help it from migrating around, especially onto expensive bits of clothing! 

This only happens to me if my shirt rubs hard against my face. If it just brushes against it there isn't ever any transfer and I use the cheap stuff. It seems to stay on pretty well. There's a setting spray I've seen on Pinterest which is supposed to keep your make up on through anything. But I haven't tried it!

Hi, I've had better luck with powder foundations...really liking Tarte's amazon clay powder foundation especially with their brushes. As others have mentioned, setting sprays help a lot too. Urban decay makes a nice one. You could also try putting some tissues in the collar for pulling on and off.

I'd like to know how to prevent this as well. I've tried a lot of things that are supposed to help with preventing makeup from sliding and slipping on your face. right now i'm using urban decay's deslick makeup setting spray and it seems to work pretty well with making my makeup last... but it still doesn't prevent the rubbing-off-on-clothes thing! 

Finding a foundation that is less transferrable will help you with this - as will using a setting powder. I personally really like NARS Sheer Glow foundation and bareMinerals new liquid foundation. I haven't had issues with transferrance with either of these. Try them out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Translucent powder and a setting spray that bets suits your skin type are must haves when it comes to keeping your makeup in place. Unfortunately even when using these products, it's not 100% guaranteed that you won't have some makeup transfer to clothing or other places.

It's important to keep your hands away from your face as much as possible for multiple reasons. Your hands are covered in germs/oil and will cause breakouts. Touching your face will also smear your foundation, and then you'll have it on your hands. This of course leads to getting it EVERYWHERE.

So, don't touch. Powder away + setting spray. Good to go!

I don't care what anyone says about MUFE HD powder...I like it.  It totally gives me that "dim/good lighting" effect.

This happens mostly because your face wasn't prepared for makeup in the first place. Washing away dirt, oil and old makeup will help the new makeup to stay longer on your face. Also you need to exfoliate your face at least two times a week to get rid of the dead skin and etc. Good foundation is also important

Stay don't stray primer from Benefit for my under eyes, beneath my under eye concealer, eye primer for shadows, and then mist all over with Skindinavia.

the Philosophy primer called "The Present" is a HEAVY DUTY primer that will keep makeup on your face like glue. It is a little tricky to use though - make sure it has enough time to dry before putting anything on top of it

Back