June 22, 2014: Favorite summer recipes!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a great lemon curd recipe that for some reason only gets made in the summer.  My neighbor started not-so-subtly hinting that he would like some.  I forgot to tell him that if he and his soon-to-be hubby (I can't believe it's only a month and a half away!) would buy the ingredients, I would make some for them.  The recipe (from my cooking blog, which I posted to about four times and then abandoned:

Lemon curd: Peel the zest from two lemons, avoiding the white part whenever possible. Squeeze enough fresh lemons to get a cup and a half of juice. I only needed ten. Whisk together six whole eggs and one additional egg yolk. Whisk in the lemon juice and one cup of sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Heat over medium heat, stirring gently, for three minutes. Add ten tablespoons of butter (cut into small pieces) and the lemon zest and whisk constantly until it’s nice and thick, eight minutes or so. Pour into glass bowl/jar and allow to cool completely before removing the lemon zest. It’s good warm, but you can also put it in the fridge. This will keep in the fridge for about a week and a half.
It's fantastic if you add a couple of teaspoons or so of really good quality vanilla extract (I like a *lot* of vanilla in this stuff) in there when you add the butter and lemon zest.  I'm thinking that I want to try putting a split vanilla bean in there one of these days. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to stay fit and healthy this summer. I've been munching on tomatoes so I'll share with you our recipe for Simple Tomato Salad. This recipe is so fresh and simple, you can make it in less than 10 minutes!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ingredients:

2-3 large Tomatoes, sliced
15-18 assorted Cherry Tomatoes, halved
½ cup Fresh Basil Leaves

For Dressing:
2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Lime Juice
¼-½ tsp White Pepper Powder (Adjust as per taste)
Salt to taste

Assembly:

1. Wash the tomatoes to remove the dirt and grit and slice them according to your liking. Set them aside until needed.
  2. Prepare the salad dressing by whisking extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, white pepper powder and salt to taste. Keep it aside until needed.
  3. In a large serving plate, arrange the large tomatoes and then spread the halved cherry tomatoes so that they cover the platter. Tear the fresh basil leaves and spread them on top of tomatoes.
  4. Drizzle the salad dressing on top just before serving and enjoy this refreshing salad.
So simple right? Try some for yourself!

*edited by KellyKaye to remove website link per TOS*

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, here's one for you: I know it sounds insane, but it's GOOD -- Chocolake Covered Bacon

1 pkg. (24oz.) Thick-Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon, cooked as crispy as you like.  I heat it in a 350 degree oven on a foil-covered baking sheet (rimmed) for about 25-30 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.  Cool 10 minutes.

Melt 8 oz. Baker's Bittersweet Chocolate

Put drained bacon on waxed paper-covered baking sheet and spread the cocolate onto the bacon.

Be sure to let it chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes -- if you can wait!

A very special treat, especially if you're one of the sweet/salty lovers!

Actually, here's one for you: I know it sounds insane, but it's GOOD -- Chocolake Covered Bacon

1 pkg. (24oz.) Thick-Cut Applewood Smoked Bacon, cooked as crispy as you like. I heat it in a 350 degree oven on a foil-covered baking sheet (rimmed) for about 25-30 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Cool 10 minutes.

Melt 8 oz. Baker's Bittersweet Chocolate

Put drained bacon on waxed paper-covered baking sheet and spread the cocolate onto the bacon.

Be sure to let it chill in the fridge at least 30 minutes -- if you can wait!

A very special treat, especially if you're one of the sweet/salty lovers!
I think my husband would love this. He's tried a chocolate bar with bacon mixed in, and thought it was wonderful. Moderation for sure though... ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you love Chocolates, You gotta try this Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Vegan Milk Chocolate! It's sweet, healthy and easy to make!

Here are the Ingredients:
  • 4oz Unsweetened Chocolate, broken into chunks
  • 128g (1/2 cup) cocoa butter
  • 1/2 cup Powdered Erythritol, sifted
  • 1/16 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
  • 1 tsp Vanilla Paste
  • 1 tsp Butter Flavor
  • 1/2 tsp Stevia Extract
Directions:
  1. Add the unsweetened chocolate and cocoa butter in a double boiler. Place over medium-low heat, stir occasionally until completely melted.
  2. While the chocolate and cocoal butter is melting, sift the erythritol and salt into a small bowl. Then, set aside.
  3. When the chocolate and cocoa butter is completely melted and smooth, stir in the vanilla paste, butter flavor and stevia extract.
  4. Toss in the sifted erythritol and stir together. Keep the mixture over the heat for 2 more minutes while stirring and folding. Make sure all the erythritol is dissolved and incorporated thoroughly.
  5. Remove from the heat and scoop the mixture into the chocolate molds of your choosing (I used Freshware's candy mold).
  6. Chill in the refrigerator until hardened (2 hours or so), then remove from the molds. To store, keep tightly wrapped in the refrigerator.
Enjoy!

Back