What made you love cosmetics?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was posting in another thread and thought this would be a good topic. I would love to hear what other people have to say :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

When I started treating my acne I decided it was my personal mission to get pretty. I had never TRULY felt like I was beautiful. So after getting some medication, I went to a BareMinerals boutique (the infomercials about it being good for your skin finally pulled me in after years of hearing it). I was so lost and embarrassed because I didn't even know what color I was! This amazingly nice lady said you are this shade and sat me in a chair. She did my entire face with the items in the starter kit I was there to buy. When she finished, she turned me around to see myself in the mirror and I started crying because I looked BEAUTIFUL!

So since that day, I no longer see spending money on cosmetics as a waste. It's an investment in yourself and you get what you pay for (most of the time, lol). Looking beautiful really picks up your self-esteem and it makes me a happier person.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's fun. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't have skin or self-confidence issues, but I do have (among other things) a severe anxiety disorder. As part of my therapy I look for techniques to take me out of the anxious mindset, and realign my focus onto something more positive. So, in the morning if I am stressing about the day ahead, or in the afternoon if things have been too much to handle or perhaps the evening if I have read some really terrible things in the news or whatnot, applying makeup grounds me, and takes my focus on the things that are causing my anxiety enabling me to refocus and calm down.

Because of this I have a folder full of selfies. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't post most of them, but if I put on a full face of makeup and then don't go anywhere, I like to have some sort of record of the look I have done!

It's also for this reason I don't appreciate it when beauty bloggers and the like say things like "such and such HAS to be done this way" or "you are doing such and such wrong". I don't use makeup to achieve a certain effect, it is the act of applying makeup in and of its self that is appealing to me. For someone to see the result and then say "you did that wrong" brings up all the anxiety that I am using makeup application to diminish in the first place!

I've always liked makeup, used it for many years but always the same items. I ONLY used Diorshow mascara and kanebo total finish powder every single day for years. It weren't until I discovered korean cosmetics; especially the "cute" brands such as Etude House, Tonymoly etc that I really started my cosmetics addiction. I felt such a urge to collect every single item from their lines, and then it moved to other brands and it just never stopped from there ^^

I used to own a delicatessen. We had to wear black aprons and jeans, t-shirts so makeup was the only way i could make myself feel pretty!

Ever since then I have been addicted to makeup!

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly didn't start out liking makeup in a healthy way. I used to depend on it to feel beautiful and worthy. Over time though, I gained more confidence, and makeup became something that I used to express the inner beauty, instead of some kind of of self-esteem Stockholm syndrome crutch. I love makeup so much more now!

I went to prom my sophomore year of high school with my older boyfriend who was a senior.  Before that I didn't really wear makeup.  I was obsessed with finding makeup to look perfect with my dress because I wanted to fit in with the older girls and my interest in makeup never really stopped. I definitely realized that it made me feel awesome, I'm not interested in wearing makeup just to fit in anymore! 

I discovered makeup via Youtube videos. In particular, Michelle Phan's tutorials randomly popped up in my sidebar/suggested videos and I became curious. It was during my senior year of college and I was working on my honors thesis and studying for the MCAT (stressful times) and I realized that makeup tutorials made for nice background noise. I specifically watched Michelle Phan and Bubzbeauty back when they still did tutorials (ironically, both of these Youtubers annoy me, now). I thought that it looked really fun to play with the different eyeshadow colors and that watching people apply makeup was kind of soothing. I didn't start using makeup until after I graduated college. Even though I had bad skin before then, I felt that applying and removing makeup would irritate my skin and felt that I shouldn't be judged based on my skin and to accept what it was. When I realized that there was more to complexion correction, then I really got into it (specifically eyeshadow). Watching Emilynoel83 got me into product hoarding, though.

My skin still isn't great, and there are days when I'm too lazy to put on foundation... eyeshadow, however, is still my great joy when it comes to makeup and sometimes it's the only makeup I'll wear for the day :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What made me love cosmetics (make-up)...

The minute I figured out that I could transform a plain-Jane woman into a beautiful sexy woman. That was in the beginning, stroking my ever growing ego and attitude...

Then I learned humility by doing make-up on women who wore the permanent scars of domestic violence. And when they opened up to me about their story in my chair, they opened up my eyes to their inner power of their beauty, courage, and strength. 

When I was about ten years old I received a bubble bar for my birthday, and I got addicted to the scent, but when it was all used up I had no idea where to buy it. Years later, at 16, I moved to a city where there was a lush store. I walked in because it smelled really good outside, and I found that very same bubble bar (the comforter). I wanted to try more from them because I completley loved the store just by walking in once, and I started googling best lush products, what to try etc. I found missglamorazzi on youtube and then I got stuck in the youtube beauty hamster wheel :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

From the time I was barely old enough to remember, and still sometimes today, I'd watch my mom put on her makeup every morning. I remember being completely confused as to why she was putting all those different things on her face but mesmerized by the effect. Since then I'd always loved makeup.

