tacehtpuekam

Birchbox July 2014 - Spoilers!

I rec'd my shipping e-mail late Monday night. I  have Valentine reserved and have not yet received any of the samples in Box 37. It's not an awful box but I'm not feeling the love for it either. I received the Marcelle BB cream in May and didn't like it. I received Whish exfoliating wash last year and it left no impression in me. Reading the comments about the body wash (which I have no interest in receiving anyway) kinds pushes me over to sad territory. The only positive thing I feel towards this box right now is that it doesn't contain shampoo/conditioner and/or a Davine's product. I've received one or both of those in every box but January's this year.

The body wash is awful. I am loving the Valentine and the Harvey Prince body lotion though. And the Marcelle serum, well I used it this morning and it's fine I guess, so we'll see.

No clicky trucks on either account :(  I think it was last month that my box pages didn't update til the 11th either.  I must be on the D list or something lol.

Since tomorrow is the big day, should we make a swap thread?  I didn't see one.  Seems there are a lot of new products to try out this month!

What color was the eyeliner? That's my box too!!

Raina, it's a navy blue 

Congrats!!

Double congrats!! Two wins? Awesome! You must have mega luck, you should go play the lottery :-)

Agree. Got that Laqa in a trade and it's quite light. At least for me.

Really want to know how that peel is!!

This is the first month they did it and you only had a few hours to choose. I have heard that the email went to spam folders for A LOT of people too, so that's probably why you missed it.

Great box but definitely email them about your polish and I'm sure they will send it out to you.

It won't show up until Tomorrow. It always shows up on the 10th of the month after 6am EST.

Will be emailing for sure! 

You should definitely email them. They need to know that this is unacceptable.

Yeah, I will def be emailing, just such a shame that it turned out this way.  I hope they figure out how to actually pull this off b/c its a great idea! 

• Like 1

They really shouldn't do things like pick your own sample or the add-ons unless they are equipped to handle it properly. I understand that they want to grow and change, but they should have realized that there are people out there who have prepaid for their box and wouldn't have been charged on July 1st. Basing their sample distribution on that one variable alone was asinine. They're going to have a ton of pissed off people who don't get the item they picked.

I cancelled my account and am debating re-subscribing. I'll see tomorrow after the pages fully update.

• Like 2

I'm surprised by how much I like the Harvey Prince lotion. I got the perfume in May and it...wasn't for me. But the lotion has a slight difference in the scent.

They really shouldn't do things like pick your own sample or the add-ons unless they are equipped to handle it properly. I understand that they want to grow and change, but they should have realized that there are people out there who have prepaid for their box and wouldn't have been charged on July 1st. Basing their sample distribution on that one variable alone was asinine. They're going to have a ton of pissed off people who don't get the item they picked.

I cancelled my account and am debating re-subscribing. I'll see tomorrow after the pages fully update.

Think the pick your sample is still a great idea, it's still a new thing and has some bugs, but that's to be expected. They should have been more clear on the limitations:

-A very limited time to choose

-while limited supplies last

-only available for yearly 6 3 month, and those with automatic billing

-unavailable for those who subscribe in the middle of the previous month. Etc

These kinds of limitations aren't unheard of.

AFAIC, The frustrating part is definitely where the CSRs weren't aware of what would affect ones eligibility and ultimately promised something they shouldn't.

• Like 5

Think the pick your sample is still a great idea, it's still a new thing and has some bugs, but that's to be expected. They should have been more clear on the limitations:

AFAIC, The frustrating part is definitely where the CSRs weren't aware of what would affect ones eligibility and ultimately promised something they shouldn't.

again birchbox is full of shit

i love bb but im sick of this kind of crap

i worked that day so by the time i got home only relic was left  so i chose it

i got my box today and it did indeed have relic in it... and on all my subscriptions this month i cancelled and resubscribed

• Like 1

This sounds reasonable to me.

I am still confused why pre-paying caused issues. I pre-paid and had no problem. But then again, I got the lip stain and it seems that all the issues thus far have been with the nail polishes.

Still, if BB made the limitations clear, the pick your sample idea is still pretty cool. I'll give them a bit of slack since it is their first time trying something like this. Hopefully, they'll have worked the kinks out for next time. (If they ever do it again.)

I also think it was a cool idea. They offered something nice to subscribers and it was a limited offer. That is not unusual for a company to do. I was aware that it was "while supplies last", not sure if that was in the email or on the website though. I was able to pick my polish but by the time I got to picking the lip stain on my 2nd sub, the one I wanted was out so I chose the other. I wasn't pissed about it. Honestly BB does more to please their customers than any other sub I've seen. It is disappointing to miss out on an opportunity, I totally get that... but why is this month any different than prior months where we didn't get to choose a specific sample?

I don't understand all the backlash. Damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess.

• Like 8

I just hope they got the email. I'm usually paranoid that it doesn't go through. Tried to DM saying that I sent the email but they don't accept messages unless they are following you *pout* so I just tweeted them that I sent the email lol

The other sweepstake they replied to my email so that I knew they received it, so hopefully they do it again for this!

