Severe Dandruff!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've ALWAYS had dandruff, but it's gotten worse within the last 1-2 yrs! It seems to have started when I had a hair dye job at my salon within 2 weeks of each other back then & my scalp got really red. I've always developed dandruff & had to wash my hair once a week. Nowadays, I have bigger flakes developing already on day 2 or 3 after washing. I already use a good quality dandruff shampoo & recently got a scalp treatment conditioner with tea tree oil, but that doesn't help at all.

It looks like I need a more intensive scalp treatment product. I have no extra money to go to a dermatologist. 

Anyone know of any over-the-counter products OR any home remedies, etc. I'm beyond frustrated by these huge flakes! 
mad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
When mine gets bad, I switch between Nizoral, Neutrogena T-Gel, Selsun Blue and good old head and shoulders. I have horribly oily hair and wash it every day though.

As for the shampoos I use, each of them have a different active anti-dandruff ingredient, (in order listed above) Ketoconazole (anti-fungal), coal tar, Selenium Sulfide and perithione Zinc. I find that if I use them all (not on the same day, of course :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) my dandruff "breakouts" go away faster. If I only use one of them, it doesn't work so well.

A lot of people poo-poo tha coal tar because of cancer worries, and what not. But I figure that if I go by the recomended usage on the bottle (like all medications), I'll be fine. I use acids at work that are a whole heck of a lot more dangerous than using coal tar the 5-6 times a year that I use it. So in my case, I'm not to worried about it.

When I went to a dermatologist for my dandruff, she was a little heavy handed with the e-prescription pad. But she basically gave me a fungicide and a corticosteroid.

I only used them both for a few days. You were supposed to put it on at night and wash it out the next morning. That's all fine and dandy, but I take my shower at night since I have to be at work by 5am. After a night with fungi-roid mixture in my hair, I looked like someone dipped me in oil the next morning, even if I'd rinse my hair.

Some dermis will prescribe the non-OTC Nizoral, which is what lead me to trying that instead of the cream I was given. Worked as good as (and was cheaper) than the prescribed fungicide.

But as with things like this, what worked for me may not work for you. I just wanted to throw this post out there to let you know what worked for me and hopefully give you some ideas. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also suffer from dandruff and seborrhea on my head and the best shampoo ive found hands down is AG's Dandruff Control shampoo. Its great b/c its concentrated and the ph is just right so it doesnt interfere with color/other hair services. I use it every wash (about 2-3 times a week) and then i just use a leave in conditioner so i dont have traditional conditioner sitting on my scalp.

One cure for excessive dandruff can be vinegar. Dandruff is the result of skin cells maturing and dying too fast on the scalp. Vinegar will get rid of the unwanted skin. Fungus growth can lead to dandruff as well, vinegar acts like fungicide and removes dandruff.

How to use-
Mix vinegar with warm water in a cup. The total amount depends on how much hair you have. Pour the mixture on your hair and scrub gently for few minutes and then rinse it with water. Wait for 8 to 12 hours before taking a normal shower.

Hope this was helpful. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also suffer from dandruff and seborrhea on my head and the best shampoo ive found hands down is AG's Dandruff Control shampoo. Its great b/c its concentrated and the ph is just right so it doesnt interfere with color/other hair services. I use it every wash (about 2-3 times a week) and then i just use a leave in conditioner so i dont have traditional conditioner sitting on my scalp.
I also have seborrhea on my scalp and the shampoo I use has Zinc in it and it's over the counter. I also alternate with a prescription one, but the over the counter one is great. It doesn't smell as stinky as say, head and shoulders and it works wonders. My dermatologist also said not to use conditioner because it will make it worse (I just use it on my ends, not near my scalp)

One cure for excessive dandruff can be vinegar. Dandruff is the result of skin cells maturing and dying too fast on the scalp. Vinegar will get rid of the unwanted skin. Fungus growth can lead to dandruff as well, vinegar acts like fungicide and removes dandruff.

How to use-

Mix vinegar with warm water in a cup. The total amount depends on how much hair you have. Pour the mixture on your hair and scrub gently for few minutes and then rinse it with water. Wait for 8 to 12 hours before taking a normal shower.

Hope this was helpful. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Seborrhea, which she may have as @@Isabelsjewely and I both do, is not a fungus the way dandruff is. Seborrhea is basically your skin produces too much yeast and your body kind of doesn't know what to do with it so it flakes and gets scaly and looks like dandruff-but it doesn't have the same underlying cause that dandruff does. if it is seborrhea, I don't think the vinegar trick will work (it didn't work for me)

hopefully the OP gets relief soon!

