meaganola

MUT NEST (All-purpose year-round chat!)

I'm shopping for a Christmas gift for my husband and wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a small rice cooker?  I want to get him a set of things to use for making sushi and have seen mini rice cookers but am not sure if there is a good brand or not.  Help!  

I'm shopping for a Christmas gift for my husband and wanted to see if anyone has a recommendation for a small rice cooker?  I want to get him a set of things to use for making sushi and have seen mini rice cookers but am not sure if there is a good brand or not.  Help!  

Zojirushi is going to be your best bet for a rice cooker.

• Like 3

Zojirushi is going to be your best bet for a rice cooker.

Yes. They are such a gold standard for rice cookers that they were my first thought.

• Like 1

While I agree that Zojiushis are the best, they may not be the best choice for someone who may be on a budget or doesn't make rice that often. (Although, it's true that rice cookers are good for making far more than just rice.)

I'm personally biased towards the Asian brands. I use my $40 Sanyo cooker several times a week and it still works perfectly four years later. Another personal preference is having a lid that latches close, rather than just a glass lid. 

I would suggest checking out reviews on Amazon. Carefully consider how much rice you plan to make in it regularly. Never get a massive one (like a 10-cup one), even if the price is good, unless you are regularly making enough for a family or party. Due to the larger diameter of the inner pan, are smaller quantity of rice is likely to burn or not cook properly in one. Maybe consider a 4 or 5 cup or smaller. As someone who grew up on rice, I had a super mini one while in college, but found it a bit frustrating. Then again, in retrospect it was likely also due to it being rather inferior quality to the one my parents had.

• Like 1

Have you ever wondered where you picked up one of your Things but been baffled about where it came from because it's just been a part of you for so long that it just *is*? My nails were like that for me. For as long as I can remember, I've like to keep my nails painted and as pretty as I can get them, but I had no clue where that came from because it wasn't my mom (she *hated* the way her hand looked and refused to paint them because that would draw attention to them). I just realized where it came from for me: My grandmother who just passed away. We used to sit in her kitchen and give ourselves manicures when I was so tiny that I was still trying to learn how to hold a pencil.

Uh, yeah, it's that kind of week.

• Like 4

My Glossybox has shipped.  My NOVEMBER Glossybox.  It's a replacement for my original that went missing.  The replacement was supposed to be shipped out last week, but I didn't receive any info regarding shipment.  I emailed a little while ago and SURPRISE, it shipped today.  *cough-probably after my email-cough*

I know this isn't a GB thread, but I just had to tell someone and that Nov GB thread is dead.  lol.

• Like 4

I'm slightly OCD...my snowflake collection is getting out of hand lol - I used to collect crystal snowflakes but they don't seem to last and I've spent far too much money on them to have my heart broken if there is breakage...so I switched to metal ones....but OMG I need to stop finding things to collect...so this year and last year are the ONLY years I didn't bother buying anything (since I've been married) ...but I just got a surprise gift in the mail from a great friend that lives in WA - I now have this years crystal snowflake!!  

• Like 2

Dear Abby (aka, I need advice),

A few years ago I had a student and she and I were like oil and water.  For whatever reason, last year she started stopping by regularly.  Now she's my little buddy and she calls me mom.  (A lot of kids do this for some reason -- I have had some of them 3-4 times bc I basically looped with them through 8th grade to their senior year.)

Anyhoo -- she loves makeup and I thought I'd give her a few samples and pick up a couple of things we've talked about (esp loose shadows) for Christmas.  I wanted to make sure it was okay with her mom, so I called and we're good.  :)  They've had some troubles lately and mom started crying on the phone.  :(

So..  so far I have a mini They're Real, Stila liquid liner (this was another thing we talked about), two NYX loose powers in pink pearls and a gold makeup bag.  I would LOVE to add a fragrance sample, but I have NO idea what 18 year old girls wear.  (Help!)  I would also like to get a gloss and am kicking myself for not picking up an NYX butter gloss while I was at Ulta.

Any other ideas for things I could get her?

Dear Abby (aka, I need advice),

A few years ago I had a student and she and I were like oil and water.  For whatever reason, last year she started stopping by regularly.  Now she's my little buddy and she calls me mom.  (A lot of kids do this for some reason -- I have had some of them 3-4 times bc I basically looped with them through 8th grade to their senior year.)

