August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly Silva

Evolution of a Foodie
Reaction score
I was just wondering when someone would start this thread, so I figured I'd start one instead! August! It's almost here, and I need to go on a no buy. Moving, and other big life changes have made me realize I need to stop spending so much. I am allowing myself apartment furniture, and other expenses for that, and my last Ipsy bag, and that's it. What are your no buy/low buy plans for August?

August is going to be a VERY low buy for me. We're going on vacation in September, plus everyone has school starting so I will be focusing my efforts on those two things.

With that said, there are a few purchases I already have planned, so I can't make a no-buy entirely. I'll get my goals list together and come back to this thread. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

August is no-buy time  again for me :C I was considering allowing myself a $10 purchase, probably an eyeshadow single (because I'm an addict that way), but the truth is that I just need to buckle down and wear my items and not buy more...especially since chances are by the end of the year I'll be working from home, and what's the point of glamming up with shadow on the daily then.

So no moar makeup for me :C IF, after everything, I choose to buy something, it'll have to be a neutral lol.... something I can wear daily. 

I will join you all for August.  July has been a spendy month overall.  My son is going off to college in August so, July included the dorm/laptop spending.  Also, add in vacation, furniture purchases, clothes, gym membership for son #2, car repairs, etc.  I think I hit every shopping category possible.

I took one of those GWP makeup bags and put in all the makeup products I will use for the month.  If I need to, I will replace with items I already have.  I hope to post in the "trash can" thread for the first time.

I have my GLOSSYBOX that is paid for.  I do have a hair appointment and will get my pedicure with my daughter.  Other than that, I will not buy myself a single thing.  My kids will get backpacks and school and sport supplies and if they are good ~ food! 

If I am sad when I drop my son off, I will be tempted.  So, this is going to be a challenge.

I actually did surprisingly well this month! Of course, there are still a few days left in July and I could go totally nutso, but I don't see that happening. The only thing I bought was a $5 Rimmel foundation, as well as a few incredibly necessary anti-itch things, so I'm pretty proud of myself. I hope I can keep it up next month.

My goals are pretty simple: don't buy anything unnecessary (incredibly important since my husband and I are both unemployed at the moment), don't buy any makeup or beauty stuff, and keep focusing on the items for my project 15 pan and my pan that palette challenge. That's pretty much it.

I'm continuing my no buy for August - I actually did really well in July, with just a few slip ups that I felt were justified because they were clearance items related to my work wardrobe. This month I'm not allowing those, as I really don't need anything else. The goal is to clean and organize my home while I'm on break from school. I purchased a few things in July to help with this, and I'm only allowing myself one more item - something to store my nail polishes in. I had originally planned to get a helmer, but it was a little too flimsy for my liking. I may keep checking clearance items after the back to school rush to see if there's something that works, but that would be later this year.

For August, I have canceled ipsy completely, and I did not review my annual BB sub (even avoided the gilt city deal, which was one of the hardest things i've done). I skipped Julep, which I haven't canceled yet since I have enough jules for a free box that I want to use on a good box (though with all the changes, i might just cash them in next month). I haven't brought myself to cancel SquareHue yet though, mainly because I feel it's for a good cause and I can't cut myself off completely. I'm on the fence with Sample Society - I usually use all of my box, but now that they're including more makeup, I'm not sure if that trend will continue. I'm going to give myself the month of August to decide.

I am not allowing any more beauty related purchases. It is seriously ridiculous how much product I have. I need to do inventory, so I've added that to my August cleaning list. I've been tracking my empties the last couple months, and what you think is a little bit of product actually ends up being a lot! So my goal is to keep going and finish all the partially used products I have (or toss them if they've gone bad). I am still deciding if i should allow myself to use gift cards/points that I have already on these types of purchases, but honestly, with the birthdays coming up I should just use them towards getting gifts for others. One thing I am allowing myself to buy is my PC sunscreen, but I'm waiting for 20% off and free shipping. In the meantime, i have quite a few samples I can make do with.

whew, hopefully i can stick to all of that this month!

August will be a low buy month for me as well. Hopefully it will be a no buy in makeup because I said I wasn't getting anything until December. The thing is for the first week and a half of August I'll be visiting my parents with my lil' chipmunk. The hubby is staying home because he has to work. Boo to that. Well, the problem is, my parents live in the capital city so I'll have more shopping possibilities than I have in my lil' town :lol: . Maybe I'll be able to be good, but I doubt I will have so much willpower to completely ignore the sparkly stores. So, I am allowing myslef some bodycare items and a few nailpolishes. I desperetly need a new pair of sandals, some new shorts and .....well, some new undergarments. We'll see which of those are gonna happen. And I know I will be spending money going out, because I'll be seeing most of my childhood friends. It's gonna be a great time so I consider that to be money well spent. It's been a year since I went there so I really miss hanging out with everyone.

