How to Encourage Readers to Comment?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just restarted my blog after a several month hiatus, so I don't have the readership yet, but I do get an okay # of hits. My problem is that the only comments I get on any post are spam comments. What do you do to encourage your readers to comment on your blog? 

I just restarted my blog after a several month hiatus, so I don't have the readership yet, but I do get an okay # of hits. My problem is that the only comments I get on any post are spam comments. What do you do to encourage your readers to comment on your blog? 
It took a while before people started to comment.  I ask questions like what is your favorite item?  Do you have any special tips for how to apply this?  

I am interested in what my readers have to say, I am lucky, however, if I get one or two comments.  The most I have gotten (outside of a giveaway) was when I wrote 2 scathing reviews - lol

I also make sure to try and respond to each comment.  I don't always succeed, but responding to comments also encourages a dialogue

I always post a question at the end that's related to my post. I'm really bad at commenting on blogs, but I've found that if you visit several times and start leaving comments, lots of times people will follow links to your blog and leave a comment as well. I think they feel obligated. I also joined a blog building group on facebook. That has really helped. It's a regional group, but I wish I could find something similar for beauty bloggers.

Last edited by a moderator:
asking questions or raising controversial subjects usually encourages people to comment. Although the latter sometimes results in less than pleasant comments.

I've made it a goal to comment on two other blogs a day, that helps bring a little bit of traffic to my page and I find that by developing a relationship with other bloggers you get more comments on your page. 

I agree with Vicky.  I always was the silent reader.  Now that I have my own blog I know how much comments mean so I make a point to comment as often as possible on other bloggers pages.  I get traffic from people who saw my comment and also from the blog owner.  It's fun to make relationships like that, too.  Other bloggers are pretty awesome :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back