Fake Product?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently ordered the "Taupe" blush by NYX through Ebay, as it was my only way to get it. Now I'm a bit worried whether it's real or fake. What made me question it, is that the NYX blushes I've seen online has "NYX ♥ Blush" on the lid. Mine has "NYX ♥ Powder Blush Fard à Joues" on the lid. Sorry for the bad quality, they were the best shots I could get. What do you think, is it fake? And if it is I shouldn't be using it, right?
nyxblush.jpg

Nope that doesn't look fake - it looks like it was packaged for the Canadian market!  They have to have French on everything as well as English...so I'm pretty certain your product is fine.  And I suspect that someone who makes fakes is more likely to make chanel or MAC before they make NYX!

I am only guessing though...hope someone with more NYX info can help!  

Last edited by a moderator:
While I am no expert, it looks real enough to me, only BECAUSE of the French! I am in Buffalo, which is right on the Canadian border, and we often receive products (and not just makeup either, but groceries and fast food and a legion of other items) packaged to meet Canada's legal requirements for language equity.

Okay, thank you very much ladies! It got dispatched from London in England, but I'm guessing the seller could have gotten her products of the Canadian market anyway. I had no idea they have to have french on their products as well.

As a Canadian, yup, that's exactly what ours look like! Even if it were to have the french on top of the english, it's good, because that just means it was packaged for the quebec market. Canadian law requires both english and french on product packaging, and the province of quebec requires things to either be entirely in french, or, if you're including another language, for the non-french to be in smaller font and come after the french.

It is real. You do not have to worry. Moreover, ebay products are never fake as far as I have experienced.
Ebay products are very often fake - despite being illegal to deal in counterfeits, there are plenty of sellers who still do so. The my advice is to check where the product is originating from, what type of feedback the seller has received and do your research on how an authentic product should look, so that you can report a counterfeit if you find your item suspicious.

I'd love to know where this magical eBay is where nothing is counterfeit. At any rate, there isn't much profit to be made from faking more affordable brands like Nyx, but be wary especially of MAC on eBay. Any brand that is hyper-selective on stores that sell it isn't going to show up in large lots. That's an easy way to spot something fishy, look at how many the person has for sale.

Hey i was wondering if you could help me decide if this MAC studio fix powder plus is fake or not.I purchased it off ebay £10 (i realise now i was a bit silly thinking i'd get it that cheap), and only one of this sellers hundreds of reviews suggests the products are fake.I've looked online for help but only have a few indicators; like the box being broken, sticker on bottom of box etc.

Thank you! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

It is real. You do not have to worry. Moreover, ebay products are never fake as far as I have experienced.
Um...no. Ebay is going to have more risk than most websites due to the lack of regulation, and anyone can put whatever they want on there (which can be great!) you have to be careful. I'm glad you've had a good experience with ebay, and you probably will continue to have a good experience just be careful when ordering from ebay, especially more expensive products. Also I'd be wary of those mass produced palette's. I haven't heard of anyone personally having a bad experience with them but I'm not even sure where they originate from despite being so popular and that's a bit of a red flag in my personal opinion. 

TL;DR Be careful. Ebay's great but you have to be smart about it. 

Ebay products are very often fake - despite being illegal to deal in counterfeits, there are plenty of sellers who still do so. The my advice is to check where the product is originating from, what type of feedback the seller has received and do your research on how an authentic product should look, so that you can report a counterfeit if you find your item suspicious.
This. I want to add, though, that very high rating with no or very little negative feedback doesn't leave you in the clear- very often the other buyers just have no idea the products are fake. For example, for a report I helped on, a little over 80% of the Creme de la Mer we purchased on eBay was counterfeit, and the buyers we used all had nothing lower than 98% feedback with at least 400 feedback (most were in the thousands).

It's best to use your good judgment. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. NYX is such an inexpensive brand that I doubt you're dealing in a lot of fakes, but I could be wrong. I *know* MAC and UD are a hotbed for fakes, and any limited edition items. Be safe, ladies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey i was wondering if you could help me decide if this MAC studio fix powder plus is fake or not.I purchased it off ebay £10 (i realise now i was a bit silly thinking i'd get it that cheap), and only one of this sellers hundreds of reviews suggests the products are fake.I've looked online for help but only have a few indicators; like the box being broken, sticker on bottom of box etc.

Thank you! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

There might be experts on here that can help, but it's really hard to tell by packaging alone because the packaging is the easiest thing to replicate. The best thing you can do to find out from now is to examine one you know to be real. Some stores will tell you if it is or isn't.

It doesn't matter if only one person brought up that they're fake or possibly fake, most consumers have no idea they're purchasing fakes and if they've never seen a real one or don't know how they should look/feel, or if it's a good fake, it's really, really, REALLY hard to tell sometimes. I agree with the poster above, don't buy unless you're sure or don't care if you're getting a fake. When I sold a couple of items, I provided my raceipt, my email receipts, anything I could to help others feel safe, but those wouldn't be difficult to reproduce, either.

While I am no expert, it looks real enough to me, only BECAUSE of the French! I am in Buffalo, which is right on the Canadian border, and we often receive products (and not just makeup either, but groceries and fast food and a legion of other items) packaged to meet Canada's legal requirements for language equity.
Greetings! I am in Buffalo too!

Back