3 Steps to Lush Lashes and Bigger Eyes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Hello my beautiful readers (first time or otherwise)! Lately I’ve been getting a few compliments on my eye lashes and how thick and black they look. Even though my lashes are pretty thick, they are blonde at the tips. So I thought I’d share a few products and tricks that I like to use to achieve lush lashes and bigger, brighter eyes. (below with no eye makeup)

1. I first apply a concealer to my eye area. I’ve been loving the Silk Naturals Peach HD Concealer in P20 ($5.50) to brighten the inner corners and neutralize my dark circles. I pat this in with my ring finger. Under eye concealer instantly makes the eyes look more awake.

2. Now I apply mascara to my top lashes. For this I have been loving the Physicians Formula Organic Wear Fake-Out Mascara ($9.99). I start by placing the wand at the base of my lashes and blink slighty (I know, what a weird thing to say) to thicken up the lashes from the root. Then I work the wand upwards in zig-zag motions. This mascara is REALLY buildable, so I do about two or three coats.

3. The final step is totally optional but really adds to the awake look. In fact, I think it makes the bottom lashes look very Twiggy inspired. I use the Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara ($10.00) in Black. Mine is new (a repurchase) so the formula is a bit wet, but I wiggle this into the outer half of my bottom lashes. It really opens up the eyes and doesn’t flake. For the sake of this post, I will show you how it looks when I use the bottom lash mascara on the inner lashes as well.

That’s it! A short and sweet, three-step routine for a simple but pretty eye look. I hope you enjoyed. Tell me some of your favorite mascaras and under eye concealers below.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing your tricks. What do you do if your lashes are very light, short and sparse?

Rose, 

For short and sparse lashes that are also light, I would follow with the same techniques above - they are pretty universal, although you may want to try an eyelash curler. But, you could also try out some lash serums which work to lengthen your lashes, or even some mascaras that have these serums built into them. Of course, be conscious of your eyes and make sure you dont rub or pick at them often. I have also heard applying certain oils to your eyelash area regularly can make your lashes grow - like coconut oil or olive oil both of which are affordable and can be found anywhere. Hope that helps!

You look great! Thanks for sharing! I tried so many mascaras...high end, low end, etc. I'm waiting for red apple lipstick's new mascara coming out this month. It's called the lash project. Supposed to reverse any lash damage. Currently I'm using up an it cosmetics mascara. I'm not a fan of this mascara but it works ok. I like their face products better.

I have an it cosmetics lipgloss at the moment that I'm currently loving. It changes color with the ph of your skin - amazing right? Let me know how RAL's mascara works out for you!

So, I receive loads of compliments on my lashes as well, which might seem pretty standard for someone who wears mascara but considering I'm half Chinese and half sparse hairs, I consider it a HUGE feat. lol.

(and yes, I do take that long to get ready and it's totally worth every second)

my tips and tricks

1.curl my lashes (of course)

2. Start off by apply an inexpensive but buildable drugstore mascara (CG voluminous for me) to build volume and length.  Do about a coat of that, wiggle waggle application method like you mentioned.  Really grip the base of the lashes.

3. WAIT UNTIL EACH COAT DRIES BEFORE APPLYING THE NEXT.  Even if I have to fan or blow on it to quicken it up. (doing my other makeup to wait)

4. Go in for the kill with a heavy duty thickening mascara, Benefit's They're Real mascara.

5. Layering different mascaras gives you the ultimate doll eyed look

For my bottom lashes, if I have left over product from when applying to the top, I'll use it, but I also keep nearly empty bottles of my mascara to either separate out the top lashes if they've clumped together or for the bottom lashes, since I don't like too much product there.

Back