meaganola

MUT NEST (All-purpose year-round chat!)

Oh that sounds horrible!  I remember people so many people from work headed south to hotels.  I wish they would have said something -- I had heat, power and food.  My world was totally unchanged -- except for not going to work.  lol.

It sucked, a lot. It was so cold that when I peed, it steamed...since I had no power and no flashlights or anything, all I could do was read by candlelight until I ran out of candles. I swore after that I'd keep flashlights, a can opener, and a camp stove or charcoal grill on hand at all times!

It was when I lived in Muncie and my family was an hour and a half away, far enough to not know what was going on. It happened right at the end of break, so a lot of students were still gone. I guess they were letting people crash on campus, but I was off campus and had no way of knowing that. Terrible! Why do I still live in Indiana? (Oh, because moving is complicated and expensive, lol).

• Like 1

Being in this trip we have had long days and especially with Portland and Seattle massive amounts of caffeine were consumed. I kept dosing off in the car the one day I did not have coffee first thing in the morning(I was not driving but I don't ever sleep in cars) and my husband thought he had the flu with a massive headache our first morning in Utah and it did not go away until he got some diet dr pepper.

I like coke zero as my non coffee caffeine option. Regular soda tastes like pixie stix to me.

I live in the San Diego area and a couple of the elementary school districts along with the high school district are on modified year round with the 3 weeks off for winter break.

I managed to kick soda pretty much entirely.  Every once in a while -- like maybe once a month when it's not summer -- I'll have one.  And that's even counting my Soda Stream as soda.  In the summer, I do tend to drink more Soda Stream soda, but I'm drinking more fluids overall then, so it's basically in addition to all of the water I drink all day at work.  (And as an added bonus, I stress-drink water, so there are some days at work when I am refilling my water tumbler every time I get up from my desk to grab stuff off the copier.)  But caffeine?  Hardcore addict over here.  I prefer it in the form of strong coffee with milk and Sweet'n'Low.  The milk helps buffer my stomach, and the Sweet'n'Low makes it easier to drink a lot of it quickly. 

On the subject of Dr Pepper (and how annoying is the fact that it officially does not have a period after Dr?), I had a coworker who was *convinced* that it was made out of fermented prune juice -- until I made him read the ingredient list.   Regardless of whether it was before or after he found out it was not in fact fruit-based, he easily drank a six-pack of it every day.  He kept a case of it in his file cabinet.

(And my current favorite sound in the world:  My phone when another bid is placed on something I have up on eBay.  This afternoon, my favorite sound will change to my phone when a PayPal payment hits.  I should work on getting more stuff up today/tomorrow so the auctions end next weekend, thereby hopefully giving me more money to spend during vacation.  I'm not really going anywhere, but if I had extra money sitting in PayPal to play with, I could more easily justify gong to movies that week.)

ETA:  I make coffee so strong that I get a caffeine buzz even when I use decaf.  In unrelated news, I *just* realized that NWA's "Something 2 Dance 2" samples Sly & the Family Stone's "Dance to the Music."  I was raised on Sly, and I've been listening to NWA since 1988, aka when they released _Straight Outta Compton_ (I was more interested in East Coast rap, especially Public Enemy, _Paul's Boutique_-era Beastie Boys, De La Soul, and Boogie Down Productions, but I did make an exception for this album.  Yes, I was in high school during quite possibly *the* greatest year for rap breakthroughs!).  *Why* did it take this long for me to notice that?

Edited by meaganola
  • Like 2

So..  a few weeks/months ago I was on the hunt for a replacement pom hat.  I ordered one from BB and it was TIGHT.  I do not like tight.  My top knot does not like tight.

I ended up going to etsy and finding the most amazing woman!  I was ready to buy a stock hat from her, but mentioned that I would like something a little longer.  She custom made two hats in a day and shipped them two-day.  For $23 bucks inc shipping I now have two of the warmest, most amazing pieces of human headware ever created!  Here's the black one:

post-113885-0-55253000-1420912939.jpg

Her shop is:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/7SistersShop

PS -- It does look like her prices have changed a bit.  I think I paid the beanie price.  They are definitely worth at least the price she's asking.

• Like 5

Oooh, that looks cozy!  I'm tempted to order one to accommodate my top knot, too!  Of course, as soon as I do that, I'll spontaneously decide to chop all of my hair off, thereby eliminating the need for the extra length.