Of course, I am still sticking with trying to use up as much as I can of my older items. I discovered that some of the lipsticks I really hate so I might be trashing those. I don't feel too shopping deprived as this month another online store contacted me to send me some stuff for the blog. So I'll have new toys to play. I mean, new foundation, cream highlighter, blush, a new eyeshadow...should be enough to keep me busy for a while, right? :lol:

Good luck to all of us!

August is hard because it's my birthday month, and I want to indulge in all the pretties! But, I do need to keep going with my new-found willpower, so when I'm tempted to shop, I'll buy some of the things I actually need.

Things I can/should buy:

-school supplies for the kids

-birthday presents for the kids (one in Aug, one in Sept)

-shampoo/conditioner for myself (AFTER I use all the foil packets I have. I don't have travel plans for awhile, and they are taking up too much space!)

Other allowed purchases:

-one Birchbox

-second Birchbox IF I can find a 100 point code

-Ipsy

-Sample Society (must cancel either SS or Ipsy by the end of the month)

-One $15 Shiro Cosmetics order (thanks to a gift card from my Midsummer Modmother!)

-I can go to the SiJCP by me to get some waterproof makeup remover and my Birthday gift. If I'm by an Ulta I can get my bday gift BUT honestly not even interested in their mascara.

And that's it! I also need to organize my stash (again). I want to start concentrating on buying indies once I'm off my low-buy, with any "corporate" brand makeup coming from subs and/or Birchbox point purchases.

Good luck ladies!

Another August birthday over here!  August is part of my planned two-month replacement only no-buy that I started in July.  I've done very well this month (the only non-replacement item I bought was one Memebox), and I'm hoping for more of the same this month.  I think that over the course of July I've kind of broken my habit of shopping simply because of a "good deal," and my stash is becoming very manageable.  Something that I'll be working on this month is how much of a stash I am comfortable keeping on hand.  I like to have replacements on hand so that as soon as I finish something I am able to move on to the next thing right away, but I don't want to have too much stored up at a given time (who needs 10 full size body washes at a time, really?).

So, my rules for August:

- Replacement only purchases for makeup and skincare.

- I can keep my Birchbox and make purchases using Birchbox points (although I don't have that many points right now, so I'll likely be saving them until next month at least).

- I can keep ipsy this month, but if I'm not thrilled, I have to cancel.  If I do cancel ipsy, then I can consider rejoining Sample Society (I've always liked Sample Society in the past, I just ended up with too many samples and quit.)

- I need to skip the September Julep box unless there are great products in Modern Beauty that I actually need (I skipped July and August, so I no longer feel that I *need* to get a box.)

- Since it's my birthday month, I can make one purchase that would not otherwise be allowed under my rules (right now, I'm leaning toward a Memebox or an indie haul).  My birthday is at the end of the month, so I have plenty of time to decide.

Other than that, I'm going to continue focusing on using up things and my little Project Pan adventure.  I think this weekend I'll go through my makeup and pull out things that are getting old or having been worn in awhile and put into a box to use this week to see whether it is time to just toss.  I did that a couple of weeks ago and it was very helpful.

Let's do this, ladies!

Hi.  =)  I'd like to join you, please.

I used to get a bunch of the makeup subs, and then quit for a year and a half.  Didn't even really buy much makeup.

Recently I've been very stressed with house and job.  We're looking for a new house, I'm looking for a new job, but it's going s-l-o-w-l-y.  I think this is bringing on a collecting/ hoarding attack (exactly the type of thing I DON'T need if we're going to move after 25 years in the same huge house that we've managed to fill up aleady, am I right?!).  I've been buying a LOT of makeup the past few months.

In July I rejoined three sub boxes - Ipsy, Birchbox, and Sample Society.  This may seem to add to the problem, but I think it will really keep down the total amount I spend.  Also, it will keep me from looking on the web for new items to buy.  I have a backup or plenty left on all my HGs right now...  So in August, I will be a no-buy, other than these boxes, on makeup/skincare/haircare (other than if I start to run out of my Suave.  I co-wash, so it goes fast.  And it's super-cheap anyway).

I'm thinking of joining Gwynnie Bee for clothes, too, as I have a weird problem with that.  I'm recently gaining weight (probably also the stress), and hate how I look, so I tend to buy clothes with an eye to "It's cheap and will cover me."  So I end up with a bunch of cheap crap that looks awful on me, and I don't want to wear it again after the first time.  I also have a lot that no longer fits me, and I want to get rid of it before we move rather than save it "until it fits again".  Gwynnie Bee is expensive, but may be worth it for me.  We'll see.  But I do need good quality clothes, so I have to allow those.

