Kelly Silva

August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

I seem to have actually been successful on a no buy for once! I made one Sephora order early in the month with my gift card, which was allowed, and other than that, I didn't buy any other makeup this month. I was tempted a bunch of times, but each time, I reminded myself that I do not need any more makeup.

• Like 3

My no buy was a SUCESS!! Well ok I spent $12 but that is only twelve dollars! I am very proud of myself. I found it so much easier the longer I went. I really started to appreciate how much I had, and it forced me to play with things I have already and use them in different ways.

• Like 5

I resisted SOOOOO many purchases this month, and then the Ulta 10x points happened and I slid into a weird mood that could only be fixed with shopping. Fortunately, I couldn't quite justify any purchases (mediocre reviews, backups of things that I'm only halfway through). So even though I felt like a disaster, I only went over by $6. I also received an ebates refund for $23. I'm considering this month a success!
Money spent:

158 Chikuhodo - brushes at 18% off. I'd planned to spend a few hundred on Hakuhodo this fall, but these are comparable and on sale.
38 thrift stores - Jeans
48 Julep - 10 polishes from my HTF/wish list, clean up tool, base coat, five eyeliners that have great reviews that I'm dying to try, and lip primer which was free and turns out to be really great
11 Pumpkin and Poppy - contouring powder, which is now a daily essential.
32 PopSugarMustHave - That scarf. I "need" it.
57 Ulta - 10x points!!!! come on!!! Dipbrow, brow wiz, and two hair brushes. I honestly think it's been 7 years since I bought a new brush.
2 memebox -purple blush that I've been craving. It was either $2 here or spend $20 on an assortment of purple indie blushes.

TOTAL $356 ($333 counting ebates)

I also got a pair of Elizabeth and James sandals from MyHabit using referral credit, and a Baublebar necklace using a gift card. I have credit remaining at both places, and about $50 credit at Hautelook.

Since I'd normally spend $400, I'm going to put the extra $67 towards loan repayment.

With the exception of PSMH (since I don't know what all is in it yet), all of my purchases this month were products that I am thrilled about, AND they were all great deals.

I'm not sure what to do for September. I realized that if I think I've exceeded my budget, I give up on it completely. But on the other hand, sometimes having a budget feels like I HAVE to spend all that money. The most helpful thing is to decide that I might buy [whatever] eventually, but I'm definitely not buying it today. Then I keep making that same "not today" decision until i don't want it anymore, or I've wanted it for long enough that it's no longer an impulse buy.

I'm going to think about my shopping list, wish list, likely temptations this month, and I'll post my September plan later this week. In the September thread, obvs.

• Like 1

Overall I did just okay in August. I spent my 5 item makeup budget. I've been working on using things up. But I did spend my 5 item budget for September last week because I wanted a few things from the new MAC collection and a couple things for Fall. I also purchased a few Fall clothing items to refresh my closet, and a pair of boots. That plus groceries and eating out with friends made things excessive. Despite all that, I definitely feel like I've made progress mentally. I'm really focused on using things up now and not hoarding anymore. September is going to be a pretty strict No Buy for me again since my July one went so well - see you all there!

Overall I did just okay in August. I spent my 5 item makeup budget. I've been working on using things up. But I did spend my 5 item budget for September last week because I wanted a few things from the new MAC collection and a couple things for Fall. I also purchased a few Fall clothing items to refresh my closet, and a pair of boots. That plus groceries and eating out with friends made things excessive. Despite all that, I definitely feel like I've made progress mentally. I'm really focused on using things up now and not hoarding anymore. September is going to be a pretty strict No Buy for me again since my July one went so well - see you all there!

Sounds great! Keep up the good work! I definitely feel the difference in my mental set once I taught myself about low buy/use up concept -- A lot of things don't look tempting any more at the moment :)

I found that when I was able to resist the biggest thing that helped me was "I can get it later". I've read a book about this being a good philosophy when it comes to trying to eat healthy (I can have it later) because you're not telling yourself no, but you know that it will always be there another day. Well, this worked until everything I wanted was limited and I couldn't actually get it later if it was gone. I'll need to work on that for September.

• Like 3

I found that when I was able to resist the biggest thing that helped me was "I can get it later". I've read a book about this being a good philosophy when it comes to trying to eat healthy (I can have it later) because you're not telling yourself no, but you know that it will always be there another day. Well, this worked until everything I wanted was limited and I couldn't actually get it later if it was gone. I'll need to work on that for September.

So true!

In fact, the only reason I caved and bought a makeup item ($8) this month (during my no-buy) is because it was a limited edition fall collection and every time I visited a Walgreens to find it, all the shades I wanted were gone. No kidding. Finally I saw them and had to snap them up. Which brought me to also purchasing some fashion magazines. Eugh!! Why? I was doing so well this month!

I did eh in August.  Super great until almost the very end.  I spent about $130 in the last week or so of August but had been doing great at not buying anything all month before then! I even cancelled a birchbox subscription (OK I still have one so it wasn't that big of a sacrifice, but still!).  I need to come up with a September plan (ooo birthday month) and maybe throw myself into the project pan thread.  I do really like my purchases.  And I realized I made them in the most part to hoard points to use during the holidays/at a later date.  It's a  weird way to justify things and I need to stop thinking I am saving much money if I am spending in order to make something free later.  I feel like this month wasn't a fail, but wasn't really a success either.  I did use some stuff up though! So I get to post on the used it up thread tonight which is really the best part of the month ending because I always feel so proud.  

So true!

In fact, the only reason I caved and bought a makeup item ($8) this month (during my no-buy) is because it was a limited edition fall collection and every time I visited a Walgreens to find it, all the shades I wanted were gone. No kidding. Finally I saw them and had to snap them up. Which brought me to also purchasing some fashion magazines. Eugh!! Why? I was doing so well this month!

But it sounds like it was a long awaited and well deserved purchase! And $8 isn't too bad as long as you come back on track right away! 

Definitely did not do well for August (which was supposed to be a makeup no-buy month) :(

I spent around $35 on indies in the middle of the month; and then I caved on the Hello Waffle sale ($36) because she released a collection that I hadn't anticipated :unsure: My internal justifier says that I had $33 in credit card cash rewards and a $35 ebates cash back to more or less cancel out the purchases, but still -_-

Anyways... I think September is going to be a low-buy for me.