Kelly Silva

August 2014 No Buy/Low Buy Thread - Hugs, Commiseration, and confessional

So, I purchased an eye shadow palette today.  :blush2:   This probably is a bad start.  It took me 4 hours to make the purchase.   I had ugly makeup day yesterday.  Today, I threw out ugly makeup.   So, I needed to replace ugly makeup which is allowed.  Now, the caveat is, I have a low pigmented Maybelline quad I could have used and a bunch of Clinique GWP duo's that were never my color that I could use.  This really is my one neglected area of makeup.  So, I decided not to suffer through wacky colors and get myself set up.

I am not sure I followed my rules or not.  :scared:  I did get free shipping with a few add ons, 30% and Ebates (I hope as it was a 4 hour online debate).

I too purchased a lot of stuff in this unnamed sale. But hey, it's not August yet? Right?? :blush:

Edited by BlackMagicRose
  • Like 2

Oh to Hell with this! After my little rant you girls will think I live in a third world country. Not really, I'm in Europe but shit happens. Sooo, they are pulling Revlon out of the market. Seems it didn't sell well here and everything is being sent buh-bye! Great, freakin great! Another nice brand I won't be able to get easily now! I am panicking like nobody's bussines beacuse I love the Colorstay foundation. I don't own it at the moment, but I do own 4 other foundations. The question is, do I run and buy some or just admitt that I also like other stuff?

Also, after years and years, Maybelline decided to bring Babylips in my country. Yeah, we are a couple years late to the party, but you know, better late than never! I am sooo tempted to just buy one and call it a day. You know that peep talk the cosmetic devil is giving me: just buy it, it's so cheap! Yes it is! But I don't need it! Or do I? It's not like I don't have 4 other lipbalms. Do you see a pattern here? Do you feel my pain?

I know it sound crazy but I feel better when I get on here and read about all the bumps in the road other ladies have.

I have to disagree and say pass on the foundation. If they're pulling the brand it'll get increasingly harder to get.. You don't want to fall in love with it and put yourself through searching for it - plus you were doing fine without it until you found out it was leaving! I say cut the cord now and focus on other things you like (those 4 foundations!) until you finish some up. By the time you're really ready for a new foundation there will be something even better out! Technology is always improving and when you do discover something new those backups will be sitting there expiring and you'll have wasted your money.

With the Babylips, could you try using up one or two of the ones you have and then purchasing one to try as a reward? We have them here but they're just lip balms really.. not magic like they claim to be. I bought a few when they first came out years ago but have since moved on!

Hope that helps! :)

• Like 4

@@BlackMagicRose ~ I agree with it not being August.  I was prepped and primed to be good though.  I had my makeup bag filled of stuff I would suffer through, I mean use for August.  I have been doing that successfully for weeks!  I have tossed stuff and used up stuff already and was feeling liberated.  I am going with at least I didn't buy more of something I have an abundance of.  I really have nothing. 

@ - I threw out an e.l.f. palette, a color tattoo and a primer.   The elf palette was a poor attempt at trying to give myself some colors that I would like.   I liked the colors but, not on me.  Holy glitter.   I used to buy a lot of Clinique and would time my needs around those GWP.  The eye shadows were always a disappointment in quality too.  I tossed two recently that were probably a 100 years old.  I think I have a few more hanging around with colors that are so out of fashion, they will never be in again.

I purchased a Tarte Limited Editiion Amazonian eye shadow palette with 16 colors.  If I can't find something that works in that, I am going to make my own shadow with mud.  I also got a smokey quartz eye liner and some eye makeup remover towelettes to help me get to $40 for free shipping.

Edited by Kookymama

I have to disagree and say pass on the foundation. If they're pulling the brand it'll get increasingly harder to get.. You don't want to fall in love with it and put yourself through searching for it - plus you were doing fine without it until you found out it was leaving! I say cut the cord now and focus on other things you like (those 4 foundations!) until you finish some up. By the time you're really ready for a new foundation there will be something even better out! Technology is always improving and when you do discover something new those backups will be sitting there expiring and you'll have wasted your money.

With the Babylips, could you try using up one or two of the ones you have and then purchasing one to try as a reward? We have them here but they're just lip balms really.. not magic like they claim to be. I bought a few when they first came out years ago but have since moved on!

Hope that helps! :)

Now that I've read this, I have to say I also agree with this...so perhaps it's just a matter of priorities. I mean, foundation is foundation, a gazillion companies make them and you can find great ones across a lot of boards and prices. On the other hand, if it's your HG maybe just extend your searching period a bit longer by purchasing, but ONLY if it's your HG. If it's not.. and you just like it and are only falling into the panic of not having it available later (survival instinct, we do it with food, too), then it's not worth it. 