OP back.  Thanks a lot guys.  I got a couple things that I'll try.  One of them is ZEAL, a non-sulfate, vegan, anti-dandruff shampoo that I got a free, good-sized trial bottle of.  I just had to pay $7.95 shipping.  Then, I browsed my huge beauty supply place & found this brand called Dr. Miracles Tingling 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner w/ vitamins & peppermint oil.  If those don't work, I'll try the next thing(s).

Any more ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Clarifying shampoo was the answer for my scalp problems (dandruff, oily scalp, damaged hair, fallout)

Dear,

If it becomes severe you have to go to dermatologist but still try some home remedies like:

Use Nizoral shampoo.

Take coconut oil. Heat it little and add lemon juice to it in the ratio of 2:1 .Apply it daily ,leave it overnight and wash it with Nizoral in the morning.In two weeks time dandruff should finish.Remember your scalp is flaky so when you will apply this it will give you stinging sensation.

How to use-

Oh I will try this next time! Currently I am using Sara Shantelle's Head CPR, since I have been experiencing hair loss + dandruff at the same time. I really works well and I have been using it for years now.

I might try this method after my shampoo finishes (if my dandruff comes back that is)

Do you know if this method is suitable for hair loss though? And what is the vinegar to water ratio?

OP back.  Thanks a lot guys.  I got a couple things that I'll try.  One of them is ZEAL, a non-sulfate, vegan, anti-dandruff shampoo that I got a free, good-sized trial bottle of.  I just had to pay $7.95 shipping.  Then, I browsed my huge beauty supply place & found this brand called Dr. Miracles Tingling 2-in-1 Dandruff Shampoo & Conditioner w/ vitamins & peppermint oil.  If those don't work, I'll try the next thing(s).

Any more ideas?
My husband suffers from the same situation as you so I rub his head a few times a day with Chi Silk Infusion serum (this can get pricey so you can usually get it from a beauty discount store or online) because it's like this light oil and you can just rub it down into the roots and over the scalp, it really helps to moisturize.

If you don't have to go out and you're okay with greasy hair, I would try Lush's Superbalm scalp treatment made with Salicylic acid, rose wax, lavender oil, chamomile blue oil, rose absolute, extra virgin coconut oil and some other good stuff - it's like this goopy textured stuff that you rub into your scalp and it really helps as well. They tell you to wash it out after you leave it in for a bit but my husband leaves it in up to a day and then washes his hair before he goes out. We have noticed that he has had significantly less dandruff (almost none at all anymore) and his shirts and chair used to be absolutely covered with white dandruff.

Good luck!

Use good Quality of Hair Dye so you have no any problem of dandruff and othe Hair problems . I have used Natural Hair Colour.my Hair is shiny and long.

I can vouch for coconut oil! It helped me with dandruff and awfuly dry scalp and it's really improved my hair and scalp condition - I've got no dandruff  or dryness anymore and my hair is more voluminous! 

Use one of these

1. Vinegar water rinse

2. Natura yughert masks

3. Rhassoul

4. White clay mask

I hope one of these work for you

Use lemon extract and leave it for at least 30 minutes and scrub your hair with sugar. This is a home remedy to get rid of dandruff. Do this for a week and see the results. You may also take Vitamins such as A, B complex, C and E.

You cant use any products that have alcohol! I used to get the worst dandruff also, but you really have to use products that dont contain any alcohol. I used to have the dryest scalp - that used to flake...now I use the somaluxe argan oil - on my scalp too. They say dont use oil on your scalp, but this argan oil is the only thing that stops my dandruff...i use the somaluxe over my hair and even put some on my scalp and it totally moisturuzes it and keeps the flakes away. Its totally natural and alcohol free and was a life saver for me

Thanks a lot!  Any other ideas anyone?
I'd go for Optima Tea Tree Oil shampoo available from Amazon.com or biggreensmile.com but I would use it alongside my Pro Naturals Hair Repair System which will keep my hair in tip top condition.

I used Mamata Shikekai by Prakruti JiyoFresh. It is ayurvedic cleanser for dandruff. I just had to:
1. make a paste out of the powder and lukewarm water,
2. apply it on hair
3. wash my hair

It worked for me. Hope it helps you too!

I have the same case like you. I live in a pretty hot country and it gets worse during the mid months as my hair gets so flaky, itchy and greasy.

However, I was able to reduce my dandruff by using Extra virgin olive oil and salt.

This oil softens the scaly dead skin - flakes. It will also help your scalp to heal from the abrasions caused by itching.

While the salt helps in getting rid of current flakes in your scalp and you won’t feel the embarrassment of dandruff flakes on your clothes. Salt also absorb excess oil and besides that,  it soaks all the moisture from your scalp which helps fungus to grow.

Once fungal growth is inhibited, you will not suffer from dandruff.

source: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/how-to-treat-dandruff-with-salt/

I also sometimes put lemon juice to add freshness to it plus it has anti-bacterial properties! 

I hope this two ingredient helps.

Love lots!

Latest posts

Back