Anyhoo -- she loves makeup and I thought I'd give her a few samples and pick up a couple of things we've talked about (esp loose shadows) for Christmas.  I wanted to make sure it was okay with her mom, so I called and we're good.   :)  They've had some troubles lately and mom started crying on the phone.   :(

So..  so far I have a mini They're Real, Stila liquid liner (this was another thing we talked about), two NYX loose powers in pink pearls and a gold makeup bag.  I would LOVE to add a fragrance sample, but I have NO idea what 18 year old girls wear.  (Help!)  I would also like to get a gloss and am kicking myself for not picking up an NYX butter gloss while I was at Ulta.

Any other ideas for things I could get her?

If you do perfume I would do a light floral or a sweet fragrance like Juicy or Pink Sugar.  I would stay away from musks or patchouli (but that is my opinion).

It might be nice to include a little compact mirror, a hand cream, if you have skin samples like face wash-start that skin care regime early!

If you don't want to do a gloss the lip crayons are great to put in a backpack and don't need a mirror to apply.  Revlon makes some good ones but pretty much every makeup line has them.

I would make it a little head to toe kit, but I am not sure what your budget is or if you are shopping your stash (I know personally I could put together a heck of a bag shopping my stash!) Nail polish, nail file

Hope that helps!  Sorry for the rambling I just got off work and am on a Pepsi and Hot cheetos high!

• Like 3

@@lovepink -- That's awesome!!  I have a few of those 5/$5 lip crayons to add and I can definitely find her some skin care stuff!!

Funny -- when I was at Sephora earlier they offered me two fragrance samples -- man/woman.  I chose the Pink Sugar over Prada Candy b/c I knew I had the Prada at home and I figured she'd like the Pink Sugar (even tho I've never smelled it -- it seems to be everywhere!).

I didn't even think about nails -- hmmm...

Thank you SOOO much -- and yes, I'm definitely shopping my stash, but the Stila, They're Real and the bag came from the SiJCP small favorites set.  (I kept the Nars, the Smashbox and something else... hmmm.)

Keep the ideas coming!  I'm old enough to have a real 18 year old daughter, but have no clue how to shop for one!

• Like 1

Pink Sugar (even tho I've never smelled it -- it seems to be everywhere!).

I see you're a Birchbox subscriber.  If you've received Beauty Protector, that's exactly the same scent, at least to my nose!

• Like 1

I've had the worst day... I'm sick, the hubbs had to preform room mom duties, I have a client who wants me to work at 9pm tonight and I still have a few gifts to buy...but my day has been totally improved by a pm saying someone here on MUT has sent me a Mystery Santa gift.

I really felt like crying because it's just so sweet....this place is the best!

• Like 9

I see you're a Birchbox subscriber.  If you've received Beauty Protector, that's exactly the same scent, at least to my nose!

HA!  I can't even smell the Pink Sugar b/c it's in a sealed package!  I did notice that it isn't Pink Sugar, rather it's something BY Pink Sugar.

I also added the Bodycology lippie from ipsy points, a maaavelous Bare Minerals lippie and a WnW, too.  I added a purity made simple foil and a mini Porefessional.  I ended up adding the Prada Candy b/c I sniffed it again and remembered that I did NOT like it.  (If she doesn't, maybe her mom will.)  The bag is now stuffed and I just started throwing things in the Sephora bag.  LOL

She will be sooooo happy!

• Like 2

I've had the worst day... I'm sick, the hubbs had to preform room mom duties, I have a client who wants me to work at 9pm tonight and I still have a few gifts to buy...but my day has been totally improved by a pm saying someone here on MUT has sent me a Mystery Santa gift.

I really felt like crying because it's just so sweet....this place is the best!

I hope you feel better soon!  :flowers:

• Like 1

@@Shalott  There are green tea KIT KATS!!??

ETA:  I got really excited and hit enter before I meant to.  

Oh man Kit Kats in Japan are like art on another level. @@ZeeOmega has it totally right. I am so sad that more flavors aren't imported (at least not where I am) because I would love to take a Kit Kat flavor journey!

I've NEVER been able to find good store bought ones (ugh that icing! And why so hard!?) so I just make my own. Thanks to my mom being an army brat who was stationed there, I have a pretty good recipe. As kids, we called them reindeer droppings but now I make them every year because imprinted on them as Christmas emblems. Weirdly, I started making the Danish ones as a sort of spice cookie gateway drug for people who didn't share my appreciation of the ugly little things but now, they're the ones everyone gets most excited for.

