Birchbox Soho

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since their new brick-and-mortar store opened, I haven't read much about it from bloggers (mostly only from news outlets). So if any of you get the chance to shop there, build your own box, or receive makeup/hair/nail service, share your experience here! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Update: They also offer free makeup classes for subscribers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't yet, but I plan to go in the next week.  I work nearby.  If it's as great as it looks, I'm going to start making my own sample boxes there and forgetting the whole "surprise me" subscription thing!  Will report back.

I was there last week. The store looks really nice. It's a great opportunity to try/swatch/smell products you were eyeing online. Also, you get points on store and can redeem your points at the store (services are not eligible for the points though). However, build your own box is not exactly what I hoped for. You have to pick one sample in each category. There are 3-5 samples presented in each category. I really hoped there would be more of a selection. I did get the box anyway, but I can't say I'm ecstatic about it. Hopefully they will expand the selection in future. One a plus side, all samples are deluxe (no foil packets) and the staff is very nice and helpful. 

As a side note, I was told that my BYOB purchase is eligible for point, but it's been over a week, and I don't see it on my account yet. I guess I have to contact their customer service about that... 

However, build your own box is not exactly what I hoped for. You have to pick one sample in each category. There are 3-5 samples presented in each category. I really hoped there would be more of a selection.
Yes! I'm not really into fragrance so I was kind of upset that they made that into a separate category while grouping body and nails into one category. But regardless, I still think BYOB is a pretty cool concept. Do you get to review your samples for points? I'm guessing probably not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I went today at lunch.  My review:

THE GOOD: 

1.  The selection of products is curated, in that it's limited to the "Birchbox World" of brands and items.  In some ways, I appreciate that over the mass quantities at Sephora - it's less overwhelming.  And for Birchbox subscribers like me, I like the fact that I can walk in and try everything that Birchbox touts on its site and hands out via samples.  (For example, I'll no longer be begging to trade for that Balm How About Them Apples blush sampler, now that I was able to actually see the colors - yuck!  But on the other hand, that Stila lip pencil is awesome.)

2.  Well-lit; hallelujah!  And they have everything you need to sample - tissues, makeup remover, big mirrors.

3.  No sales people following you around and bugging you - the store was nearly empty when I was there, but after a friendly hello from the woman running the cash register, I was left alone.

4.  I did not visit the salon downstairs, but I like the idea of that being an option.

THE BAD:

1.  The Build-A-Box was very disappointing.  You get 5 samples, *but* you have to choose 1 item in each of 5 categories (which I think were Makeup, Hair, Face, Fragrance, Nails).  I thought I was going to be able to cancel my subscription and avoid getting all those face creams I don't want by tripling up on makeup instead; but no.  Moreover, in each category, they do *not* have a full range of this month's items to choose from; for example, you could choose the ColorClub nail polish for your Nail category option, but you had no choice of color - the only option is a god-awful shocking pink.  They need to fix this, stat.

THE VERDICT:  Without a viable Build-A-Box option, it's hard to justify coming here often.  I'll probably come every few months to see new stuff, but I was hoping that this would be some place I could come every 2-3 weeks and get new samples.  I would absolutely pay $15 (or even $20-25) for a decent box that I can truly build myself.

I was there last week. The store looks really nice. It's a great opportunity to try/swatch/smell products you were eyeing online. Also, you get points on store and can redeem your points at the store (services are not eligible for the points though). However, build your own box is not exactly what I hoped for. You have to pick one sample in each category. There are 3-5 samples presented in each category. I really hoped there would be more of a selection. I did get the box anyway, but I can't say I'm ecstatic about it. Hopefully they will expand the selection in future. One a plus side, all samples are deluxe (no foil packets) and the staff is very nice and helpful. 

As a side note, I was told that my BYOB purchase is eligible for point, but it's been over a week, and I don't see it on my account yet. I guess I have to contact their customer service about that... 
I went last week as well.  Have similar thoughts (but was fine with the build a box).  Found some of the non makeup/beauty items were nice to see in person.  Hope they expand those a little more. 