• Like 1

Showtime is free all weekend through my cable company and I just discovered I can watch every episode of the 4th season of Homeland on demand (YES!!!). Free viewing ends tomorrow night so looks like its an entire weekend on the couch cozied up in a warm blanket and reading a little MUT inbetween episodes! Oh this is so much better than cleaning all day :-)

Whoops, I think I posted this in the wrong section!

Edited by Kristy_Isabelle
  • Like 2

@@tweakabell it def. sounds like it's similar. The big family joke is my Dr Pepper consumption.

I haven't been doing the 100 day no-buy, (but I am now not working, at all so I haven't bought anything in that period lol)...but I have been following along and there have been so many good ideas in there :) I have started inventorying my stuff (so far, I have gotten through the lip products and the numbers are a wee bit too high LOL) and I have been trying to use stuff up. I finished off a body scrub today and am close on a hair masque that I have had sitting in my shower for over 3 years haha. It'll be nice to have a bit less clutter in the shower!

It's almost my Birthday and I have a $10 Sephora GC and I think I might grab, if they have them in store, the OCC Stained Gloss set that is $10 online and my Birthday gift sometime next week (or maybe the next week, the way the weather has been, I try to leave the house as little as possible lol).

Edited by Kelli
  • Like 1

So. I am reading an article/slideshow of '24 Things Women Should Stop Wearing After Turning 30' and it is ridiculous and obviously written by someone who doesn't really know what they are talking about. One thing is anything bedazzled. She then writes that bedazzling became popular in the early 2000's...um  this girl obviously did not grow up in the 80's dreaming of having her very own Bedazzler!!(I think they started out in the 70's...but I was born in the 80's and oh so badly wanted one!)

Also, of the 24 things, I being almost 32, must be a crime against humanity, since people have to see my horribly old self in about 11 of the 24 items!

She also says not to wear Abercrombie & Fitch "do 30 year olds even fit in A&F clothes?" I didn't realize that when someone hits 30 they instantly gain massive amounts of weight even if they were teeny tiny when they were 29 and "allowed" to wear such things LOL This slide show is cracking me up.

• Like 4

I had a Bedazzler in high school (class of '89 here)!  I remember Bedazzling a demin shirt with a guitar on the back of it in, like, 1986.  I actually Bedazzled a lot of stuff, but that guitar is the big standout in my mind for some reason.  My dad may still have the Bedazzler, although my mom may have tossed it.  (I remember embroidery being the big thing in the '70s, especially late '70s.  My mom used to make me super awesome embroidered shirts with, like, mushrooms and butterflies on them when I was seven or eight.)  Time to put on my sparkly blue eyeshadow and graphic t-shirt!  I have kitty litter to buy!  (I kind of wish I had a scrunchie, but diy twistbands are close enough for the purpose of annoying that writer, right?)  (I do think that some of the things on that list are things that you stop giving a shit about once you hit forty, like blue eyeshadow.  Most of the things on it were never things I did in the first place, like anything involving fur, even if it's fake.  I'm a lifelong resident of the Pacific Northwest.  That shit gets heavy and takes *forever* to dry -- if you're lucky enough for it to dry! -- if you get stuck in the rain.  And you *will* get stuck in the rain.)

• Like 1

Yeah, most of the list was stuff I don't do anyways (crop tops and mini skirts were never my thing lol)

I hate having boots with fur, but OMG do you know how hard it is to find any *winter* boots that don't have fur (in rural Michigan atleast LOL)? I have been looking for a few years now and haven't found any except some horrible moonboot style ones, that were just awful. So, I am still lacking winter boots. I am contemplating just buying some rain boots, so my pant legs can fit into them and I won't have to continue to suffer with drenched pant legs all day because I have to stand in nearly knee high snow to scrape ice off my car windows before leaving for the day.

Also, @@meaganola, my kid/tween self is sooo envious of your Bedazzler and Guitar bedazzled shirt<3

Edited by Kelli

@@Kelli Ah, but I had to be a teenager in the '80s. Do not recommend. Have you seen the hair?

In semi-related news, I need to take a shower (my scalp feels *horrible*. It DOES NOT LIKE it when I don't wash my hair every day), but this is what my lap looks like:

• Like 1

Yeah, most of the list was stuff I don't do anyways (crop tops and mini skirts were never my thing lol)

I hate having boots with fur, but OMG do you know how hard it is to find any *winter* boots that don't have fur (in rural Michigan atleast LOL)? I have been looking for a few years now and haven't found any except some horrible moonboot style ones, that were just awful. So, I am still lacking winter boots. I am contemplating just buying some rain boots, so my pant legs can fit into them and I won't have to continue to suffer with drenched pant legs all day because I have to stand in nearly knee high snow to scrape ice off my car windows before leaving for the day.