• Like 2

@ ~ That must be the magic number.  $41.30 for me at tarte.  

i'm trying to break the habit of *if* i'm going to make an online purchase, i shouldn't throw random stuff into my cart to hit the magic free shipping number. i'm trying to remind myself that the cost of me going into my car, driving to the mall, looking for that item, and then risking buying other stuff/food/coffee makes that cost more than the $5-8 shipping tag anyway!

• Like 2

If I spend my gift card i will be getting 5 blushes for $2....i get 5 sleek blushes. but if i do, then i also spent $14 for the month, not 12....and would break my no-buy a second time. 

So I'm wondering if this is the "losing my mind from stress and just want shinies" moment I've been saving that card for, or if I can just wait longer. 

I went for it. ... the guilt will probably settle in later, but it's $2, and right now i'm dealing with so much stress i spoke with hubby about it. he said to deal with it however i could, and if spending $2 would bring in a moment of sunshine, it was ok.

Edited by jaylilee

Oh gosh, I'm awful - I got some stuff from Sephora's clearance section. I didn't spend too much, but I still spent money on stuff I didn't need. Someone slap me on the wrist!

I'm happy I have no desire to go to that 4X points for VIB Rouge deal that's happening next week, mainly because I'm horribly ashamed of my Rouge status and I don't really want others to know that I've spent that much money on makeup and junk. :/

Hmm, I would probably think about when the next big Sephora sale/points event is and maybe buy enough to last me until then. If you already have enough to last until, for example, the sale around November each year, then I wouldn't buy it. If you will run out at a time when there aren't any major sales, it would be better for you to buy now (unless you are having serious storage issues, I guess).

I'm totally guilty of buying backups, especially if stuff is being discontinued or 50% off on Hautelook. There have been a couple discontinued items that I have been very glad to have stocked up on over the years, but it seems like for every backup that gets used, two go unused. I think it's an anxiety thing, but something I need to stop, unless it's a super HG item. 

Resist the urge to hoard!  There will be other sales in the future where you can buy replacement items as needed.

Okay, I decided that my game plan for "stocking up" for the VIB Rouge sale will be to get just enough of my going-to-run-out skincare items to last me until the November sale, as suggested by @BlackMagicRose. Conveniently, my HG skincare items come in a minis set that is actually cheaper than if I was to buy the things separately. Once I use up what I have, that should be enough to hold me until November. I'm hopeful that by not having skincare to replace during my no-buy that there will be less temptations to slip other things at the cart from Sephora. 

looks like I'll be joining you ladies for August, since I was laid off last month, and until I find a new job, I really should stick to the budget. I'm still working out the rules of my no buy/low buy, as there is some stuff I actually need (replacements and manicure tools, since I decided to do my own manicures from now on), and I have some Birchbox points, Sephora gift card and generic gift card that I'm intending to spend on pretties... 

• Like 1

Ok ladies, thanks for the support! That Revlon Colorstay actually is my HG for fall-winter. However at the moment it's hot like Hell here so I wouldn't really use it. I just finished my last bottle a couple of weeks ago. I emailed two of the online stores that carry Revlon and their reply makes me happy. They said that while it is true Revlon won't be carried in stores any longer, their merchandise comes from outside the country and they will continue to sell the stuff online. Phewwww, glad I thought of that! So, if I'll still want thatcome winter, I'll just buy it. If it's not there anymore...I'll just deal with it!

And about the babylips, I know it's just lipbalm, but you know, all the cool kids have them and I don't :lol: . God, makeup and beauty makes me act so stupid sometimes! :blush: Here's the deal, I'll just use up one lipbalm and replace it with a Babylips. It will just be 11 lei (aroun2.5 euros) so it won't be that bad, right?

Oh, I forgot to tell you, I decided to toss some of the stuff I planned to use till December. Some of it I really hated, some of it I decided it's old enough not to insist. The really weird thing is, I took the plunge to trash those items after watching a vanity organization video. It made me sick to the stomach to see how much that lady had (much more than I do) and that she wasn't using most of it, just collecting the stuff. In past days, that video would put me in a mad mood for shopping! Maybe I am finally growing up? Better late than never, right? :lol:

• Like 6

I went through some of my "old" makeup, which is saying something considering the majority of my collection is from this year. But I had some stuff that I tried and didn't like, but kept around for no good reason, and I threw it away. It was only a few items, but it felt good. And I have decided that part of my no buy will be trying all the eyeshadow I have that I haven't used yet. And I used one today already! Soon I won't have anything that I haven't used at least once!

