Lip Primer, worth it to get?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did a quick look and couldn't find a thread about this so figured I'd just ask. I'm 100% on the eyeshadow primer band wagon and I like face primer so I was wondering about lip primer. What's the deal with it, is it worth it, and what brand would you recommend? Or is there something else I should be doing to make my lipstick last a little longer.

I have the Too Faced lip primer, and I find that it helps keep my lipstick in place - it goes on more evenly, and it doesn't slide around when I press my liips together. Some people also say it helps prevent feathering, but I've never experienced feathering even without a primer, so I don't know about that. I haven't tried any other brands, but I do like the Too Faced one.

I honestly love lip primer. I have two different brands of lip primers: Femme Couture, and e.l.f. Cosmetics. Frankly, the Femme Couture ($8) does not work nearly as well as my e.l.f. Cosmetics ($3) primer. Plus, the e.l.f. Lip Primer is a nude-ish color, so when you put your lipstick over it, the color is definitely TRUE color.

But I would say, yes. It's worth it. For me, it keeps my lip color on all day. Even if I eat or drink or anything, the color stays. Don't get me wrong, some of the lipstick or gloss will come off, but it keeps the color intact. It really helps if you blot your lipstick after applying primer and color. That's the best way to keep it on all day. 

Hope I helped! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi there. I have used numerous lip primers throughout the years.

My favourites are MACs prep & prime lip base and the Too Faced lip insurance primer.

I think MAC is the best all round lip primer as i find it smoothes and defines the lip & maintains the finish of your lipstick. If your lipstick is glossy, it will stay glossy. If it is matte, it will stay matte etc.
The too faced lip primer is also amazing! I would deffo use this if i wanted my lipstick to stay on for hours upon hours as I feel it has the longest hold.

I would deffo invest in a lip primer. It helps the colour stay on longer, smoothes everything out, makes sure the colour doesn't 'bleed' etc. They are a must have!

Hope this helps.
- SimariBeauty

I have the lip primer from Cargo and I find it really helps with longevity of lip products. I actually apply a light layer of lip balm under it as well, and let it sink in for a few minutes while I do all my other makeup, then gently blot off excess, and then put on the primer.

Back