But yeah.  Only makeup subs and clothes are allowed for August.

Good luck to all of you, and please wish it back to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
mellee, I'm a big advocate of Gwynnie Bee. You deserve to look cute, and GB will help a lot if your weight is fluctuating. You just need to get what will fit you next week, not worry about whether it will fit next year. At least try the free trial - I wound up getting mine extended by a couple weeks because twice they had to delay sending my package for a day. I think it would be worth it for you.

I've broken my no-buy already to the tune of a set of Real Techniques Core Collection brushes. In my defense I really don't own some of those brushes (I'm pretty new to this whole make-up thing), and if they help me use up what I've got they're worth it.

Memebox is a continual struggle for me. Why am I obsessed with buying new ones when I have three in my closet that I haven't used a single item from yet? It's hoarding in the worst sense.

Okay, sticking with the year-long no-buy! My mom bought me a Patti Dubrof palette from Costco and I'm not even letting myself touch it! I've used up so many products by shopping my stash this year (over 100!) that I'm down to one item in some categories like base/foundation products!

Got sick of wearing the same eyeshadow most days since April (considering how much I used to switch it up!) so I broke out the Stila quad on my project pan list that was being saved for Autumn. Sticking to that for a little while now, hopefully until November but we will see! Focusing on three lip products this month that are all more than halfway empty, and trying to make a dent in a specific bronzer that I have barely touched this summer. Also focusing on a certain blush because I have two blushes I'm trying to pan/finish and the other one is best for winter.

So. August products:

-Stila eyeshadow quad (includes eyeliner shade)

-Clinique blush

-Bare Minerals bronzer (GWP size)

-Lancôme JuicyTubes gloss (GWP size)

-Smashbox gloss (GWP size)

-Avon lipstick (sample size)

mellee, I'm a big advocate of Gwynnie Bee. You deserve to look cute, and GB will help a lot if your weight is fluctuating. You just need to get what will fit you next week, not worry about whether it will fit next year. At least try the free trial - I wound up getting mine extended by a couple weeks because twice they had to delay sending my package for a day. I think it would be worth it for you.
I'm going to give it a try - especially now that I see they've added pants.  But I'm going to wait to join up until the 15th, since all my sub boxes charge on the 1st.  (Why exactly do ALL the sub boxes charge on the 1st, anyway?  Someone should start one that charges on the 15thish and ships on the 25thish.  I bet they'd make a killing just because it's at a time when none of the others charge/ship!)

Ok, got my list sorted out. In August....

I am allowed the following beauty purchases:

- Ipsy

- Sample Society

- Sephora Rouge Event ($100 maximum)

- New Dior Quint (Will try to use Ebates)

- $50 for replenishments

Other necessary purchases:

- Kids school supplies

- Kids uniforms

- My school supplies

- Fall/Winter wardrobe essentials

Goals:

- Use up current bottle of Vitalumiere Aqua so I can replace with lighter shade for Fall/Winter.

- Use up that infernal Dr. Jart+ BB cream that will not die.

- Use up two more MAC products for Back 2 MAC (or finally depot one).

- Sort through my selection of samples and make a "mommy pampering" kit for my sister who is due in August.

- Sort through my current wardrobe and donate or discard any worn out or ill fitting items, to be replaced for the new season.

I WILL NOT:

- Buy any more lip products. I'm swimming in them.

- Buy any more perfume. I need to work through some bottles.

- Buy any more eyeshadow. I've a lifetimes worth. (Dior quint is an exception :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

Argh, my low buy doesn't seem so low looking at this list, but compared to July, it will be. Actually, if I can squeeze in the Dior before August it will seem a whole lot better... :lol:

In seriousness, though, the bulk of my spending will be on school related stuff, which is actually quite fund to purchase (except textbooks, which are criminal) so I should be able to hold of on beauty quite easily.

August will be a makeup no-buy for me and a controlled-buy for other things.

I was originally going to allow a Darling Girl order for the Superstar Serum if there was a sale in August; however, they have a sale going on now (ends tomorrow) so I took advantage of it and this is why August is a make-up no buy for me. Last month I thought I was going to allow Meow Cosmetics for August, too - but I checked my inventory and I have enough foundation to last a year and enough eyeshadow and blush to last a lifetime; so this is not allowed for August, either.

