Brands you know are good, but you don't buy as the packaging/design puts you off?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lorac, Stila, Lancome, Estee Lauder.

It's not even that anything "puts me off" these brands, per se, but they just don't hold any interest for me.

TheBalm straddles the line between cute kitschy and tacky kitschy, with mixed results. I still buy them, but they get pushed a little lower on my wishlist because of it.

TheBalm straddles the line between cute kitschy and tacky kitschy, with mixed results. I still buy them, but they get pushed a little lower on my wishlist because of it.
I agree on this point completely! Sometimes their product names bother me a little bit too. They seem kind of sexist in some ways, like women just sit around all day dreaming about cute boys. 

Lancôme, Estée Lauder, Bobbi brown, Clinique

Just don't appeal to me really

Anna Sui. The package design across the board doesn't so much put me off, as much as it seems to me to be impractical and difficult to take along anywhere.

Strictly off packaging I would say Cargo, especially the foundations in a bag. Napolean Perdis because I just don't care for the black and shiny gold packaging, and the old Hello Kitty stuff they used to sell at Sephora. It just wasn't my thing. 

I agree on this point completely! Sometimes their product names bother me a little bit too. They seem kind of sexist in some ways, like women just sit around all day dreaming about cute boys. 
Totally! I was just thinking about aesthetics for this thread, but thebalm's packaging is troubling on several levels. They use almost exclusively white people on their packaging. Any company not run by kids should know better, and a San Francisco-based company should really be embarrassed by that oversight.

I have problems with theBalm's packaging and names as well. I'm also not a huge fan of Too Faced's packaging on a lot of things either, though I still buy primers from them. 

Stila. Some of the it cosmetics eye shadow palettes...seem cheap packaging. I do buy red apple lipstick, lipsticks but they are look the same...all black cases and it's hard to find a particular color sometimes!

My favorite packages are Mally..her cases are awesome! Love the metallic bare escentuals ready compacts.

Stila. Some of the it cosmetics eye shadow palettes...seem cheap packaging. I do buy red apple lipstick, lipsticks but they are look the same...all black cases and it's hard to find a particular color sometimes!

My favorite packages are Mally..her cases are awesome! Love the metallic bare escentuals ready compacts.
It drives me crazy that not all of the Stila "In The..." palettes have mirrors. Ditto the Tarte mini blush compacts. Benefit's packaging straddles the cute/obnoxious line for me, and I agree about TheBalm. I like a lot of their products, but paper packaging looks gross long before the product is gone, and their concealer and foundation are packaged in cheap clear plastic jars with useless applicators and no mirrors.

Strictly off packaging I would say Cargo, especially the foundations in a bag. Napolean Perdis because I just don't care for the black and shiny gold packaging, and the old Hello Kitty stuff they used to sell at Sephora. It just wasn't my thing. 
Oh I remember the hello kitty brand stuff. There was also a japanese brand at sephora that got discontinued, Tokidoki, they had some pretty cool stuff. However... these were 2 brands I wouldn't buy because if I'm paying a lot of $$$ for my makeup, I don't want it to look like child stuff.

I would love to try some of the tints benefit has, but I won't because of the awkward nail polish style package. I just feel like it would get annoying and I don't want to be always shaking the bottle to get every drop out. For that price, I want to use every bit and not have it be stuck inside the bottle :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Benefit drives me nuts, between the awkward tint bottles and the cardboard packaging I just can't do it. I'm not paying that much for cardboard.

I adore stila, UD and the Balm, but something about Benefit leaves me cold and I don't really know why. MAC bores me silly, I haven't bought anything from MAC in several years now.

Oh I remember the hello kitty brand stuff. There was also a japanese brand at sephora that got discontinued, Tokidoki, they had some pretty cool stuff. However... these were 2 brands I wouldn't buy because if I'm paying a lot of $$$ for my makeup, I don't want it to look like child stuff.

I would love to try some of the tints benefit has, but I won't because of the awkward nail polish style package. I just feel like it would get annoying and I don't want to be always shaking the bottle to get every drop out. For that price, I want to use every bit and not have it be stuck inside the bottle :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I LOVED the different Tokidoki makeup bags and cases that they released, I have two of them. I think they are super cute. But yeah, cute isn't what I am looking for in my makeup packaging, so I never did buy any of their cosmetics.

Benefit - The packaging seems juvenile, yes it looks retro 40's - 50's fun, but it certainly doesn't say professional when it sits on a make-up station. Most A-lister's know the product is great, Some (male A-lister's), are not that familiar with the brand, so they see the packaging and their confidence level drops a couple of notches because they think "kid's make-up", same goes for Hello Kitty.

Other's have mentioned Eve Pearl, Bobbi Brown, Lancome, Estee Lauder, I am going to add Kryolan, as being too simplistic, yes, but it does look clean and professional when laid out on a station. My only complaint with their packaging within their line, is that they look the same for all their products. Is it a concealer? Foundation? Eye shadow? Blush? Powder? You have to open it to find out, or yes turn it over to look at the label... Too much fussing and fumbling around in an actors bag when time is a major factor during a touch up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. That's a good question! I would have to say Physician's Formula (childish) and Hourglass (waaay off from my personal aesthetic). Also Elizabeth Arden- the packaging is boring!

I have to agree with most people. Bobbi Brown packaging just doesn't do it for me and I've never been drawn to it. Recently, I worked with a makeup artist who swears by Bobbi Brown cosmetics, so I've been turned on to them.  I also really hate some of Urban Decay's packaging, it looks cheap and tacky, but I love their naked pallet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back