Also, @@meaganola, my kid/tween self is sooo envious of your Bedazzler and Guitar bedazzled shirt<3

Haha, I just get these boots for snow...they aren't the cutest in the world, but they could be far uglier and they are super comfy, they only have the fur stuff on the inside, but it dries quickly and is really warm. I'd like some cuter snow boots, but they're always super expensive and these get the job done. 

Edited by yousoldtheworld
  • Like 2

Dude, I've never understood fashion. When I was in junior high, I wanted to simultaneously dress like Cher from Clueless and Kate "Acid Burn" Libby from Hackers so I had a whole wardrobe devoted to those two styles I wore on interchanging days.

In high school my friends and I all hooked up with gangbangers and my style was 100% chola. This went on until Junior year when I had to make new friends for reasons I'd rather not disclose, and I started doing whatever the eff I wanted. My entire wardrobe became leopard print. My senior prediction was "Open a cheetah farm and become a famous designer". :lol:

I haven't given up the leopard print to this day, but now I mostly wear leggings and tunics because I gained a ton of weight and hate uncomfortable clothes. Thus ends the story of my unfashionable life. :wizard:

• Like 2

I am contemplating just buying some rain boots, so my pant legs can fit into them and I won't have to continue to suffer with drenched pant legs all day because I have to stand in nearly knee high snow to scrape ice off my car windows before leaving for the day.

I lived in the midwest for most of my life and am embarrassed to say how long it took me to figure out how to keep my feet warm and dry. Most of the boots I tried would get ruined by salt or weren't waterproof enough. The thing that finally solved all my problems (er, my cold wet sad feet problems) was buying a few pairs of very thick woolen socks (TJ Maxx or Marshalls usually has a bunch), and a pair of cute rainboots that were big enough to wear with the socks.

Edited by TooMuchElectric
  • Like 1

I'm not sure what I wore pre-yoga pants.  I was, at least in my mind, fashionable in HS -- FORENZA!!  I even had the bears to go with my plethora of sweaters.  Plus there was a benetton phase and plenty of other names I don't remember.  I had lots of homemade clothes as a kid -- especially dresses.  But NO lace.  My mom didn't do lace since she was forced to wear it as a kid (born in 36).

I think once I started working in a hospital, my first real job after HS, I realized life was too short to wear much more than scrubs.  Tho there was that umbro shorts and sweatshirts phase in college.  I do remember getting dressed up for pre-rush.  Which probably explains why the sorority life was not for me -- too much maintenance.

I weighed 125 when I graduated from HS -- still have a pair of size 5 gap jeans to remind me (lol), but that quickly changed.  My black pants order just came from that annoying website Woman Within -- but yay for vanity sizing because I could order stuff w/o multiple Xs in the size!  I'd never ordered from there before an surprisingly I'm happy with everything.  Petite pants sell out so quickly in real life and it seems they specialize in the short and frumpy look.

I may always look like I'm wearing pajamas -- but if I'm going anywhere other than work, then I'm in full face w/ pajamas.

• Like 1

Haha, I worked in healthcare from the time I graduated high school (during the summers) until this August. I lived in scrubs and pajamas...which is comfy, sure, but I always felt so frumpy!

Now that I work at the school and can wear REAL PERSON clothes, I'm obsessed with cute dresses and tights and leggings and cardigans. 

Edited by yousoldtheworld
  • Like 5

I bet the teen @@meaganola was awesomely 80's-tastic. 

I had dance recitals in the late 80's and early 90's and man did we have some amazing time appropriate costumes. One year we did a Polka styled tap dance wearing fluorescent yellow dresses that had orange and lime green stripes with ribbons and such that were black light reactant. The next year fuschia body suits with silver, black and fuchsia bands of sequin at the writes and calves, off the shoulder neckline, of course and super puffy black with glitter tutu's. It was glorious LOL. The music for the two jazz style dances we did in the fuchsia frock were the Bunny Hop and The Hand Jive from Grease haha. I miss dance class and the ridiculous stuff you get to get away with wearing! OH THE SPARKLE.

In middle school it was all about the jeans and flannel....and not necessarily because it was toward the end of the grunge era, but because it was a small Michigan farming town haha.

College I started dressing more uniquely, but I went to a private business university, so there was a lot of professional attire for the massive amounts of presentations I had to do.

