Tanning question - care to help a clueless guy?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a guy who has never used a self tanner before. I'm very pale and would like to try something gradual and subtle, so I'm thinking of using Jergens Natural Glow. I do have some questions and concerns though (especially from a male perspective). I'm sure most of you are female, but hopefully you can help answer some of my questions anyway!

1) Will it stain my arm/leg/chest hair? (my hair is dark brown/black btw)

2) I keep some short facial hair/stubble. Will it stain or show up uneven/patchy around these areas?

3) I'm thinking of using a lotion applicator by Kingsley (it's basically a handle with a piece of foam). You think that would work ok with the Jergens or better to just use hands?

4) Considering all of the above would you recommend the regular Jergens moisturizer or the foaming body lotion?

Thanks for your help!

Hey jake123,

I would love to answer all this questions, but it's a big responsibility! When I've used self tanners, I've always chosen the least aggressive because I also fear getting stains (although I suppose they are made to avoid this). What I always do is contact the brand through the email displayed on their official website and comment all my concerns. They have always answered!

From my experience, Jergens Gradual glow is not an intense type of self tanner.  I have never had much luck getting a "tan" with it.  I have used it many times in the past (more recently the one with SPF) when I'm outdoors most of the day (mainly for the SPF and to boost my tan). 

As for self tanners dyeing your hair, that won't happen (especially if you have dark hair), however, in my experience, directions usually instruct having a to shave AND exfoliate for BEST results.  Think of it this way, if you have long body hair and you put lotion on-- the hair will move back and forth as you apply.. thus making the spot the hair lays without the ample time to dry to self tanner and making it splotchy.

Again, I don't see Jergens as much of a self tanner, in my opinion.  I do like St Tropez foam mousse (high end) and using Jergens as upkeep.  I usually use the foam 1-2x a week and a self tanner lotion on the other days.  I also prefer self tanners with a color guard to show where you're applying and to ensure you won't miss a spot.

Some other tips: MAKE SURE IT'S COMPLETELY DRY before putting on clothes (10 mins?).  I usually apply at night, before bed so that it has time to seep in my skin throughout the night.  I also feel that a back applicator is a great idea, but for a more intense self tanner.  Also, I use a separate face self tanner (especially made for the face), I wouldn't use the St Tropez mousse on my face. 

Hope that helps! Happy tanning!

My brother also felt he was pale for a while and started applying Self Tanning Lotion by Sun Laboratories. He thought it worked well and was happy with the results and he had a substantial amount of body hair however didn't have Facial Hair. He didn't seem to have any issues with it but stopped using it because he decided he was happy with his natural skin colour so I don't know the affects of prolonged use. He got the 32 Oz size for I think he said $75 I dont know if its in your budget or if Jergens is cheaper since they are a more family brand, they wouldnt be as intense which might be a good start for you. 

If you do have light hair, there is a chance, with some tanners that it could possibly change the color. If you're planning to use Jergens natural glow I think it's gradual enough that you won't see any splotching or anything from stubble. I do recommend exfoliating before you do and applying lotion to dry spots (elbows, knees, ankles, knuckles) it will keep it from turning too dark. Always wash your hands after, if you don't then you'll wind up with orange palms. A tanner I really like is St. Moriz (supposed to be like St Tropez). It's $6 on amazon, but it comes from the UK.

I've never noticed much difference with the jergens gradual self tanner. I agree with angiepang1e, works best as a booster if you are already outdoors for the day. Also, the scent is stronger than I expected. I recommend using a higher end product for better results. Always moisturize first, helps prevent streaking.

Back