Best High End Counter for Makeover?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenTX

Skincare Addict
Reaction score
I have a cousin getting married soon so my mom and I are going to make a fun little beauty day of it in the morning. We are going to go get blowouts and then make appointments to get makeovers at Neimans.

At first I said I would do Bobbi Brown but then figured, it's Neimans so I should set my sights higher. :) I figure YSL or Dior are both good options since I regularly use some of their products and can always buy some of those from the counters (since I typically try to spend around $100 or more on product when I get a free makeover at a counter). That said, I have never personally used foundation or any major products from these two brands, just things like mascara, lipgloss, eyebrow pencils, etc. so I'm not sure which is better for a full on face.

I'm open to other brands too but just would like to get some opinions on which are the best and why.

Thanks in advance!!

Ooohhh. Love this. At first I thought Bobbi Brown too but hey, go for the gold! Is $100 their minimum spend for a makeover? I think I would choose Dior! You could compare reviews on YSL and Dior and see who is better since you'll want your foundation to be on point for pics, last through a fun night, etc.

Ooohhh. Love this. At first I thought Bobbi Brown too but hey, go for the gold! Is $100 their minimum spend for a makeover? I think I would choose Dior! You could compare reviews on YSL and Dior and see who is better since you'll want your foundation to be on point for pics, last through a fun night, etc.
Thanks for replying @! I had no idea where to put this thread so I wasn't sure if anyone would see it.

I'm warm ivory in Bobbi Brown foundation so I have no idea what I would be in Dior or YSL.

I love Dior's eyebrow pencil. I use it daily and go through about one per month (yes, that means I'm spending like $350 a year just on eye brow pencils... Eek!) so I figured I could stock up on a few of those easily. I also can always buy YSL glossy stains (I have several already but just love them and can always have more colors) and I love YSL Babydoll mascara.

I don't think $100 is a stated minimum but I just try for that as a courtesy. I know Bloomingdales (at least at Bobbi Brown) states they require a $50 purchase. I've never had Neimans or Nordstrom or Macys tell me a minimum, it's just what I figure is the right thing to do and they usually do expect some sort of purchase even if they don't outright say it. Even if you can't do $100 I always say buy the lipstick they use on you and one other item. I figure if I'm doing YSL or Dior (or any other high end brand...haven't really tried anything from Chanel before so that's also a fun option) I better spend a little more than that though :)

@@JenTX how about ArmaniI Maestro. It comes with an eye dropper, not a pump, and you are meant to apply Maestro to your face with your fingertips like you would a serum. It’s a very thin formula that uses white lotus extract but no water, and somehow provides adaptive, light coverage. Maestro comes in 12 shades and has the active ingredient octinoxate 3% for SPF 15 protection. The pricing is in line with the rest of the Armani foundation line at $62.

I do like YSL Touche Éclat foundation very much. It applies smoothly and evenly (with a foundation brush), and it wears well throughout the day.

Dior Diorskin Nude has the thickest consistency.I loved the shine-free look of my complexion so much that I found myself using this as my foundation of choice when I was prepping for gala events a few weeks ago. However, I don’t find that it wears well for a long period of time. At the end of wearing it all day, the finish wasn’t as smooth, and the foundation looked like it was beginning to sit more on the surface of my skin.

If I had the money, I would wear Armani Maestro on the days that I wanted to do a low-maintenance, dressed-down look with some groomed eyebrows, mascara and lip balm. For my fancy nights, I’d use the Diorskin Nude for a fuller-coverage, but still luminous finish, with a full-on smoky eye or intense lips. And then for my usual work day, I’d go with the the YSL Touche Éclat.

@@JenTX how about ArmaniI Maestro. It comes with an eye dropper, not a pump, and you are meant to apply Maestro to your face with your fingertips like you would a serum. It’s a very thin formula that uses white lotus extract but no water, and somehow provides adaptive, light coverage. Maestro comes in 12 shades and has the active ingredient octinoxate 3% for SPF 15 protection. The pricing is in line with the rest of the Armani foundation line at $62.

I do like YSL Touche Éclat foundation very much. It applies smoothly and evenly (with a foundation brush), and it wears well throughout the day.

Dior Diorskin Nude has the thickest consistency.I loved the shine-free look of my complexion so much that I found myself using this as my foundation of choice when I was prepping for gala events a few weeks ago. However, I don’t find that it wears well for a long period of time. At the end of wearing it all day, the finish wasn’t as smooth, and the foundation looked like it was beginning to sit more on the surface of my skin.

If I had the money, I would wear Armani Maestro on the days that I wanted to do a low-maintenance, dressed-down look with some groomed eyebrows, mascara and lip balm. For my fancy nights, I’d use the Diorskin Nude for a fuller-coverage, but still luminous finish, with a full-on smoky eye or intense lips. And then for my usual work day, I’d go with the the YSL Touche Éclat.
Armani is definitely another option. Dior actually has several foundations not just the Diorskin Nude. So e of them have REALLy good reviews (others not so good). Have you tried the other Dior's?

@@JenTX Make sure you make an appointment!!  Also, some places won't do an "event" makeover.  They will "politely" ask you to hire one of their MUAs for an exorbitant amount of money.  I've had this happen at two counters at Neimans (for my bachelorette dinner)  so be careful at how your word your reason for the makeover.   I don't know who I would go with though.

FWIW, I have found that a lot of the ladies doing a makeover will accept tips (not at Neimans though) - they will then proceed to fill your bag with samples upon samples on top of your regular "required" purchase!   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  That's been my experience anyway.  I left one counter, once, with enough samples to do a full "makeover" face for 3 weeks - daily! Even the offer of a tip if they refuse is sometimes enough to make them heavy handed with the samples!!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)

Whomever you choose, have fun!!!!   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
Foundation meant to be applied with your fingertips?!?!?!? MUST. HAVE. NOW!!!!!

