Need Help w/ Brushes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm ready to order the Naked 2 Palette and I know people through Tutorials that I watched they used different types of brushes. I admit I'm a beginner to all of this and I only use one color on both of my eyes and I never tried to blend colors together or anything. Anytime I watch people apply make-up on I feel like I'm putting the make-up on wrong the entire time and I feel like a fool knowing that. When I purchase this Palette what type of brushes should I buy for my eyes and how do I use these different types of brushes. Again I'm new to all of this, so please be patient with me. I just want to make sure I do this right this time, haha! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Now that you’re a beginner to all of this I don’t know how much you’re willing to pay for your brushes, but I’ll write down the name of some brush types which I personally think are essential to have. You can get cheaper and just as good brushes though, my suggestions are mainly there for you to find something alike and get a picture of what the brush looks like. I think it’s a great idea for you to order the Naked 2 palette btw; gorgeous shades which fit one another beautifully.  It sounds like you’re basically looking for eye shadow brushes, but if you’d like more brush recommendations for the rest of the face, let me know.

- A shader brush for applying eye shadows. Add a bit of water or fix+ to the brush for a more intense eye shadow color (fx. MAC’s 242 Shader Brush)
- A blending brush to blend the shades together or fade them out. (I like MAC's 224 Tapered Blending Brush.)
- An angle brush for applying eyeliner or filling in your brows (I like MAC’s 208 Angled Brow Brush.)    

Last edited by a moderator:
You could definitely use that brush set as well. Too Faced has actually informed us about the purpose of each of those brushes; if you google them it's written at the brushes like contour, powder, blender and so on. The best way to learn is by doing. Try some makeup tutorials like this one. She uses the Naked 2 palette and you can see which brushes she uses when: www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoIavv2QWDg
Hope it helped you out more :) 

Hi Pinksunsets, 

Welcome to the beauty world, are you ready for a new huge addiction?  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have all of the Naked Palettes, and I use the following brushes when I work with them:

• MAC 213 - it's a fluff brush, and you use it to put an eyeshadow all over the lid. I also use it to put a darker shade at the outer third of my eye.
  • Sigma E25 is a great blending brush, I use it with the shade "Tease" which is a transition color shadow, and blend it into my crease. 
  • Sigma E30, which is a pencil brash, I would take a little bit of "Bootycall" shade, and dot it in my eye's inner corner.
I also love the Real Techniques Shadow brush (from their eye brushes kit), and I actually use it to do all of the steps mentioned above :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use the brush that came with the Naked 2 palette and I really like that one compared to some of the cheaper brushes I have.  I don't have anything fancier than the one that comes with Naked 2, honestly.  Haven't had much money to spend on brushes.  I do want a brush set from Sigma, however, and I plan on getting one soon!  I hear fantastic things about Sigma brushes.

I'll also say that I don't always use brushes for their intended purposes! Everyone develops their own techniques as they learn, and part of that is experimenting with different brushes, for me!

Like, I might use a certain concealer brush to do some eyeshadow detailing or apply highlighter to my inner corners, and I have a contour brush that I've found that I really like to use to highlight my browbone and do a bit of blending there.

The best way to learn is just to sit down with your makeup and your brushes, watch a few tutorials, but DON'T feel limited by those tutorials...use them as inspiration, and just play with your makeup. Try applying things different ways, just to see what it looks like. If it looks horrible, wipe it off, and try something else. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'll also say that I don't always use brushes for their intended purposes! Everyone develops their own techniques as they learn, and part of that is experimenting with different brushes, for me!

Like, I might use a certain concealer brush to do some eyeshadow detailing or apply highlighter to my inner corners, and I have a contour brush that I've found that I really like to use to highlight my browbone and do a bit of blending there.

The best way to learn is just to sit down with your makeup and your brushes, watch a few tutorials, but DON'T feel limited by those tutorials...use them as inspiration, and just play with your makeup. Try applying things different ways, just to see what it looks like. If it looks horrible, wipe it off, and try something else. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I agree with all of that especially the 'just play with your makeup' bit.  

I would also suggest that if you don't have a lot of money to spend or aren't used to the different brushes to buy a small travel set like from Sonia Kashuk or ELF.   There are some gems in the Sonia Kashuk line from Target - I especially love her duofiber brushes and use them often.  ELF brushes are cheap but there are a few gems there too.  I love the concealer brush and use it for a lot of different things; eyeliner, eyeshadow placement, tightlight, cleaning up my nail polish (and I have a bunch of them for each type of use since they're only $1!).   And if you have a Cosmetics Company Outlet (CCO found in outlet shopping centers) to check them out because a lot of them will have old MAC brush sets for around $30-$35 (normally retails for $50 the last time I bought one, price may have gone up by now).  MAC travel brushes aren't as good as their fullsized versions but it's a good way to try them out at home if you don't want to spend the money on the fullsized yet.  They usually have different sets; 1 for face (4 brushes), 1 for just eyes (they have had different versions of this in the past with different brushes but there were always 5 brushes in this set), 1 for an overall look (5 brushes), and sometimes 1 with just duofiber brushes (4-5 brushes).  If you're interested and the CCO is far away I'd suggest calling them up first and asking if they have any in stock.  The whole point of my little ramble is to get a set and play with them to see what you like and what you think you'll use.  And once you've found brush sizes/styles/shapes that you like, save up for the higher quality ones which can run anywhere from $15 to hundreds depending on what you buy.

RE brush brands: Sonia Kashuk, EcoTools, and Real Techniques are all really great brushes for really reasonable prices. I wouldn't shell out money for MAC brushes again. I lost my whole brush collection a few years ago while traveling, and they were mostly MAC ones I had gotten as a gift. I couldn't afford to replace them, so I just made myself a mishmash of cheaper ones...and I don't even miss the more expensive ones now.

I mostly use my Real Techniques ones on a daily basis. Especially as a beginner, you don't need super expensive brushes, you just need something decent enough to practice with. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use EcoTools brushes for eye make up. They are very reasonably priced and get the job done. 

@@PinkSunsets218 I wrote an article some time ago which is a guide to brushes. Maybe that will help you understand what brushes you need. 

For the eyes you definitely need a blending brush, a flat brush to apply the color with, a smaller flat brush, a pencil brush and an eyeliner brush. 

Here's a good tip by the way on how to find affordable makeup brushes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I hope this helps

Back