Do Your Own Bridal Makeup

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you ever thought of doing your own bridal makeup? Though it may be more convenient hiring a makeup artist on your special day, doing your own makeup can be a rewarding experience. This is especially so when you have your own style of makeup and you know what colours works best on you. Other reasons for doing your own wedding makeup is cost. The savings made from not using the service of makeup artist will allow you to spend on other things like a more luxurious honeymoon.

To ensure that you look fabulous and radiant on your special day, it is important to take care of inner you. That is, have plenty of rest and drink at least 8 glasses of water daily. Doing so will help hydrate your skin and enhance the look you want to achieve on your wedding day.

Plan your makeup style. Do one or several trial makeup on yourself days before your special day. When choosing eye shadow colours and lipstick, take in to consideration how they will make you look in photos. Choose eye shadow colours that match your eye colour. If you decide to have more dramatic eye makeup, then it is necessary to tone down the colour of your lipstick. Add a touch of gloss in the middle of your lips for a luscious glow.

Make your makeup last longer by using primer before apply foundation. Makeup primer acts a barrier and is useful for covering up facial scars, dark under eye circles and fine lines. Primer stops eye shadow from creasing and reduces used of makeup foundation.

With careful planning and time management, you can do your own bridal makeup. Sleep well the night before and give yourself plenty of time to do your makeup. It can be a satisfying and fulfilling experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did my own makeup for my wedding and actually have done many friend's makeups for their weddings. I did trial runs for each bride. I kept makeup simple but highlighted best features like eyes, cheek bones, etc. I also made sure faces weren't shiny and also did not use too much glitter/sparkle in the makeup.

On the note of keeping skin fresh, etc. bachelorette parties should be done at least a week in advance to help skin look fresh.

If anyone has questions, please feel free to ask!

Last edited by a moderator:
My mother in law tried to book me some random makeup artist she had met...I would have to have paid $150 and never met her before. I said no to that! Not on such a special day.

If I ever do get married, I would absolutely do my own makeup. I wouldn't put something that's that big a deal to me in anyone else's hands.

Even though I had been doing my own makeup on a near daily basis for 15 years, I had my makeup done for my wedding.  I wear a very natural look day to day and wanted to step things up a notch for my wedding day.  I still kept things natural, but I was having an summer outdoor wedding in an area that is generally very hot and humid in the summer.  It was absolutely worth it to me to pay someone to do my makeup, because I knew they would have access to products I couldn't afford (at that point) and were knowledgeable about products that would hold up under our weather conditions.  I didn't want my foundation melting off halfway through the day and I didn't want to go overboard with eye makeup, which I was concerned I might have done.  

I wouldn't have used the colors my makeup artist used if I was doing it myself, but I looked amazing.  I can tell that I'm wearing more makeup that normal, but it was very soft and natural.  I didn't have a consultation beforehand, but described my gown, flowers, wedding location, and said I wanted something natural and she understood what style would look best with my features and wedding "vibe".  

It was completely worth it to me and I considered it part of my wedding day pampering.  And pampering was something I really needed, because things rapidly starting falling apart and there was quite a bit of last minute improving that had to happen.  And by last minute, I mean the ceremony site had to be changed less than a hour before the ceremony.  If I had to deal with doing my own makeup during what was rapidly becoming a stressful situation, I would have lost it, rather than just being mildly alarmed and rolling with the backup (to the backup) plan.

Back