kawaiisofoxy

Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

Made me think of:

What was that from? I showed it to hubby and he doesn't know. Maybe my daughter would know.

And y'know the sad thing is I don't have either... I think I was looking for a laugh and to hopefully put some perspective on things. Not to mention it's been one of those weeks for me...yeah...

Anyways, back to the fun, happy, lighthearted talk --- wouldn't it be something else if the people who opted not to pick get an even more awesome box in the end? I'm actually excited to see how the other boxes shake out and (although technically poorly executed) this whole pick an item went to an interesting place.

And who knows...it may turn out I get a completely random box in the end like last month. It will be interesting to see how stuff shakes out in the end.

I still will never "get" the stigma about foil samples. All the foil samples I have gotten have been multi use and multi pack so I've had at least a weeks supply. Sure nice packaging is pretty, but let's be practical here.

Uh no not quite, ahem those 100% pure cream wash foils were hardly multiple uses.

Uh no not quite, ahem those 100% pure cream wash foils were hardly multiple uses.

I didn't get those, which is why I was only speaking from personal experience.  I did get the 100% pure lotion samples and I got 3 foil packets of those, which gave me a weeks worth.

I decided to go with the Stainiac after all. I use lip stain every day and realized this morning that I'm down to my last sample.

Here's hoping for some nice goodies this month!

I, once again did not get the pick your sample email on either of my 2 accounts.  I have emailed BB but I assume even if they get back to me, anything I possibly wanted is not available.

They really need to work out a system for this whole thing.  They instead of making it an email should post that at x time log into your account and select from x options.  Won't help with their servers crashing but won't leave out subscribers either.

Good thing they keep have these 100 point promos.

• Like 2

I didn't get those, which is why I was only speaking from personal experience. I did get the 100% pure lotion samples and I got 3 foil packets of those, which gave me a weeks worth.

I think 100% pure is going with foils from a packaging/environmental (and perhaps cost) angle.

Anyway, I don't give a crap what the product comes in, foil, tube, cardboard whatever so long as I get the product out of the packaging I can deal.

I mean it's a sample! Do I have preferences for certain products? You bet. But 50-70 points more than makes up for the occasional annoyingly packaged sample.

• Like 7

I think 100% pure is going with foils from a packaging/environmental (and perhaps cost) angle.

I think they're going for the food angle too since they're the only foil I've ever gotten that makes me think of ketchup bahahah. 

Not everyone can have packaging that's as cute as the balm or benefit, but that's ok. I think the variety also makes for part of the experience.

• Like 3

I'm on a beauty box break and I'm kind of glad for it. I never got emails on my original account, so I know I'd be annoyed at not getting what I wanted.

Has Birchbox everyone curated boxes like this before, where there have the same specific samples in all the boxes? I was under the impression this was a totally new option.

I've had BB for over 2 years as well and have never see this option.  The most I've seen are the addon's and recently (this year) where we can choose a color or item.

I, once again did not get the pick your sample email on either of my 2 accounts.  I have emailed BB but I assume even if they get back to me, anything I possibly wanted is not available.

They really need to work out a system for this whole thing.  They instead of making it an email should post that at x time log into your account and select from x options.  Won't help with their servers crashing but won't leave out subscribers either.

Good thing they keep have these 100 point promos.

I JUST did my pick right now because I was waiting and hoping for the everyday girl box to come back in stock and there were still 2 choices left - Modelco Bronzer and theBalm Stainiac so you still might be able to if they get back to you in time.

I'm starting to think I preferred not having a choice. After not getting my chosen sample last month, and not wanting either of the samples left, the whole thing is just really disappointing. After more than two years, this might be my last month of BB (at least for awhile).

• Like 2

I think it's odd that the eyeliner and eyeshadow are not available or "out of stock" as a choose you sample option but are available for purchase in the Birchbox Store.

• Like 2

I think it's odd that the eyeliner and eyeshadow are not available or "out of stock" as a choose you sample option but are available for purchase in the Birchbox Store.

I'm sure it just has to do with how many samples they have appropriated for the PYS.

Probably because the PYS is sample size whereas the shop items are full sized.

Well for one thing, thanks for giving me so much to read when I got home today! Here's how my day went.

1) 6 am start driving (from KY to NC. As the only adult. With 2 little boys and a dog)

2) 10:30 am doughnut break at a rest stop. I see the BB emails, reserve an LG shadow on my primary account, and get a confirmation message "thanks for reserving the black eyeliner!" WHAT? The page for my other account won't load, so I shoot a quick email with my selections on each account, and get back on the road.

3) Drive drive drive.

4) More driving.

5) Get home around 5 PM, no email replies, call Birchbox. "Sorry your selections are gone" No points offer, nothing. She did "opt me out" of the eyeliner.

6) find a random email reply from 11 am on my 2nd account "we reserved you for an every girl box". Now I'm afraid talking to the rep on the phone messed it up somehow. (Darn you gmail!)