I typically, in those days, used my hair as my way to stand out. I was starting to get into live music and stuff and started getting like asymmetrical spiky haircuts :)

Edited by Kelli

OMG you'll die when I admit to what I wore as a kid - I had three (not one, not two but three) sweaters that were horses for the arms, sort of like this but BOTH arms were horses:

f8a051f5b8b34ddf2db2e10aeb37cdad.jpg

I wore them every day. I pretended to be a horse at recess. I also still had friends, oddly enough - I wonder to this day how that was possible. :lol:

ETA: That is not me, nor is it my picture, BTW. I pulled it from Google Image search.

Edited by Shalott
  • Like 4

Oh my goodness I have never seen or heard of such a sweater! It's hilariously awesome. My junior high/high-school fashion was slut-tastically Goth. Not much has changed, except my makeup is wayyyyyy better and I have a touch of *cute* or pastel stuff mixed in with the scary stuff.

I'm gonna be one weird old lady,methinks.

• Like 1

Oh, no, '80s!meaganola was *tragic*.  Let's not discuss her.  She was a lefty hippie teenger in a small, rural, extremely conservative town where everyone asked her if her peace signs were Satanic.  That town was so horrible and racist that I had a Jewish friend who was in all seriousness asked -- by multiple people -- where her horns were.  The bus ride to get to the mall (where the closest movie theatre was located) was an hour and a half long (it was only a twenty-minute drive, but she didn't have a license).  '90s!meaganola is *much* better.  She at least had a driver's license and car, so she could actually drive into Portland, and then she got a tape deck in her car in '91 (I can still remember the celebratory cassette I bought on my celebratory I-have-a-tape-deck-now drive after my dad installed that thing on my birthday despite my mom's objections:  The Posies' _Dear 23_.  I still love that album, too), so her music options widened considerably. 

In unrelated news, I think I might be nearing screw-it-chop-off-all-the-hair time.  My hair is starting to get so heavy that it's starting to hurt my scalp when I don't keep it piled on top of my head all day.

• Like 1

I do the my hair is too heavy, must.cut.off.now. thing...right now it's at the longest it has been since....well probably since my mom made me have long hair as a little kid. As soon as I was old enough to say I wanted it cut, I kept it usually in a chin to shoulder length bob until college, when I started the super short  scene boy hair.

Usually once it starts rubbing on my shoulders and feeling all 'omg. my neck feels like it will break under all this weight' when in ponytails/buns I chop, but I am a bit determined to grow it out past this stage. I don't know why it's different right now and I am not chopping.  I have not had hair long enough for a ponytail for this long since childhood. (maybe weather? it's cold out so the warmth is acceptable and normally I chop shooort in the summer heat and it isn't typically this long in winter? haha I don't know!) I also haven't dyed my hair in a long time, which again is totally weird for me. Maybe I am having a not-quite-midlife hair crisis?

• Like 1

I don't wanna hear any of y'all complaining about your hair being too long lol. Mines down to my butt and everytime I mention wanting to chop it all off I get the "but it's so long and prettyyyyyy you can't! Noooo! "

My urge to cut is actually being offset by how it keeps me a little warmer in the frigid weather. that and I wanna bleach it snow white and I think it'll be cool to have a mountain of fluffy white atop me head

But it's such a pain.: (

• Like 1

Mine was to the small of my back when I cut it. It was such a pain, horrible condition from dying it, it got caught in everything. I had to cut a good 2 feet off after my car accident then I've just been slowly chopping it off trying to get most of the damage out. I can't wait to grow it back out again when its healthier.

Teenage me was all black hot topic shirts with the sayings on them and black and purple camo men's cargo pants that zipped off at the knee.

• Like 1

I hate having boots with fur, but OMG do you know how hard it is to find any *winter* boots that don't have fur (in rural Michigan atleast LOL)? I have been looking for a few years now and haven't found any except some horrible moonboot style ones, that were just awful. So, I am still lacking winter boots. I am contemplating just buying some rain boots, so my pant legs can fit into them and I won't have to continue to suffer with drenched pant legs all day because I have to stand in nearly knee high snow to scrape ice off my car windows before leaving for the day.

Winter Boots? I wear combat boots--from the Army surplus store, forget eBay for legit combat boots--and those suckers keep my feet warm to the point I can't wear them if it's above freezing because my feet get too hot. I love my boots. I do have to use Dr. Scholl's-type inserts for arch support, and I definitely wouldn't recommend combat boots without them because of how hard the soles are.

If you get rain boots, they are not warm, but they sell cute fuzzy liners for them on Amazon that solve that problem.

Edited by PeridotCricket
  • Like 1