I need to find the most dramatic mascara at the drugstore.

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have naturally long, curled, and thick eyelashes but I'm still frustrated with most mascaras I try for some reason or another (clumping, smudging, flaking, giving me spider lashes, etc.) I like to keep 90% of the drama of my makeup on my eyes. I want to be able to have as much mascara on my eyelashes as possible. It's just my preference. But I also want them to be separated and lush looking- not spiked and spidery. I have no interest in spending 15+ dollars on a product I'll be replacing every couple months so I'd like to find the most dramatic mascara that I can from the drugstore. Any recommendations?

I'd recommend trying Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara. I really think it's comparable to some of the most dramatic expensive ones out there. It's really cheap too. 

I'm quite fond of the Maybelline Mega Plush mascara.

I know exactly how you feel. I love BIG DRAMATIC lashes. I find that layering mascara helps me get that look. I actually use three different mascaras for my everyday look. Maybe a bit excessive, but you can't argue with results. Haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd recommend trying Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara. I really think it's comparable to some of the most dramatic expensive ones out there. It's really cheap too. 
I just barely found out about this mascara but I've seen a lot of raving about it so it looks like I'll have to check it out!  I hope my local Rite Aid carries it.  Thanks for convincing me to try it!

I'm quite fond of the Maybelline Mega Plush mascara.

I know exactly how you feel. I love BIG DRAMATIC lashes. I find that layering mascara helps me get that look. I actually use three different mascaras for my everyday look. Maybe a bit excessive, but you can't argue with results. Haha.
I get what you mean about layering mascara and I wish I had the time/patience for it but I'm a college student.  I could maybe get away with 2 if the results were impressive enough.  I'll have to try out the Maybelline Mega Plush for sure.  Would you mind telling me what your routine is when you layer up?

I absolutely adore Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express. It does have a tendency to clump, and when I first got it I did have to wipe the brush off and then layer it, but with a good eyelash curler (I use the elf one) and a spoolie, I have lashes with lots of volume, length, curl, and are able to hold their own against the thickest of eyeliners. I absolutely love it!

Also, if you're having problems with clumps it may not be the mascara's fault. If you use the mascara wand to get rid of them you're just adding more product to the problem and making it worse. That's why I use the routine of curl, spoolie, first coat, spoolie, and if I feel like it a second coat, and running a spoolie through to finish it off. The spoolie-ing may seem excessive but it really does help with separation and clumps. If the spoolie doesn't do the trick I'll grab the bristled side of an eyebrow comb to do the job, just remember to be gentle with that one cause if used to harshly it can create more clumps. 

Layering is def the way to go! Just use one good lenghtening mascara for 2 coats and then a volumizing one for the drama at the end. My lashes always looks like the bomb!! 
I'm willing to layer as long as it doesn't take me forever in the morning and I don't have to use more than 2 mascaras.  Would you mind telling me which mascaras you use to do this and any specific techniques you use to help you layer without getting clumpy?  Thanks!

Maybelline The Rocket makes my lashes look really full & fluttery without being clumpy.
I've heard some other good things about this and it looks like I'll have to try it!

Rite Aid doesn't carry Jordana. Walgreens & Kmart do.
Well that's no good!  I live in a very limited area (a small tourist novelty town) and I'm at least 45 minutes away from a Walgreens and over an hour away from a Kmart.  I'll have to decide it it's worth it to order it and then have to keep ordering it if I fall in love with it.

I absolutely adore Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express. It does have a tendency to clump, and when I first got it I did have to wipe the brush off and then layer it, but with a good eyelash curler (I use the elf one) and a spoolie, I have lashes with lots of volume, length, curl, and are able to hold their own against the thickest of eyeliners. I absolutely love it!

Also, if you're having problems with clumps it may not be the mascara's fault. If you use the mascara wand to get rid of them you're just adding more product to the problem and making it worse. That's why I use the routine of curl, spoolie, first coat, spoolie, and if I feel like it a second coat, and running a spoolie through to finish it off. The spoolie-ing may seem excessive but it really does help with separation and clumps. If the spoolie doesn't do the trick I'll grab the bristled side of an eyebrow comb to do the job, just remember to be gentle with that one cause if used to harshly it can create more clumps. 
There seems to be a Maybelline trend here!  I hope my Rite Aid is still doing BOGO 50% off on their products because it looks like I need to try out a few of their mascaras.  And thank you for the tips- I'll definitely reach for a spoolie next time I'm having clumps.

