Covering Redness

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I've been having this problem for a long time..longer than I can remember. I'm warm toned, but have alot of redness on my face. I've tried so many different type of primers, foundations, powders, moisturizers...they all don't work. I even go to Sephora and ask whats a good primer for oily skin with lots of redness, in which they recommend me the Hourglass Veil Mineral primer. I brought the travel size of it. It's okay but it leaves a somewhat "white cast" on me when I apply and spread around. I hate having my makeup looking perfect, but the stupid redness peaking through and make me look like my face and neck are two complete different color. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Is there anything you ladies (or gents) can recommend for me to try? Thanks.

That is odd they would recommend a translucent primer to counteract redness.  Is the redness rosacea related or something else?

That is odd they would recommend a translucent primer to counteract redness.  Is the redness rosacea related or something else?
I don't have rosacea..or at least I don't believe so. The only skin condition I have is eczema, but it's mostly on my arms and legs, but under control. When I don't use makeup, my face is fine - little/no redness. but when i wearing makeup, particularly foundations/powders/primers, the redness would show very well, which is odd to me. i been using the tarte loose powder and it has been working for a bit, but after a few hours (~3-4), the redness would show through..especially in hot, humid weather. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I couldn't find this thread again! But anyway I would maybe look into Clinique or another brand like that, I know Clinique is supposed to have "even better" evening-out makeup and skin care.  It might be worth looking into a skin care brand that has products to help reduce redness instead of just covering with makeup. 

It cosmetics Bye Bye Redness is an amazing product! I also recommend Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation. It covers EVERYTHING! My face gets red and I don't have rosacea and both those products are exceptional and cover it totally.

I would counter act the redness with a green primer. Try Make Up Forever primer in 1 Green or Smashbox primer in Green. The green primer should neutralize the redness and then when you put foundationon top the redness shouldn't show. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hope this helps. Sorry if this has already been said before. 

I would counter act the redness with a green primer. Try Make Up Forever primer in 1 Green or Smashbox primer in Green. The green primer should neutralize the redness and then when you put foundationon top the redness shouldn't show. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hope this helps. Sorry if this has already been said before. 
Sorry that's a misconception from the 1970's. And make-up technology has kept up to today's lighting environments (LED, OLED, Xenon, HID, daylight fluorescence).

In order to counteract the redness, you need the exact same green shade as the red shade. A tiny bit off, and the skin goes grey. 

Ever wonder why people's over tones become ashy after they've applied a green primer / corrector? Because the green only comes in one or two shade variances to cover over a thousand different shades of red. Basic colour theory 101 and that's why greens don't work any more. 

So how does one cover extreme redness like a bright red sun burn, or rosacea? Simple. Foundation. Foundations are red blockers, as they're designed that way. Cremes work better in extreme redness conditions because of the texture. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried the Smashbox green primer before and honestly, didn't like it at all. it made me look so ashy. I heard good thing about the MUF HD Green Primer, so I'll probably try it out before buying it. 

Sorry that's a misconception from the 1970's. And make-up technology has kept up to today's lighting environments (LED, OLED, Xenon, HID, daylight fluorescence).

In order to counteract the redness, you need the exact same green shade as the red shade. A tiny bit off, and the skin goes grey. 

Ever wonder why people's over tones become ashy after they've applied a green primer / corrector? Because the green only comes in one or two shade variances to cover over a thousand different shades of red. Basic colour theory 101 and that's why greens don't work any more. 

So how does one cover extreme redness like a bright red sun burn, or rosacea? Simple. Foundation. Foundations are red blockers, as they're designed that way. Cremes work better in extreme redness conditions because of the texture. 
But my foundation still doesn't cover up redness for a long enough time...without primer, it last about an hour until the redness peak through. What foundations do you recommend? I have oily to combo skin, sensitive also.

