Do you prefer Ulta or Department Stores?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you prefer to buy your cosmetics at Ulta to bank points or do you buy at places like Boston Store when there are freebies with your purchase?

Ulta to get points.  There aren't really any nice department stores near me, otherwise my answer might be different!  I have like a Belk and a Macy's but they're small and have limited products. 

Ulta definitely. I don't know anything about Boston Store, the department stores I have are basically Belk, Dillards, and Macy's. They have lots of nice stuff, but I can't really score deals there.

Honestly, I prefer an upscale department store because the Ultas in my area are really messy and gross. Almost all of the lipsticks have been opened and played with, they are very slow to get new products in stock, there's not really enough people around to help, and products on shelves just look thrown together. I know this isn't a representative of all Ultas, but the ones where I live are like that.

Ulta. I always feel pressured to buy a lot in department stores. They usually leave me alone after asking if I need help at ulta, which I prefer.

If I need to get my foundation from Clinique, I go with the best GWP be it department store or online.

Everything else is split between the web site of the cosmetic company, Ulta, or Sephora. I'll usually go with Ulta or Sephora because of the points. Out of those two, the one that has the better samples or gwp wins.

I'll use the company web site if they have a good sale or a better set of samples.

Unfortunately, there isn't an Ulta where I am up here in Canada, but certain things I'll purchase online, and for in-store purchases I usually go to Shoppers Drug Mart as I get points, and they tend to have a decent selection.  For some higher end items, I often just order them from friends that work as MUAs for particular companies as they can let me know when there's some type of promotion going on.

Depends on what I'm getting. My closest Sephora and Ulta don't carry Clinique and Lancome, so then it boils down to who has the best GWP between Macy's and Bon-Ton--if I'm going to spend that kind of money, I want the most I can possibly get for it. For other high-end stuff, it honestly depends on what else I need to purchase that day. If I have errands involving pet food or new clothing, I go to Ulta because it's in the plaza where I do much of that shopping. I will also go to Ulta with a coupon for the more drugstore-type stuff, if my Rite Aid across the street isn't running any kind of special (and if you have Rite Aid where you live, it is a good idea to get a Wellness card--you can get as much as $10 in store credit during some of the specials they run.) I don't go to Sephora much unless I want or need something that's a little harder to find otherwise; there is one within walking distance at JC Penney's, but I prefer to go to the larger one across town when I have the time. For points I prefer Ulta, because I can use them toward what I want; some of Sephora's offerings (when they're in stock--the Penney's one is BAD for having low stock) just don't always work for me.

Back