Would you recommend buying a stipple brush?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I'm wondering whether it's worth investing into a stipple/stippling brush. I've been debating for the past year because I've seen so many pros use it yet I've never really felt that I had to use one.

I saw a youtube video tutorial using a stipple brush which was pretty awesome that got me started.

I've always just stuck with good quality sponges when applying BB creams or foundation and now I wonder if I'm missing out. 

For those who do use a stipple brush, is it worth investing into a good, expensive one? How often do you use it? How does the application of foundation or BB cream differ when compared to a sponge?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I'm wondering whether it's worth investing into a stipple/stippling brush. I've been debating for the past year because I've seen so many pros use it yet I've never really felt that I had to use one.

I saw a youtube video tutorial using a stipple brush which was pretty awesome that got me started.

I've always just stuck with good quality sponges when applying BB creams or foundation and now I wonder if I'm missing out. 

For those who do use a stipple brush, is it worth investing into a good, expensive one? How often do you use it? How does the application of foundation or BB cream differ when compared to a sponge?

Thanks!
>sigh<

I know it's not your fault... Just incorrect information floating around out there...

Stippling is a verb, not a brush (noun). That's like saying should I purchase a patting or sweeping brush.

All brushes can be used for stippling.

The correct term is a fibre optic or duo fibre brush. Not to be confused with mixed fibre / bristle brushes.

Ok. To answer your question...

I say yes to having a couple of sizes of those brushes in your brush belt.

If you're planning on using it for foundations, they work best with liquid foundations, and even BB (Beauty Balm), and CC (Colour Correct), and DD (Daily Defense) cremes. Foundation textures such as cremes, mousses, and whipped not so much. That's when you want to use a proper foundation brush, as it works with ALL foundation textures.

Fibre optic brushes were originally intended for use with powder highlighters and illuminators, so they work best with these types of products. I wouldn't recommend it for blushes (for all kinds of reasons)... That's what a blush brush is for.

To your other questions...

- I say invest in good, quality brushes, as the cheap versions of the fibre optic brushes will shed like crazy.

- You can use it as much as you want to. I highly recommend that you clean it after each and every use (because of it's non intended purpose), due to bacteria build up, (from how the bristles are laid out). The shape will be better, (splayed), you will also get a better finish as the bristles won't spike together.

Since fibre optic brushes are synthetic, clean them with a brush cleaner either from Cinema Secrets, Ben Nye, Parian Spirit, Kryolan, RCMA. That way the white tips will always be white and not beige / yellow over time, and the brush will be dry within seconds. With other cleaners the drying time is a couple of hours or sometimes longer.

- The finish is better than using a sponge. Using sponges (wedgies), for foundations is pretty much obsolete now. They're great for old age stippling, but even that old-school technique is slowly being phased out to prosthetics. I use wedgies for applying moisturizers to my actors / models. 

- The finish is comparable to the Beauty Blender. But the drying time is longer with the Beauty Blender than with a fibre optic brush. (When cleaning). Something to consider.

HTH

I've rediscovered my love for my MAC 187 since I've been using a ton of BB cream and cream blush/highlighter this summer. But darn does that thing shed! Always has, too. :blink:

Like @@vogueboy mentioned, the finish is so beautiful. It was because of this brush that I started wearing liquid foundations again!

I've rediscovered my love for my MAC 187 since I've been using a ton of BB cream and cream blush/highlighter this summer. But darn does that thing shed! Always has, too. :blink:

Like @@vogueboy mentioned, the finish is so beautiful. It was because of this brush that I started wearing liquid foundations again!
Yeah, funny thing with the MAC 187's... They're definitely hit-and-miss in the quality department. I bought one like 5 years ago or so and it shed like crazy too! I bought one about a year ago, and it sheds rarely. 

The first time I was introduced to the fibre optic brush was in 1998 from Lancome, and that brush never shed. But that brush was a one-off and made in France. But a year later when they mass produced them, they shed like crazy and Lancome pulled them for a couple of years. Since then other brands have come out with them. 

So it is hit-and-miss with these types of brushes, whether it's a drug store brand or a high end brand. Go figure. But it's definitely a good brush to have in your kit.

And yes, I forgot about using it with creme blushers.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@vogueboy I think that the confusion in the right term for these brushes is because there are actually "stippling brushes" that are simply named like that - take the Real Techniques Stippling brush for example. They also have a "setting brush" and a "shading brush" - that's how they are named...  Even MAC hold a "blending brush" and an "angled shading brush"... So I think we don't really need to stick to the correct grammar anymore when it comes to brushes names... 

@ for you  I would say- you don't have to have it. If you feel like your makeup application is looking great with your professional sponges, a stippling brush is not a must have. I have the Real Techniques one, and to be honest, I use it only to blend cream blushes, and not very often at all. I used it with liquid foundations, and it's OK, but leaves fiber traces... So that's why I like a good dense kabuki brushes better, such as Sigma F80 or F88. They just do a better job with liquid foundations, and even with cream blushes. 

I also don't think that you have to go crazy for the expensive ones, I can tell you that the Real Techniques Stippling brush dose not shed at all, and it dose not cost much. 