Ha ha, I've not tried any that were more like the Danish ones. I do have a recipe for homemade, not Frau B.'s recipe unfortunately, but from my mom's half-German grandmother. I've never tried it though, since my baking skills are lackluster. I could get my hubby to do it, but he prefers cooking to baking!

And I apologize for replying to messages two days old now - trying to get caught up!

Looks like I'm joining the insomnia club.  I can't seem to sleep past 3:30 am this week.  (I'm usually an 8-10 hours a night kind of person)   I'm pretty sure I just heard a raccoon fight.   :blink:

• Like 1

Looks like I'm joining the insomnia club. I can't seem to sleep past 3:30 am this week. (I'm usually an 8-10 hours a night kind of person) I'm pretty sure I just heard a raccoon fight. :blink:

Lol the morning I went into labor I had been up the entire night before. I was tired but too agitated to sleep. I finally went to collapse in bed at 9 am and as I was laying down my water broke. lmao. Here's hoping you're well rested when you need to be :D

• Like 3

@ - my girl is about to be 17 so similar in age....we put together from my sample stash lots of little goodie bags for her friends to to be totally honest (most of them are 18) - just about ANYTHING beauty related is awesome - the girls at this age want to experiment anyway so I tend to throw in a selection of fragrance as well as make up, skin care, hair care and even nail things.  I often end with GWP that aren't age appropriate for me (I'm well past the age that I can put glitter on my face without highlighting my wrinkles) and I just save them all for the kids birthdays and xmas gifts.  

• Like 1

I hate waking up refreshed early then going back to sleep and waking up feeling like crap. I should have just stayed up at 5

• Like 1

I hate waking up refreshed early then going back to sleep and waking up feeling like crap. I should have just stayed up at 5

THIS. This happens to me all the time. And yet I never seem to learn.

Happens to me too but the times I have stayed up and then I'm exhausted and have to take a nap.

@ ~ Do you have any MAC products hanging around? I know this is a popular brand with the 18 - 20somethings. I don't own anything from MAC myself.  I have never crossed its path. 

I think anything you can get at Sephora will be appreciated. One of my son's friends said that while on a college tour last year she knew she was at the right college because her and another girl identified an eye shadow color they both were wearing .  They had a big discussion about Sephora and their love for it.  I think it was an OMG moment for them.  ;) 

What a fun thing you get to do.  I made up some glossy boxes for a few over 60's in my family.  Something tells me, it won't be as appreciated as your young friend.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

@ ~ Do you have any MAC products hanging around? I know this is a popular brand with the 18 - 20somethings. I don't own anything from MAC myself.  I have never crossed its path. 

I think anything you can get at Sephora will be appreciated. One of my son's friends said that while on a college tour last year she knew she was at the right college because her and another girl identified an eye shadow color they both were wearing .  They had a big discussion about Sephora and their love for it.  I think it was an OMG moment for them.  ;)

What a fun thing you get to do.  I made up some glossy boxes for a few over 60's in my family.  Something tells me, it won't be as appreciated as your young friend.  Enjoy!

I tried to buy Mac once -- went and tried to have my makeup analyzed there, too.  Nope, wasn't successful.  I may try again someday -- as for now, I'm MAC free.  lol

I ended up giving her the bag today.  When it started overflowing I knew I should stop adding things!  LOL - She LOVED it!  Her mom told her she was getting something, but wouldn't tell her what.  :)  She said she's bringing me a present tomorrow, so I'll update when I know more.

My heart absolutely breaks for this family -- I hope I was able to add a little cheer.

• Like 9

Found out my today "friends" sister was the person who was hit by an SUV on Friday. The street she got hit on is 50MPH speed limit and she ran across the street as the light turned green and managed to run past 2 cars and the 3rd did not see her... The street was closed down for 6 or 7 hours. I know the sister is in the hospital with severe injuries. I feel like saying something but when she saw me yesterday at the crosswalk instead of walking across were we would have had to walk to pick the kids up walking side by side she turned and walked down the sidewalk and crossed in the middle of the street to avoid me. She also did not say hi at a school event last week. I don't know what is up with her, she went from wanting to hang out every weekend to not even letting her kids come to my kids Birthday parties. My husband can pick on people a bit but just ignoring me... Her son still gives me a big smile and wave every time I see him at the school.