June 16, 2014: Waterproof mascara? Yes? No?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I detest waterproof mascara... I feel like no matter what brand I use, it just ends up looking really clumpy and awful and it is so hard to get off! I'd almost rather just go without. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I DID just recently discover Anastasia's Lash Genius Waterproof Topcoat through and I love love love it! I can put it on over the top of my regular mascara & it actually works surprisingly well (I was skeptical, admittedly). 

The only one I like is MUFE Aqua Smoky Lash. This was my holy grail mascara for several years - it is sooo much better than the non-waterproof version! I don't remember it being all that difficult to remove, either, which is a big deal for me.

... I should give it a go again, I'd say. it's been ages since I used it!

Super straight Asian lashes here so I swear by waterproof mascara to hold my curl.  A few pumps with my trusty Shu Uemura lash curler and Cover Girl Lashblast Volume Waterproof mascara and I'm good to go for the whole day. Holds the curl, very little smudging (only on hot, sweaty outdoor days), and no flaking.

I just recently bought the Urban Decay Cannonball Ultra Waterproof to see if non-drugstore brands are any better.  Holds the curl well, but definitely some smudging by the end of the day.  

I also have the Anastasia topcoat--bought it because I have so many non-waterproof mascaras from subs, GWP's, and L'oreal comps that I didn't want to waste them.  I like the topcoat, but I find it works best for me if I use the curler, apply the topcoat (to hold the curl), the mascara, and another layer of topcoat.  A lot more effort than a swipe of the waterproof mascara, but it gives me a lot more mascara options. 

For removal, I'm currently using the Lancome Bifacil (bought it online at Sephora with 20% FF), and it works great but no better than the Neutrogena I normally buy.  The key for waterproof mascara remover is to get the bi-phase removers.  

You know... I have like this love/hate releationship with waterproof mascara. I love that it holds curls and doesn't budge through the day but I absolutely dislike how difficult waterproof mascara comes off. I have super sensitive eyes too so just settle for regular mascara. Thas just me tho. lol

Am i doing anything wroooong?  :unsure2:

I'm rather indiscriminate on whether or not a mascara is waterproof. Nearly every mascara I have is a sample from my mom's addiction to Clinique gift bags (she has 5+ Clinique mascara samples at a time and usually gives me a few) or Sephora beauty insider. I haven't bought mascara in years, so I just use what I get. 

I've been pretty lucky with my free mascaras though. For the last year I've been using Clinique High Impact Waterproof Mascara, Yves Saint Laurent Babydoll, and Benefit They're Real. I haven't noticed a huge difference between the waterproof one and the other two though. They're all pretty good.

No, because I hate the way it layers. I like to do my normal mascara (green cover girl) layer that on, then put a coat or two of waterproof on top of it.

Nup, no waterproof mascara for me, even in Summer. I just don't see the purpose of using them on a daily basis especially if the mascara are tough to remove and I already have issues with my natural lashes. 

I like to also curl my lashes with a clean spoolie as it gives me that natural effect and no clumps, so that's also another reason for me to avoid waterproof mascara. 

Well I've used it before and I loved it... I had to use tons of soap though a d scrub my eyes like crazy... I ended up looking like my eyes were bright red sleeping bags, ouch!

But other than it being a pain, it was OK. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't mind waterproof mascara, and even removal isn't a pain for me (I use Neutrogena's eye makeup remover). I have a worse problem removing Stila's liquid eyeliner, but it's so worth it to me...I love their liquid liner!

Waterproof mascara?

Yes. I love it.

You can find it at Ebay and Amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally don't use waterproof mascara, mainly because I hate not being able to remove it and because of the ingredients used to make it! That being said, I do think there are times when it's useful to use it, like on brides and bridesmaids and IF you plan on wearing it while swimming. I use Arbonne's It's a Long Story Mascara for daily use all year long and highly recommend it! It's lengthening, smudge-proof and made with beneficial ingredients. This stuff doesn't move until you wash your face. I've never had a problem with it smudging under my eyes and everyone who tries it loves it! 

Waterproof mascara is terrible for your lashes, it dries them out and makes them more brittle so that the breakage is worse, and because taking it off includes a lot of scrubbing it makes them fall out more often. If you already have thin, light, short lashes I seriously don't recommend it as it'll only make the problem worse and there are plenty of mascaras you can find that hold curl or clear mascara for the beach/pool when you want something in the water.

In reality, waterproof mascara doesn't work that well either. People forget that waterproof mascara still comes off in the pool because of the chemicals put in the water, in the ocean salt wears it away, and the minerals in lake water will also deteriorate the mascara. There are very few I've found that actually last longer than an hour between the water and oils in sunscreen. 

Regular mascara, although still not great for the lashes, does a lot less damage, is easier to get off, and can look just as good if not better. If you hate going to the water without makeup on, I suggest a tinted moisturizer, a little concealer, a lip and cheek stain and a little clear mascara (which can also be used on the brows).

Waterproof mascara is great to be used.I use Revlon lash potion.And I just use hot water to remove it.Just wet it and after few seconds it removes easily.

Definitely YES! I use it pretty much everyday now else I just find my normal Mascara comes off... I can't stand that :/ Although yeh I agree it's not great for your lashes. I find it difficult to get off most of the time with loses a few lashes :S XX

I love using waterproof mascara especially when I do other people's makeup, or when I go out to an event- day or night, because it will still hold in tears and sweat, and it won't smudge or budge.

I'm IN LOVE with the waterproof falsies Mascara from Maybelline, It does a great job. 

The down side of using a waterproof mascara is that the lashes do tend to break, so I wouldn't use a waterproof mascara on a daily basis. 

To remove a waterproof mascara I wash my eyes with warm water and gentle soap that won;t burn the eyes... Than I will complete the cleansing with a good makeup removing cream, my favorite is Simple Kind to Eyes. Vichy have a good one too. 

Good luck!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I only wear waterproof mascara if I think I'm going to be crying or their is the possibility of crying (but I'm really not much of a crier).... For example I did use it on my wedding day. Very glad I did because when you see the men in your family crying on your wedding day, it will make you tear up even if you never tear up!!

On any normal day though I just wear regular. I actually cry when I laugh quite often though... And I tend to be ok even without the waterproof.

I usually have so much crap all over my eyes- the last thing I want to do is bother with waterproof mascara when I'm removing it all at the end of the day. I mean, I usually have 2-3 fake lashes on anyways, so I don't see the point for me. Plus, I have yet to find one that didn't look/apply just badly, on myself of course.

I am not a frequent user of waterproofs but for those clients I have used it on I only found Avon Mega effects mascara to work as described but it is not something in high demand. It does look beautiful and holds well to tears, rain, etc. It is fairly low priced around $10 last I restocked. It is not listed as water proof and only claims to be clump-proof, sweat-proof, non-flaking. This is so far the best I could find but in general as many others have said waterproof just seems to be more a gimmick than a real deal. As far as removal most of my clients use Makeup Remover Wipes with Mineral Complex also by Avon. Being a rep I get deals so that is why most of my products of choice are Avon here, but as an artist I have many other brands as well since each client has unique needs and this can not always be met by one brand alone.

Latest posts

Back