I've never tried their mascara before and I had really wanted that liner too!

Did you ever get a confirmation email?

Did you ever get a confirmation email?

For the AskBenefit? No. *pout* when I won the Vasanti sweepstake they replied to my email saying 'thank' so I knew that they received the email. I'm hoping they do that again for this.

I'm sure they though they were equipped to handle it properly.  Companies don't do big product or process rollouts without at least some internal testing.  I'm on a development team for large enterprise systems, and we test the heck out of new code and new hardware.  Typically for a month or two.   Things still go wrong sometimes, despite the team's best efforts. 

We don't know what happened, IT-wise.  Bad code, hardware failure, network issue,  poltergeists.  I give BB credit for trying to make it right, because that's all you can do in a situation like this, aside from learning from the failure and putting procedures in place to prevent it from happening again.  They seem to be responsive to complaints from people who didn't get the their pre-selected item, and are sending the item out separately, or compensating with points.

Since no IT system is ever going to be perfect, all you can ask for is good customer service when there's a failure.  And it sounds like that's what's happening here.

• Like 8

Just got my box and I love it! They even sent my correct choice (CR lip stain in valentine) which surprised me! I'm a little meh about the brow pencil, but will definitely use everything else. Yay BB!

• Like 1

Got my box today for the account that I was supposed to receive the lip stain, but I said surprise me on the color. Received:

Klorane dry shampoo (got this on another acct and wasn't impressed)

naobay body radiance lotion (eh)

sumita color contrast eyeliner in a navy color (I have rec'd black and purple already and am so over these eyeliners)

Vasanti detox facial cleanser (I don't like this brand it doesn't agree with my face)

and two foil packets of 100% pure shower gel which I think is the most absurd way to sample a body wash esp since there's only .067 oz in each of the two packets which should be enough for my arms if I used one packet on each. If you're going to send my a foil packet of body wash there'd better be enough to actually use on my whole body. Even the body lotion sample was a whole ounce. At least the shower gel was an extra and not a sample or I would have flipped my lid. 

This box was full of fail for me this month which I said earlier is what happens when I get my box before the 10th because I was so excited and now I'm even more disappointed than if I'd known I was getting a crappy box before it came.

//end rant

I never received an email to choose my sample and I really wanted the polish in the rose gold. Don't remember the name. I am a yearly subscriber and searched all my emails to make sure I had not missed it and in fact, never got it. boooooo! I get my bb today so here's hoping. 

Another thought.....one of the things that software designers and developers dread the most is people using your system in ways you didn't anticipate. That's our single largest source of problem reports - we test a function in every way we can think of, and a user comes along who uses the function in a way we didn't think of.

I'm going to guess that their systems were not designed to handle the condition where people unsubscribe and resubscribe every month.  It's not something that a subscription management system designer would anticipate, I think.  It's something that surprised me when I first started reading these boards - if I were designing a subscription system, I'd be thinking of a magazine subscription - people typically don't cancel/resubscribe to Real Simple every month.  Your design assumes that customers will continue their subscription for some period of months or years.  Some subset of customers will cancel.   A smaller subset of those who cancel will, at some point in the future, resubscribe.  I think the majority of Birchbox's customers do use the service this way.

I'm not saying that doing this is bad or wrong or shouldn't be done. Not at all.  Birchbox themselves have (probably unknowingly) encouraged this in the way that they distribute codes.  I'm just saying that from the problem reports I'm reading here, this seems to be something that their systems aren't fully supporting.  Not surprising, since they were one of the earlier subscription box companies, and this practice probably started much later.

I would guess that Birchbox is going to have to deal with this at some point....either by redesigning the software to better handle frequent cancel/resubscribe cycles, or by discouraging the practice by changing the process somehow.

• Like 7

I never received an email to choose my sample and I really wanted the polish in the rose gold. Don't remember the name. I am a yearly subscriber and searched all my emails to make sure I had not missed it and in fact, never got it. boooooo! I get my bb today so here's hoping.

I also somehow fell through the cracks. I just emailed BB to let them know. I really don't mind missing the option to pick and choose, since I kinda like being surprised (I wouldn't have known about it if I didn't visit MUT). It is a nice option though, especially in your case, where you were hoping for a particular item/color. I hope you get lucky and receive your desired item! :)

@@misslaurelann, I think the 'surprise me' option meant you were basically opting out of either choice for the nail polish or lipstain, not let BB decide what color to send you. I interpreted it as hey, you MIGHT get this product if we decide it matches your profile, not you WILL get this product and the color will be BASED on your profile. 

• Like 2

Whoops forgot to attach my pic!

Mine is coming today as well and I picked the same lip stain color! So a high chance I might be the same as yours... received the same brow pencil from ipsy so I'm not a fan.

I just noticed that my card didn't get charged until the second.  I didn't have any billing issues so I don't know why.  I'm worried about not getting my polish though, I reserved through the link and got a confirmation.  Not sure why my panties are in a bunch over nail polish.