I hope that was helpful  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

@vogueboy I think that the confusion in the right term for these brushes is because there are actually "stippling brushes" that are simply named like that - take the Real Techniques Stippling brush for example. They also have a "setting brush" and a "shading brush" - that's how they are named...  Even MAC hold a "blending brush" and an "angled shading brush"... So I think we don't really need to stick to the correct grammar anymore when it comes to brushes names... 

@ for you  I would say- you don't have to have it. If you feel like your makeup application is looking great with your professional sponges, a stippling brush is not a must have. I have the Real Techniques one, and to be honest, I use it only to blend cream blushes, and not very often at all. I used it with liquid foundations, and it's OK, but leaves fiber traces... So that's why I like a good dense kabuki brushes better, such as Sigma F80 or F88. They just do a better job with liquid foundations, and even with cream blushes. 

I also don't think that you have to go crazy for the expensive ones, I can tell you that the Real Techniques Stippling brush dose not shed at all, and it dose not cost much. 

I hope that was helpful  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I suppose it's my fault for working with old-school film and tv MUA's. In make-up school we learned the brushes by their shape... Flat, angle, liner, square, pencil, tapered, paddle, domed, flat lip, taperd lip, etc, and we learned that these brushes could be used for multi purposes like in S F/X, straight, beauty, fashion, street, corrective, and removal of make-ups. True there are certain brushes that have specific uses like powder, blush, concealer, kabuki, foundation etc.

But to place a descriptive label on a brush, suddenly limits it to what you can do with it, (professional brands don't do this). Yes street brands do this as they cater to that one demographic... Which so happens to have the most disposable income, and it is easier to sell something when you know what it does or what it's used for.

No @@Best Beauty Shops I am not saying you're wrong, i am just adding my experience and historical insight into the discussion.

As for a flawless finish using one tool, I always push my assistants to try new brushes and techniques to further their skill sets. And on this forum is no different. I say try a fibre optic or foundation or even a kabuki brush to apply your foundation to see the difference, perhaps people will get a better result or not. Even if they don't, they can find another use for the brush or perhaps they can sell it or give it away, or who knows. There are lots of options. You never know until you try as the saying goes. I think we are in agreement here. As for me saying a fibre brush is a must-have... it is, as this type of brush is quite versatile... When it doesn't shed  <_<

Like I said earlier in my previous post, (para-phrasing), some drug store brand fibre optic brushes are better in quality than high end brands and vice-versa. It's always hit-and-miss with fibre optic brushes in terms of quality no matter what the brand is.

This is a great thread, now that it's leaning towards descriptive labelling. We never talk about stuff like this on set, or even make-up for that matter, it's 5% personal information, 95% union politics. So this is refreshing for me.

Wow, thanks everybody for the insightful comments/replies. Now I think I do want a fibre optic brush after all. (Or perhaps I just want a justification when it comes to buying new brushes...;P)  It's just that when I studied bridal makeup around 5 years ago, it wasn't as popular and I never used the brush in my studies (my teacher always used sponges). Now I feel so old haha. I guess I should really try new things out and learn more. 

@@vogueboy Thank you for your in-depth explanation, it's always good to be enlightened (and I feel educated, too) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I think it's even more confusing because in Asia, that's what the brush is normally called. Probably because it's easier to remember and pronounce.

@@Best Beauty Shops Thank you for your advice! I do have a kabuki brush but I find it takes a while to dry each time I wash it. I usually use it to apply mineral foundation. I have an angled kabuki style brush for blush which I really love :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I've heard mixed reviews for MAC's brushes. I own a few shadow blending brushes but I have heard about the shedding issue for the larger ones. I've just laid my eyes on MUFE's artisan brushes and now I want the whole set. But that's another story...

@vogueboy  I agree with you- when they are labelling a brush in a certain name, it really does limit the customers for thinking the brush is good only for 1 specific use, of course this is a way for the companies to sell more.. Now that I think of it- I like the old style names better :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

And yes, this is a great thread, I've learned from you as well here  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I never used the stipple technique for anything except adding the look of five o'clock shadow to guys. I used a grey filter-type material cut into a rectangle for that. I need to get a couple of these brushes and try something new.

I never used the stipple technique for anything except adding the look of five o'clock shadow to guys. I used a grey filter-type material cut into a rectangle for that. I need to get a couple of these brushes and try something new.
Ahh! The good 'ol black stipple sponge. Yup, used to create five o'clock shadow, scrapes and road rash.

Apparently one of my assistants tells me that material is used for filters in aquariums. 

@ real techniques one is a pretty good stippling brush. I don't like the way it applies foundation though, I think you can have better brushes for that. I do like it to apply a cream blush though, for that it is my go-to brush

as for to invest or not to invest in a good stippling brush. Well I would rather buy a really good powder brush, and invest more in the brushes with natural bristles and must haves. A stippling brush isn't one so that would be a no for me.

Yes, I would recommend you purchase at least one. I own four; one from Sigma, two from Sedona Lace and a Real Techniques. I use the Real Techniques some time for foundation and cream blush. I really like it because its firmer and smaller then the other three. However, I did notice that it doesn't work for all foundations. The other three, I use for really pigmented blush such as my NARS blushes and for a softer highlighter look. 

Back