Yes! I'm not really into fragrance so I was kind of upset that they made that into a separate category while grouping body and nails into one category. But regardless, I still think BYOB is a pretty cool concept. Do you get to review your samples for points? I'm guessing probably not?
No points for reviewing the BYOB items. That would be a game changer.

Yes! I'm not really into fragrance so I was kind of upset that they made that into a separate category while grouping body and nails into one category. But regardless, I still think BYOB is a pretty cool concept.
That's what I though too about the fragrance. One a plus side they let you smell the available fragrances before you decide. Out of three fragrance samples they had, I previously received one, and one was just totally not my thing. So it wasn't much of a choice. And "nails" part of Nails & Body category was represented by a single pink Color Club polish (I was really hoping for some Ruffian, lol). I like the concept too, I'm just hoping the execution will get better.

I went last week as well.  Have similar thoughts (but was fine with the build a box).  Found some of the non makeup/beauty items were nice to see in person.  Hope they expand those a little more. 
I'm find with build I box. I really like the concept. It just was more limited than I expected. 

No points for reviewing the BYOB items. That would be a game changer.
That's shame  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i visited this weekend while i was in nyc. i got my hair and nails done. they do a great job with nail art! it was also nice to try the beach waver.  everyone there was incredibly nice. i think they let you use promo codes too. I would definitely go back for the services! 

I wish i knew about the make up classes. 

I was disappointed with the byob too. I was expecting something like their pop-up shop, with the large variety and generous sample sizes. that is not the case here, which i understand since they actually want to make money off of it. But i didn't like that i had  tried almost  every sample that was an option, already. I mean i've been a subscriber for 2.5 years but i still think they could use more new samples and not just the july samples, you know? 

maybe I'm asking too much! 

I went a few days ago and really enjoyed my experience. I had my hair done in a goddess braid, and the stylist was so sweet! They weren't allowed to accept tips though, which was a bummer because I really appreciated the time she took with me. My appointment was at 5:45 and, surprisingly, the place wasn't too busy. The space is much larger than I was expecting. (And HUGE compared to the pop-up shop they had in Chelsea Market!) I didn't check out the BYOB section but I'll definitely be back again soon! (And I'll snap better pictures of everything!!) 

photo1.png

I went a few days ago and really enjoyed my experience. I had my hair done in a goddess braid, and the stylist was so sweet! They weren't allowed to accept tips though, which was a bummer because I really appreciated the time she took with me. My appointment was at 5:45 and, surprisingly, the place wasn't too busy. The space is much larger than I was expecting. (And HUGE compared to the pop-up shop they had in Chelsea Market!) I didn't check out the BYOB section but I'll definitely be back again soon! (And I'll snap better pictures of everything!!) 
Lovely. How much did the stylist cost?

I considered going during my lunch hour yesterday -- I grabbed lunch at a nearby Greek place... but I had no desire! I really love online shopping and would rather just wait for a 20% discount.  I guess if I really needed to see some color swatches, it would be helpful.  I'd be interested to get my brows done there, but I also love the nearby Benefit brow bar!

I wish I lived close enough to visit the store so I just watched the BB video tour of the store on their YouTube channel.

When they make a sample box they choose two skin care items, two haircare items and one makeup item, so if you visit, I would try to get what you want. Maybe you don't 'have' to take one from each category. Perhaps they are just encouraging walk-ins to try more.

Someone in NYC, try it out and let us know!

I wish I lived close enough to visit the store so I just watched the BB video tour of the store on their YouTube channel.

When they make a sample box they choose two skin care items, two haircare items and one makeup item, so if you visit, I would try to get what you want. Maybe you don't 'have' to take one from each category. Perhaps they are just encouraging walk-ins to try more.

Someone in NYC, try it out and let us know!
I've done it. They told me it could ONLY be one per category. 

That's a shame. And odd they would show that example on the official tour even if they were making a box for the winner of the contest.

I've done it. They told me it could ONLY be one per category. 
I second that. They allow only one sample in each category.

That's a shame. And odd they would show that example on the official tour even if they were making a box for the winner of the contest.
It is odd and a bit deceptive. I think I know which video you are talking about and it looked like contest winner just picked 5 samples from the list, skipping Nails and Body and Fragrance categories entirely... In any case, that's not how it works 

Latest posts

Back