@@JenTX Make sure you make an appointment!!  Also, some places won't do an "event" makeover.  They will "politely" ask you to hire one of their MUAs for an exorbitant amount of money.  I've had this happen at two counters at Neimans (for my bachelorette dinner)  so be careful at how your word your reason for the makeover.   I don't know who I would go with though.

FWIW, I have found that a lot of the ladies doing a makeover will accept tips (not at Neimans though) - they will then proceed to fill your bag with samples upon samples on top of your regular "required" purchase!   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  That's been my experience anyway.  I left one counter, once, with enough samples to do a full "makeover" face for 3 weeks - daily! Even the offer of a tip if they refuse is sometimes enough to make them heavy handed with the samples!!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> :)

Whomever you choose, have fun!!!!   :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Yep I always make an appointment far in advance. That's why I need to decide now even if I have a while.

I've never heard of Neimans or any other high end department store caring if your doing the makeover for an event (I even had my makeup done for the Grammys at Nordstrom and they were thrilled to do me up for a red carpet event ). At the end of the day, if you are going to buy a decent amount of the products they use on you, they are happy. Plus, I find it's a great way to learn about new products which just means I spend even more with them in the future.

I'm quite sure that person who asked you for your Bachelorette party would be fired if the store knew. They were basically soliciting outside business to you while they are working in their role at Neimans which is completely unethical.

Also, I do not believe you are supposed to tip women who work at beauty counters. I have never heard of that. They just want you to buy stuff which counts against their commission (or if they are non-commission, they still have sales goals ).

I'd go with Armani - but I know that they usually need booking in advance (at least where I live).  I've also done it at Shu uerma - but that did have a minimum spend - I think it was $100 but I was really happy to do that as I had items I wanted to buy anyway (love their eye brow pencils etc).

But I do really like the Dior spray foundation...I can make my daughters skin look flawless super quickly for special events with it.  I lightly mist her and then lightly buff - makes her look amazing...but its so expensive and so messy that for me its just not an every day foundation!

I'd go with Armani - but I know that they usually need booking in advance (at least where I live).  I've also done it at Shu uerma - but that did have a minimum spend - I think it was $100 but I was really happy to do that as I had items I wanted to buy anyway (love their eye brow pencils etc).
I would go for Armani  or dior.  My first pick would be armani
Lots of votes for Armani!! Thank you both for getting back to me. I don't think there is a Shu Umera counter in Neimans (wish they had Hourglass too). Question on Armani - I know people seem to love love love their foundation. How are the rest of their products? I've never heard anyone really talk about their other products. I will probably not buy foundation and will probably buy all the other stuff, so I'm curious how they rank on the other products like lippies, shadows, mascara, blush, liners, etc. (even Skincare)

lippies are my FAVs for special events...they are my go too when I need drama...but I don't own many colours!  I just ordered another recently but I haven't had a chance to try it!  I love their older palettes but haven't been thrilled with the colour combo of their newer ones so I haven't bought any for a while.  But their stuff for a smoky eye is great.  Colour payoff is fab and they last well.  I haven't tried their blush ever but I did really like the primers I tried as well.

But I think my favorite products from them are their foundations & primers.  Followed by lipstick and eyeshadow.  I haven't tried blush or mascara at all though.  

I have an older palette that also came with a highlighter - and is excellent to use.  I can't use theBalm as its too sparkly on me - this was less obvious so more usable for me!  

I don't know anything about Armani, but my favorite eyeshadow comes from Chanel.  I really like their gel/powder formula, and it doesn't dry out too fast, which is important for me since I save it as a special occasion eyeshadow.

Looks like the suggestions are narrowing down...

I am adding Shu Uemura, Guerlain, Chanel, and Burberry counters, I am also agreeing with Armani and YSL counters. 

Also, I do not believe you are supposed to tip women who work at beauty counters. I have never heard of that. They just want you to buy stuff which counts against their commission (or if they are non-commission, they still have sales goals ).
That's what I've always thought.  They earn commission on what you purchase from them.  The commission IS their tip.

That's what I've always thought.  They earn commission on what you purchase from them.  The commission IS their tip.
True there is no written rule on tipping beauty advisers. Years ago when I worked at Lancome, I got tipped a few times doing makeovers, (not for the sales). Tipping is optional, but it's not expected.

And yes, commissions are considered a tip.

Looks like the suggestions are narrowing down...

I am adding Shu Uemura, Guerlain, Chanel, and Burberry counters, I am also agreeing with Armani and YSL counters.

I don't know anything about Armani, but my favorite eyeshadow comes from Chanel.  I really like their gel/powder formula, and it doesn't dry out too fast, which is important for me since I save it as a special occasion eyeshadow.

lippies are my FAVs for special events...they are my go too when I need drama...but I don't own many colours!  I just ordered another recently but I haven't had a chance to try it!  I love their older palettes but haven't been thrilled with the colour combo of their newer ones so I haven't bought any for a while.  But their stuff for a smoky eye is great.  Colour payoff is fab and they last well.  I haven't tried their blush ever but I did really like the primers I tried as well.

But I think my favorite products from them are their foundations & primers.  Followed by lipstick and eyeshadow.  I haven't tried blush or mascara at all though.  

I have an older palette that also came with a highlighter - and is excellent to use.  I can't use theBalm as its too sparkly on me - this was less obvious so more usable for me!

Armani Eyes to Kill Mascara is my HG.  Their eyeliner is pretty good too.
You guys are seriously starting to sell me on Armani!! I will tell my mom to check to make sure her Neimans has an Armani counter. What would be the second choice?

Latest posts

Back