But my foundation still doesn't cover up redness for a long enough time...without primer, it last about an hour until the redness peak through. What foundations do you recommend? I have oily to combo skin, sensitive also.
Use an oil-free primer as per usual, Smashbox's Photo finish has an oil-free version.

I recommend creme based foundations like Kryolan, Eve Pearl, Cinema Secrets, Dermablend, Dermacolor, Joe Blasco, Graftobian, Mehron, RCMA. You will definitely find a shade here and the price points are in the same ballpark. 

Kryolan's Dermacolor line, Joe Blasco, and RCMA have medical grade foundations for skins healing from laser, chemical therapies, burns, grafts etc. The other brands are very comparable like Eve Pearl and Cinema Secrets.

Work from a palette. Metal, ceramic, glass, whatever, just not plastic! That way you can sheer out the texture if you find it too thick, most likely you won't as these brands' foundations are very workable. Also you'll save product working from a palette.

I recommend using a proper foundation brush for application, and NOT a fibre optic brush. (Again, you're working with cremes, not liquids!). Because of your skin's sensitivity, stipple your foundation on. Also, it's the correct way anyway... And no redness should be peaking through.

Liquid foundations are too sheer, hence they don't have the 'physical blocking' (texture) of a creme formulation to effectively cover extreme redness.

Use an oil-free powder with a washable velour puff, not a powder brush! Always pat and press the powder on with the puff to set the foundation. 

Touching up throughout the day is normal. Based on your info, I suggest using blot papers first. MAC Blot Film is excellent, and then reapply with an oil-free blot powder using a puff.

I know you've heard it a thousand times... Avoid touching your face. I know it's difficult, but try too.

If any redness starts to peek through in the late afternoon, Just reapply with your foundation brush and then powder. Since this is just you, put a small amount of foundation on the inside lid of the palette and work from there.

However at this point in the day, it's probably Miller Time anyway, and it's time to punch-the-clock. In which case you can just go home and wash the day off, or if you have other plans, you can either wash and redo, or just touch up and go.

HTH

Use an oil-free primer as per usual, Smashbox's Photo finish has an oil-free version.

I recommend creme based foundations like Kryolan, Eve Pearl, Cinema Secrets, Dermablend, Dermacolor, Joe Blasco, Graftobian, Mehron, RCMA. You will definitely find a shade here and the price points are in the same ballpark. 

Kryolan's Dermacolor line, Joe Blasco, and RCMA have medical grade foundations for skins healing from laser, chemical therapies, burns, grafts etc. The other brands are very comparable like Eve Pearl and Cinema Secrets.

Work from a palette. Metal, ceramic, glass, whatever, just not plastic! That way you can sheer out the texture if you find it too thick, most likely you won't as these brands' foundations are very workable. Also you'll save product working from a palette.

I recommend using a proper foundation brush for application, and NOT a fibre optic brush. (Again, you're working with cremes, not liquids!). Because of your skin's sensitivity, stipple your foundation on. Also, it's the correct way anyway... And no redness should be peaking through.

Liquid foundations are too sheer, hence they don't have the 'physical blocking' (texture) of a creme formulation to effectively cover extreme redness.

Use an oil-free powder with a washable velour puff, not a powder brush! Always pat and press the powder on with the puff to set the foundation. 

Touching up throughout the day is normal. Based on your info, I suggest using blot papers first. MAC Blot Film is excellent, and then reapply with an oil-free blot powder using a puff.

I know you've heard it a thousand times... Avoid touching your face. I know it's difficult, but try too.

If any redness starts to peek through in the late afternoon, Just reapply with your foundation brush and then powder. Since this is just you, put a small amount of foundation on the inside lid of the palette and work from there.

However at this point in the day, it's probably Miller Time anyway, and it's time to punch-the-clock. In which case you can just go home and wash the day off, or if you have other plans, you can either wash and redo, or just touch up and go.

HTH
thank you for your very informative info. I will definitely check out a few of those brands you list. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back