Edited by Kelly Silva
  • Like 5

Gearing up for August...my plan.

BUY NOTHING! 

There...

I will be getting the subs I have already paid for (BB x 3, PopSugar, LMDB). I'm canceling From the Lab. I reserve the right to get a Julep box only if I don't have dupes of the colors they bring out and I have to absolutely love the box. 

Other than that, I am well stocked on hair and skin care and should not need a thing.

I really want to be strong and prove to myself that I can do it!

Plus, I'll be getting a swap present...that should hold me over for the month! 

• Like 1

Welp, I have been very very bad in July, between Sephora (new Fresh balm color! Tiny lipglosses!) and the Tarte sale. So no-buy until at least Sep....only thing I will allow is if Ulta does 10x points at the end of August again, and IF by that time I have decided Smashbox primer is worth the price for me, I can buy that then. I'll cancel ipsy as soon as this month's bag ships, let myself keep Birchbox for now, and that's it. No need to worry about running out of ANYTHING so I don't need to make allowances for that.

I need to learn to ignore GWPs and sales. Need to play with what I have. The only good thing this month was that I resisted the urge to buy eyeshadow. But I think that was the ONLY thing I resisted the urge to buy!

Welp, I have been very very bad in July, between Sephora (new Fresh balm color! Tiny lipglosses!) and the Tarte sale. So no-buy until at least Sep....only thing I will allow is if Ulta does 10x points at the end of August again, and IF by that time I have decided Smashbox primer is worth the price for me, I can buy that then. I'll cancel ipsy as soon as this month's bag ships, let myself keep Birchbox for now, and that's it. No need to worry about running out of ANYTHING so I don't need to make allowances for that.

I need to learn to ignore GWPs and sales. Need to play with what I have. The only good thing this month was that I resisted the urge to buy eyeshadow. But I think that was the ONLY thing I resisted the urge to buy!

are you already a fan of the Smashbox primer or do you still need to try it out? if you put out an ISO on the swap thread, i'm sure you can find yourself with a ton of smashbox primers very easily (I offered people the cost of a stamp instead of actually trading). I used to be very devoted to the Smashbox primer too! but then i got lazy and dont really wear primer since i only wear tinted moisturizer.

Have you tried using Monistat Anti-Chaffing gel as a primer? its basically a dupe for Smashbox , pretty similar ingredients. When I DO need to use primer, I use that instead. Its like, $7-8 a tube and will last you forever. It also works really well for its intended purpose of not suffering from chaffing ;)

• Like 1

I just tossed 10 items (7 powder blushes and 3 eyeshadows) from my stash that were 3-8 years old. I have another 6 eyeshadows and 4 lipsticks in a "Goodbyes" bin that will expire in the next 6 months so I need to get started testing those out to see if I need to repurchase any of them or move on to something else.

Hopefully this makeup wakeup call will remind me to buy less this month and also reach for things more. I'm going to keep track of when everything was made and toss powder products after 3 years, lipsticks after 2, and lipglosses after 1. I know some people keep theirs longer and it's great if that works for them, but I'd really rather not wait for things to go bad before I toss them. It takes me forever to use makeup up so I'd never get through it all anyway. I really don't want a big "collection" - I want a small stash of products I use regularly and get close to finishing before they expire.. so I need to smarten up and start acting like it!

I'm going to try my best to stick to my 5 products or less goal this month! Today was such great motivation for that!

• Like 1

After yesterday's whoops in the form of a Tarte order,  I was looking at my stuff this morning to decide if there is anything else I may need to replace.  I determined that I would probably need to add a serum before the end of August.  I have been using glossybox goodies since May.  If glossy doesn't help me out again, I may need to purchase something.  So, I am going to focus on buying an Estee lauder product (when the time comes) and not poke around where I may find other things I will want to get.

I tossed a Napoleon Primer yesterday that did zero for me.  It was nice to be able to reach for something I had in my spares.  Its a Rimmel product which appears to be so much better than the expensive primer.

I have been using up foils which I have decided I do not enjoy.  The one use, difficult to open packages with mystery contents send me over the edge.  It either squirts all over the place, globs over the sides, etc.   I think I will stop including these tormenters from future orders. 

