How long would your collection last?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Earlier today I was thinking of how much makeup and beauty products I (and probably you too since you're in the no buy support forum) buy even though I don't need them, and I realized that the only products I will really need to purchase this year is a replacement of my under eye concealer that will run out in a couple of weeks, a new mascara since I only keep one at the time, and deodorant.

I love buying new things, try them out and use them without gilt of neglecting 10 similar things that I already have, but it will take me years to actually be able to go out and buy new makeup because I need it.

Now to the topic: If you weren't allowed to purchase any makeup at all, how long would your collection last?

Apart from tre basics like concealer and mascara as I mentioned before, I propably won't need ANYTHING in like a year and a half. When it comes to blushes, eyeshadows, eyeprimers, lip products, pencil eyeliners (my biggest weekness), I could probably go over 10 years without running out :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Look over your stash and ask yourself this, as it probably helps us all to stick to our low buys :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ergh... mine would last a lot of years. Someone did the math that it takes 6 months to use up a full eyeshadow. for me, since I only wear eyeshadow about 5 days a week, that's closer to 9-10 months...I have over 200 eyeshadows. Finishing a blush completely (math wise?) is 2 years. For me that's probably about right (I tried using a blush for a whole month nonstop and I was surprised and a bit disheartened at how slow progress was); I have about 30-some blushes?

The only things I don't keep a lot of are foundations, powders, eyeliners, or lip products, though that is changing for lip products... but shadow and blush? I'm set until the age of 89 at this rate. :/ and that is without having purchased much if anything the last few months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohhh.... Haven't even thought about how long my stuff would last. I always feel a urge to go get new stuff all the time (bad habbit idd),

I'm a mascarajunkie, so even though I have quite a few unopened (10 or so) that would be the first I would run out of. As for eyeliners, powders, foundations, eyeshadows etcetc I think it could maybe last 10 years atleast. 

I think my stuff will probably go off before I need anymore & I actually don't own that much! I have 2 blushes one is almost a year old and the other is since December - both still have the original pattern still visible on the surface lol - and one I use about 3x a week! Eyeshadows I have 4 palettes and I so rarely use them that I'm good for this lifetime! Mascara I only use samples as I so rarely use it that I am more likely to bin it after its been open for a year lol The only thing I go through is my bb or cc cream and even that takes forever. I use mine daily and have since I opened it in December and its still going strong! My gel eyeliners will dry out and head to the bin well before I finish them. The single eyebrow pencil I have will probably last at least over a decade!

But for my its the skincare stash...I have alot of...I have no idea how long it will take me to get through but I suspect a few years... I should probably go on a low buy for it!

My powder products would probably last 5 years at the minimum, but I really try to keep fewer wet products on hand (try being the operative word here :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />), so foundation/concealer/mascara et cetera I would give a generous year to. Still, that is a lot of products to just have hanging around on hand! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I calculated how many uses I have from all of my eyeshadow back in a previous no-buy support thread... back then I set the estimate at 40 years assuming I applied eyeshadow once a day. I now have more eyeshadow than that :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> (though granted, I think I underestimated the amount I used per application and sometimes I apply eyeshadow twice a day... so it's really probably closer to 25-30 years... maybe)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eyeshadows would be about 5-7yrs or more. Blushes probably 10 yrs. Just guessing. Everything else I use up much more quickly.

Blush and bronzer I'm good for at least a year, and honestly probably two. Same for highlighter.

Foundation: barely running out of one and opening my only other one. Six months?

Concealer: 6 more months max. Only have one that I've used almost daily in 2014.

Lip products: these go slowwwly for me. It will take <i>at least</i> another year to get through the ones currently open and then there is the whole slew of new ones left...

Eyeliner: one year I think, and good because I want new ones.

Eyeshadow: I have like 47 so it will take a while.

Mascara: at this rate, about a year and a half.

Shampoo: a year.

Nail polish: sitting on 75 bottles here so don't forget to pack a lunch.

Face cleanser: seriously about 3 years.

Everything else (moisturizers of every kind) will need to be replenished quickly.

FOOOOOREVVVVERRRRR. 

Seriously, probably about 15-20 years. I have a pretty ridiculous amount of eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lipstick, blush... 

Foundation I generally just repurchase when I run out though. I do have a stash of foundation/concealers/BB creams and what not, but I always find myself reaching for the same one. 

In 2013 I came across some blog posts by Brightest Bulb in the Box about how many applications are in different types of products.

For the past couple of years, I sit down and calculate the actual numbers every once in a while.. Obviously this is only an estimation, but it's interesting and it keeps me honest with myself. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Blush - 7 powder blushes totaling 28g. At .014g per application, I have approximately 2000 applications which would take 5.5 years of daily use.

Eyeshadow - 21 eyeshadows totaling 32g. At .020g per application, I have approximately 1600 applications which would take 4.5 years of daily use if I did a one eyeshadow look.

Lipstick - 16 lipsticks totaling 45g. At 0.008g per application, I have approximately 5700 applications which would take 15.5 years if I applied once daily and 5 years if I applied 3 times daily. 

So on average my stash would last 5 years if I wore full makeup every single day.. which I don't! It's been like once or twice a week lately.. which means I could probably go more like 15 years. Clearly I could still do some downsizing.. especially since I'm trying to use products with better ingredients that will expire sooner.          

Latest posts

Back