7) read so many many pages on this thread about how the sample selection got messed up. Decide to be grateful for my life exactly how it is, even if I have to pick and choose my (very few) subs. I un/re subbed both accounts with 100 pt codes this month so I'm already ahead!

Also, I love all of you lovely ladies on MUT. Thanks for letting me vent!

• Like 10

I've had BB for over 2 years as well and have never see this option.  The most I've seen are the addon's and recently (this year) where we can choose a color or item.

More than three years over here.  This is the first time.  The previous times when there have been box options, you picked between curated boxes (Teen Vogue, Gossip Girl, and Goop are the curators that come to mind, but I think there were a couple more where you got to opt in) with unknown contents or non-curated boxes.  The curated boxes had variations just like the non-curated ones, so even if you picked the curated option, you didn't know what you would be getting.  This is the first time in my forty-if-I-counted-correctly boxes that I can remember them *ever* revealing everything in a box ahead of time.

Boo, did Birchbox put a stop to being able to buy giftcards with points?  I just tried and it would only let me put it on a cc but I wanted to use points.  Maybe it has been so long since I have done it, I did it wrong?

• Like 1

Well, if you or I  went to Bloomingdale's and they GAVE you or me  foil samples of really lovely products that we wanted to try before we buy, that would be fine, wouldn't it? But to pay for what is actually free is insulting. Plus, it is NOT sanitary to stick fingers in a pack that cannot be sealed back up. 

I only use spatulas and cotton pads with my products. You do that with a foil, and there's nothing left. Plus the way you can't seal them back. Unsanitary. I won't ever use foil packets. 

I think you've overstated the amount of product in a foil packet. :) It's minimal. 

A good trick with foils is to cut just a tiny corner off one end, just enough to squeeze some out.  Or to prick one side with a needle (etc).  This will keep it fresh and sanitary.  Why would you stick fingers into foils anyways?  Don't you just squish them?  

Not all companies offered through BB give out free samples if you contact them directly.  Plus, BB gives you points for your reviews, so you get generally half the cost back in store credit.  Malls etc don't do that.  Plus you have to pay for gas and time, so the cost is basically a wash between the two options.  

A lot of foils have plenty of product to adequately test them out.  I get foils from Sephora orders almost every week, and most foils of skincare etc are minimum one weeks worth.  Some aren't, but most.  BB sends samples to try, not to stock your cabinet for an entire month or more, lol. 

• Like 3

I really hope Birchbox starts sampling Skyn Iceland now that they have some items in the shop! :wub: [or maybe they have already??] Also pumped that I can use points to buy my regular skincare stuff now!

• Like 5

Last month I didn't get the email to choose until the window was closed. This time the only thing I would have picked (cream eyeshadow) was out when I wnt to choose. So whatever, I didn't choose anything and will just get a normal box. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Boo, did Birchbox put a stop to being able to buy giftcards with points?  I just tried and it would only let me put it on a cc but I wanted to use points.  Maybe it has been so long since I have done it, I did it wrong?

tricky tricky BB...I just tried it too and it wouldn't let me purchase a gift card with points.  then I added a pick 2 to my cart - still no.  Then I started over and just had a pick 2 and another product in my cart - no gift card and then the points option came up.  I bought a gift card about a week ago using points so this new (and not a good change...)

eta if this is a permanent change and not some glitch they should set it so that points never expire...or else how will I hoard them all   :ph34r:

Edited by Tamarin

Ok so I got my email for the 20% to use in the online store. I also went with the Laura Gellar sample of the eyeliner. This will be my first box so I hope it's a good one. I will probably order the chantecaille papillons butterfly eyeshadow compact. It looks so pretty. I remember seeing this item in a magazine. I haven't tried any of these brands so I am hoping to find some new faves. Anyone have any thoughts or reviews on these two brands.

Last month I didn't get the email to choose until the window was closed. This time the only thing I would have picked (cream eyeshadow) was out when I wnt to choose. So whatever, I didn't choose anything and will just get a normal box. Maybe I'll get lucky.

Man, time to go to bed.  The way this post was aligned on my screen, "cream" was right above "choose," and so I naturally read it as "cream cheese."

tricky tricky BB...I just tried it too and it wouldn't let me purchase a gift card with points.  then I added a pick 2 to my cart - still no.  Then I started over and just had a pick 2 and another product in my cart - no gift card and then the points option came up.  I bought a gift card about a week ago using points so this new (and not a good change...)

eta if this is a permanent change and not some glitch they should set it so that points never expire...or else how will I hoard them all   :ph34r:

This has happened before.  One time, at one point, the only gift card option available was a $110 gift sub, which made *no sense* whatsoever.  Things went back to buying-gift-cards-with-points normal a few days later.

• Like 1

Has anyone emailed them to ask about this? I would but I have had to contact them too many times lately and I'm sure they have me flagged as an annoying complainer so maybe it would be better coming from someone else...