Things that I'm allowing:

• Clothes and shoes - I'm going home for a bit in August, so I anticipate some shopping (there are outlets and my parents tend to be great enablers). For clothes, I'll probably have an eye out for more professional clothes (and I'll shop my mom's stash). I don't have a lot of shoes and I only go for practical stuff anyways, so this should be fine - I might look for a pair of professional shoes and/or brown/off-white athletic shoes.
  • Rice cooker - my friends and family are shocked that I have survived a year without one. My Asian-ness has been called into question and this needs to be remedied.
  • Replacement products - my Olay micro-sculpting serum is kind of low, so I may have to look for a new anti-aging serum. I might also purchase a new conditioner - I like having two shampoo/conditioner sets and I currently have 1.5 (the missing 0.5 is a conditioner). I'm currently trying the different scents of Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner sets, so the cost won't be high. I don't anticipate having to replace anything else.
Not allowed: subscription services, nail polish, and makeup

I need to do a no buy for August as well. We just bought a house and made the first payment...ouch! Lol...

My no buy is going to be pretty simple....I am allowed my current subs (Rainbow Honey, Glitter Guilty, and Black Sheep lacquer.) Then, I am going to look to cancel at least one of them by the end of the month for a few reasons....for one thing, I don't need so many nail polish subs, and two, I have been a little underwhelmed by the polishes I've been getting lately. I also skipped Julep for the month and I will be looking to cancel that as well. I think if I take one more box I'll have enough points for a free box. I'm then going to cash out & cancel. Just going to wait for a box that really catches my eye, I don't want to take one just to take one.

I am allowed to only purchase things I am completely out of, samples included. When we moved I realized just how much stuff I really have. And I'm not talking just makeup, half of my clothes were in a closet at my mother in law's house. Still don't know where I'm going to put them all yet...but I have been really good about getting rid of stuff I don't like/no longer wear, so now it's just going to be going through it and seeing what I want to keep and what I want to get rid of.

I do need a new pair of running shoes, that will be an allowed purchase this month. Once I get them, I must plan on running at least twice per week. With the wedding, honeymoon, house purchase and moving all in such a short time I have been seriously slacking on my exercise routine. I feel like I need to be getting the house in order, but I need to find some balance, too.

And that's it, I should basically be grocery shopping this month and that's about all....lol.

I hope everyone has good luck on their no buys. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I am committed to using my just purchased Lancôme Rouge in Love lipstick in Lasting Kiss..  It was $28 and I don't like the formula.  The coverage isn't what I wanted.  Its messy if that makes sense.   Once this is gone I have plenty of backups of lesser cost!  This purchase was the one that made me get my act together for August. 

Good luck fellow no/low buyers.  I have already started and am currently on lockdown with beauty products.

Good luck fellow no/low buyers.  I have already started and am currently on lockdown with beauty products.
Yep, I already started too and it's my first no buy. It will be weird for me because I don't think my spending will decrease just because I happen to need to buy furniture and other expensive items for moving. But at least I won't accumulate more beauty stuff I'll have to pack.

i did really well for july. i did just buy a tv yesterday (!), but we really badly needed a new one. we still have the crt tv, and we don't have cable (can't stand the fees!). we do over the air tv, but have to constantly adjust the antenna, etc...and it's driving us nuts! also, there's just not a lot of shows here with good reception. i really like some shows on pbs, but again, reception was bad. i got a 48" smart tv, which should be more than enough for us. i also signed up for amazon prime and netflix, so we won't need cable still. 

anyway, back to no/low buy -- as for my july beauty purchases, here's the recap: i spent $50 in sephora (clinique toner, dior nail polish), $6 at UD (sale eyeshadow), $10 at beauty.com (no7 cleansing wipes), $22 at belk (dior top coat), and a clarisonic mia2 from birchbox that i got for a really good deal. it probably looks like a lot, but this is actually looking great to me! with the exception of the UD sale eyeshadow i haven't even opened yet (it came with an awesome GWP, that i also haven't even opened yet...), all of these items are thing that i needed/wanted for a long time. i needed a top coat and a nude nail polish so i got the dior ones. i know it didn't have to be expensive, but the quality is really there, and now i can stop looking for other better brands, since i'm already very pleased. although not a miracle product for me, the mia2 is nice to have.

so yeah, i had a great low buy for july, and i resisted so many deals! but my goal for august: NO BUY!

like i said, i just bought a tv, and i will have to pay for my tuition at the end of august. we're also having a vacation in florida for 2 weeks. i'm fully stocked with everything! in fact, i'm trying to use up a bunch of travel sized lotions/body wash/shampoo/everything, so no need to buy any more.

i really want this lamp though to go with the new tv: http://www.cb2.com/big-dipper-arc-floor-lamp/s126317  

I'm back to meal planning, shopping with a seriously-stick-to-it-THIS-MEANS-YOU! list, and going to the regular grocery rather than Whole Foods.  It's rather amazing that this alone will save several hundreds of dollars a month.  Groceries and restaurants are big downfalls for us.  We're foodies.  Need to stop being foodies for a while and focus on being housies!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back