I like the Covergirl Clump Crusher (I get the water resistant one). One coat is not impressive, but true to its name, there are no clumps. Ever. I am literally wearing five coats right now, and there are no clumps. So it's not the most dramatic necessarily, but it is the most customizable, and it can get pretty dramatic!

Loreal telescopic in carbon black.. omg. I will never use another mascara again. It doesn't have a fluffy brush, it's more like a comb that makes your lashes sooooooooo long! It's really easy to get clumpy lashes by layering this (I love thick, noticable lashes). It impresses me because when I put it on and look up, I can feel my lashes touch the skin above my eye.. totally weird I know, but I get a kick out of my spider lashes.I actually got complimented on my lashes once and I just about died and went to heaven :wub:

Rimmel ScandalEyes Retro is my go-to. It's very thick, but I find I have to blot it with a tissue after I apply. Does wonders for bottom lashes.
Seriously?  That's interesting!  I've heard so many negative comments about Rimmel mascaras.  I'll have to look into that one.

I like the Covergirl Clump Crusher (I get the water resistant one). One coat is not impressive, but true to its name, there are no clumps. Ever. I am literally wearing five coats right now, and there are no clumps. So it's not the most dramatic necessarily, but it is the most customizable, and it can get pretty dramatic!
5 coats?!  I need that!  The more mascara on my eyelashes the happier I am.

Loreal telescopic in carbon black.. omg. I will never use another mascara again. It doesn't have a fluffy brush, it's more like a comb that makes your lashes sooooooooo long! It's really easy to get clumpy lashes by layering this (I love thick, noticable lashes). It impresses me because when I put it on and look up, I can feel my lashes touch the skin above my eye.. totally weird I know, but I get a kick out of my spider lashes.I actually got complimented on my lashes once and I just about died and went to heaven :wub:
I LOVE getting eyelash compliments too!  Especially if I KNOW they're on point that day and I'm damn proud of them.  I'm the same about my eyebrows.  And my outfits.  And my body.  And my hair.  Okay, maybe I just like getting compliments (but only when I know they're true).  I'm considering buying Telescopic so I can layer a coat of it underneath a more volumizing mascara.  

Rimmel ScandalEyes Retro is my go-to. It's very thick, but I find I have to blot it with a tissue after I apply. Does wonders for bottom lashes.
I was SHOCKED when a friend recommended me try this (she is a pin-up model and I always value her input for dramatic lashes) but was blown away when I tried it. I suggest this to everyone. Its the only Rimmel I have ever liked and it is my standard now. (plus cheap is always good haha)

Of all the high end mascaras I have tried, my favorite dramatic mascaras are drug store ones. Rimmel Scandaleyes retro glam followed by the Maybelline the Rocket. I have dark long lashes and these mimic falsies for me which is exactally what I love.

I was SHOCKED when a friend recommended me try this (she is a pin-up model and I always value her input for dramatic lashes) but was blown away when I tried it. I suggest this to everyone. Its the only Rimmel I have ever liked and it is my standard now. (plus cheap is always good haha)
This is surprising.  I'll have to try it!  I know I like the Rimmel Stay Matte foundation and powder but this thread is the first time I've heard anything good about their mascara.  Thanks for opening my eyes to it!

Hmmmmm I may have to try this.. but I will keep my loreal telescopic backup closeby just in case ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I get what you mean about layering mascara and I wish I had the time/patience for it but I'm a college student.  I could maybe get away with 2 if the results were impressive enough.  I'll have to try out the Maybelline Mega Plush for sure.  Would you mind telling me what your routine is when you layer up?
I'm a college student too, and I still find that layering mascara is worth it and only takes a bit more time. I usually do at least two, one with a more bristly brush (like Mega Plush) and then one with a stiff plastic brush (Like Benefit They're Real or Lash Blast). The fluffy, bristly brush gets you the length; and the plastic one helps prevent clumping and gives you that extra boost for big, voluminous lashes.

Pay attention specifically to what the packaging says the mascara is for; length, volume, dark color, ect and buy one of each effect you want. Do some research on what mascaras are best for certain effects. Also, a waterproof mascara over the others will help hold a curl. A lash curler will also make a world of difference in how dramatic your lashes will look. I like using it before and after my first coat of mascara, but be careful if you use it on mascara-ed lashes. You don't want them to stick to the curler and get pulled off! Eeek!

And if you really want super dramatic lashes, applying falsies always does the trick. Demi-lashes are pretty easy to apply and make a HUGE difference. 

Latest posts

Back