I decided to order my replacements today (because I have drugstore.com dollars that expire today): I got the Olay Daily Regenerating Serum, mouthwash, Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo (to wash my makeup brushes with... I've been washing them with handsoap), body wash, and conditioner. Total is $35 to get to free shipping; and none of these are things I hoard, so we're good :) (I was tempted to get a gel or liquid eyeliner because I don't have any and want to try one, but decided to wait until it's cooler and less likely to smear anyways).

Currently struggling with nail polish, though :scared:  (there's a good deal and my nail polish rack isn't full yet <-- enabler logic)

Edited by chibimorph

blaaaaah. i already packed up my bathroom/make up stuff and getting by "travel style" until we actually move. i kinda want to reassess my make up stash and unpack some things. I only have 1 milk crate worth of things but I feel like I should reduce even more. I have a basket of nail polish but I bought the Sephora Formula X 22 set last month. I feel like getting rid of my basket of polish (except for Looks Like Rain, Dear - my HG all glitter polish) and just keeping the 22. I also feel like getting rid of the random wet n wild lipsticks that are pretty but i never wear. I hope I'm making the right move. 

"Travel Style" so I've had enough clothes to fit into a carry on and just 1 make up bag. I guess this is what it feels like to be in the Monday Club, right? I've found products that make for an awesome daily look and the only major difference is my shade of lipstick! 

• Like 1

are you already a fan of the Smashbox primer or do you still need to try it out? if you put out an ISO on the swap thread, i'm sure you can find yourself with a ton of smashbox primers very easily (I offered people the cost of a stamp instead of actually trading). I used to be very devoted to the Smashbox primer too! but then i got lazy and dont really wear primer since i only wear tinted moisturizer.

Have you tried using Monistat Anti-Chaffing gel as a primer? its basically a dupe for Smashbox , pretty similar ingredients. When I DO need to use primer, I use that instead. Its like, $7-8 a tube and will last you forever. It also works really well for its intended purpose of not suffering from chaffing ;)

I have a couple good size samples of the smashbox and some other primer samples, so this month I'm going to be testing them all out to see if it really is as awesome as some say.

I had heard that about the anti-chafing gel, so I may try that if I really like the smashbox. I just know that if they do 10x points I'm going to really want to buy SOMETHING, so I'm trying to at least plan for something I don't already have too much of

I resisted the Tarte sale! And my package of Summerswap goodies should keep me entertained well into next month!

• Like 6

My thoughts copy/pasted from the July thread:

• Keeping track of my purchases over the last several months has shown that I spend over $400/month on beauty/clothes/etc fun stuff online. 
  • All of my purchases are REALLY good deals. This is good for obvious reasons, and bad because it reinforces the feeling of accomplishment that comes with spending.
  • It appears that I can find a too-good-to-pass-up deal every month (birchbox subscription, kate spade bag last month, etc). I need to assume that this will be true forever - if I'm looking for a deal, there will be one. I do not need to purchase anything now. I probably don't need to purchase anything for a few months.
  • I want to start paying down student loans. They hang over me like bricks. Really expensive useless bricks.

I haven't laid down specific rules very well (or at all?) this year, and it's time to start. I do not want to set myself up for failure. Considering I've been consistently spending over $400 a month, I think $300 is a reasonable, non-negotiable max for August. There is no reason I can't make that.

Especially considering the things I've prepaid for (Julep, Memebox, Birchbox, BeautyDNA)

• Like 2

I resisted the Tarte sale! And my package of Summerswap goodies should keep me entertained well into next month!

Good job! I created a huge cart, looked up reviews/swatches, and ended up deleting everything but one product. Add shipping, and it's not really even a sale. PASS!

• Like 2

Hola, ladies.

I'm feeling better today. Stress is still there but at least it's not like it's been...Not wanting to cry from stress like yesterday. I still don't regret my $2 spent on getting 5 blushes. Lord knows I need blush like a need a toothache, but I do love them and sleek has been on my wishlist for a while. Still continuing with my project pan (going strong!), and so that's encouragement. August is really meant to be a no-buy (does my $2 count since it was technically july 30th? xD), especially because CCO will be opening close to home and I am officially off the "no buy" come september 31st, so right now, this is starting to be close to my finish line and I honestly think I can make it through the next two months.

Which is insane when you think about it because I started becoming active in the no buy forum (and MUT in general) back in October...3 months and I'll have spent a year here! and by here I mean specifically in this forum. I have made like 3 posts outside of the no buy forum, I think, and I've made over 700 posts. Can I just say I love you guys? <3

So anyways, a friend told me to do something smart for keeping me interested and motivated on a no-buy and a project pan...to start putting stickers on my makeup telling me the day I acquired the item. That way I'll remember what needs to be used up ASAP. 

• Like 7