Later on a friend of mine in her early teens (I was probably around 9 at the time) wanted to be a makeup artist so she would practice on anyone she could, including me. I can't remember a single thing about what kinds of makeup she did only her telling me "Pat concealer, don't rub." That also fueled the curiosity.

But it wasn't until just the past few months I have been quite so obsessed with makeup. Since I was old enough to understand it's purpose I had been searching for foundations light enough for my skin and when I finally got one one I realized I needed blush with it because it washed me out, and what's blush without bronzer? It just went on and on until now I've gotten that much more addicted to makeup.

Because of this I have a folder full of selfies. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't post most of them, but if I put on a full face of makeup and then don't go anywhere, I like to have some sort of record of the look I have done!
I'm not alone! I always find myself putting on a full face of makeup, even on days when I just sit at home on the computer. It just makes me happy :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

What made me love cosmetics (make-up)...

The minute I figured out that I could transform a plain-Jane woman into a beautiful sexy woman. That was in the beginning, stroking my ever growing ego and attitude...

Then I learned humility by doing make-up on women who wore the permanent scars of domestic violence. And when they opened up to me about their story in my chair, they opened up my eyes to their inner power of their beauty, courage, and strength. 
I think what you do with your talent is really beautiful! I love that you really have a purpose behind what you do, that's very respectable.

For me, it was multi-dimensional.  I was always interested in cosmetics, but never really took the plunge until seeing a doctor about some relatively minor skin issues I had at the time.  The treatment prescribed just to treat redness in my complexion had such potentially dangerous side effects that I opted to just purchase some concealer and foundation and found it to be a much easier and safer alternative.

As someone who performs in various capacities, I later found it also fun to use makeup for various different looks, and found that even on or off stage or in day-to-day life it was also a fun way to express myself and experiment.  Though I believe there is an artistic aspect to it for me; almost like using myself as a canvas, some of my friends still ask why I bother with cosmetics/makeup, which I find to be an odd question.  I ask them why anyone bothers with anything really; we all have different interests and passions, and that's really what makes us individuals.  I may not get their interests in sports matches or gaming, but I get makeup, and that's just me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

btw Enjoying reading everyone's responses in this thread!

Though I believe there is an artistic aspect to it for me; almost like using myself as a canvas, some of my friends still ask why I bother with cosmetics/makeup, which I find to be an odd question.  I ask them why anyone bothers with anything really; we all have different interests and passions, and that's really what makes us individuals.  I may not get their interests in sports matches or gaming, but I get makeup, and that's just me :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I took a painting class in college (totally a beginner..) and I've noticed that cosmetics are VERY artistic! The whole blending and matching your colors and shades.. it's the exact same set of skills you need to be an artist. That was a really cool realization for me. We do treat our faces like a canvas and it takes a lot of time and practice to develop the skill. I look at at makeup artists as a TRUE artist. Much love and respect :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I took a painting class in college (totally a beginner..) and I've noticed that cosmetics are VERY artistic! The whole blending and matching your colors and shades.. it's the exact same set of skills you need to be an artist. That was a really cool realization for me. We do treat our faces like a canvas and it takes a lot of time and practice to develop the skill. I look at at makeup artists as a TRUE artist. Much love and respect :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Agreed, so true!  I've also began painting later in life, and love the process. I find with creative activities, whether it be music, making abstract paintings or doing makeup/fashion, there's definitely a expressive component involved that one works toward developing and mastering.  I really don't view it as extra "work"; for me; the whole experience is most enjoyable and the possibilities are endless! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Acne too ironically.

"mission to get pretty" stole the words right out of my mouth.  Always felt insecure with who I was.  I feel makeup just helps us to "fit in" with the crowd.  Which some may knock and say, stand on your own!  Don't buy into mob mentality.

I bought into it.

I started showing horses when I was 14, and didn't really wear makeup until then.  But it's pretty much a requirement in the show pen, so I had a Caboodle that I packed with me to shows that had drugstore basics in it.  I liked how pretty I felt when I had makeup on in the arena, so I started wearing makeup the rest of the time.  Then acne set in and I learned how to cover my flaws.  Unfortunately I still have the "hiding imperfections" mentality when it comes to makeup, but I'm working on it.

This site is great for understanding a woman's psyche. How do you girls feel without make up when seen by a random stranger? Does it make you feel vulnerable as if someone can see right through you?

Latest posts

Back