September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is it too early to start one of these for September? Ish is about to get real with my finances, because I am finally doing what the grown-ups do and buying a house! I'm doing it by myself, which is terrifying, and I'm definitely going to have to rein in the impulse/comfort spending. Hopefully the excitement of everything will stave off boredom/depression for a good long while, and I will be too busy to even think about buying non-house stuff!

We're buying a new house, too.  =)  The owner turned our bid down about a month ago, and now they're asking if we're still interested.  We've been in our current house 24 years!  So assuming all goes smoothly, we'll close in about 2 months.  I'm definitely along for the ride on a very low buy - even a major purge!

Not too early! I haven't worked out what my September goals are yet. I don't want to finish an August low[er than July]-buy and then just spend a bunch of money on Sept 1. Totally defeats the purpose. But the items I'm thinking of buying are all pretty reasonable purchases that I've been wanting for a couple months. IDK yet.

I was gonna say...juuuust a little early lol, we still have over a week left. but considering I tend to go missing for days on end, might as well. idk what's going on with my september yet. Still trying to make it through august...though will take the next week or so to craft a plan for my finances come sept. especially now that I'm close to paying off my CC and the spending ban will be lifted.

September is going to be the same as August. Not buying anything unnecessary! I need to find a new job. Plus, I'm starting college and need to buy college things. I need to buckle down with my spending! (Is that a phrase people use?)

No, it's not too early. We've only been in our house for about a year and it took a lot of will power not to comfort shop. I became so stressed over things that I nearly forgot about buying house things and became fueled by impulse (mostly makeup lol) buys. I'm actually just now beginning to furnish the house completely. So reel yourself in NOW so when the time comes you'll be ready.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Works for me, I'm finishing up my PhD and interviewing for jobs right now, which will be shortly followed by moving and eventually also purchasing a house.  I made a couple of purchases today of essentials, and now I'm going to go low-buy from tomorrow until Thanksgiving, or house purchase, whichever happens first.  I'm going to keep my Birchbox and Ipsy bag, and then allow myself one purchase of under $50 in September as a b-day gift to myself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ETA : I might also have to allow myself one Halloween order in October, but I'll worry about that later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been really, really bad about buying lately, and it has to stop NOW. I also am buying a house, and I'm getting pretty stressed about my finances. We close in three weeks. I really want to make myself go on a no buy for the rest of the year, but I don't know how that will go. I've made some stupid impulse purchases lately, and I need to look into returning some (still unreceived and unopened) things as well as some Memebox orders.

Not too early for me. My September goal is to only spend on groceries, pet supplies, and Momma's medical supplies. I'm allowed my subs but that is all.

My birthday is October 5th. My original birthday budget was $40, but since I'm turning 50, I will get a $50 budget for October.

I utterly failed August, so I need to go on a strict no-buy in September. I don't think it's too early! Gives me some time to start planning my goals and how I am going to make this bad boy work. :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm still working out my September plans as well. I think I'll see how the rest of August goes first.

My "Plan" is the same as it has been for August.  I only use from the items I put in my makeup bag to finish those products. OR I decide I can't take them anymore because they are crap and toss them.  Then I can replace. Sometimes I have a replacement in the wings or I have to purchase.

It may be a bit early, as I've yet to get through August! My kids start school Monday, and I KNOW I'm going to celebrate by wandering the aisles of Ulta without having screaming kids trailing me through the nail polish. I need a few things, so I'll try to get a coherent list going here -

Allowed:

- 1 trip to Ulta, can buy cosmetic wedge sponges

- can buy up to $15 in stuff from Haus of Gloi's fall collection

- 2 Birchboxes, MUST cancel one by end of Sept

- Vanishing Cabinet from Notoriously Morbid

- Sample Society

NOT Allowed:

- ANYTHING ELSE.

- No drugstore stuff or wandering the cosmetic aisle at the grocery store.

- Try to stay out of the Enablers Thread.

I'm going to try to use my purchasing power this month to buy furniture for the house. (Big hugs to everyone planning to buy a house right now! It's SO stressful but so worth it!). We bought ours 2 years ago and have yet to paint or buy more than a few pieces of furniture. The kids need new beds (if anyone knows of a good place to get bunk beds let me know!), Hubby and I need a new bedroom set, and we need to furnish the guest bedroom. My first project for late Aug/early Sept will be painting and decorating the downstairs 1/2 bath - start small, right?

Good luck ladies!!!

Alright, so first time doing a no buy type thing (actually found this site through looking up what all these no buy hashtags were about  :lol: ) and I'm pretty excited about it, especially with the holidays, my daughter's third birthday and my birthday coming up! Returning to work from a 11 week maternity leave, so while money isn't exactly tight, it's really time I ought to be watching what I spend.

Recently got into subscription boxes this month, so I'll see which ones I like and continue the good ones through September as well as allowing my husband to get his online game sub. Necessities like groceries, gas, and baby things are allowed, but that's it! 

Can't wait to see how I manage! Goodluck everybody! 

After a two-month replacement only no buy (which was fairly successful), I'm going on a low buy for September. Allowed purchases:

- I can keep my one Birchbox subscription.

- I can take the October Julep box if I really like the colors and product.

- I can get an indie makeup sub, and if I can't snag one, I can place a $10-$12 indie makeup purchase. If I get a sub, then no other indie purchases allowed for the month.

- I can buy true replacement items. I should do a weekly inventory to assess needs.

- I can order a Memebox if I can use points and/or codes, but I can only have one Memebox waiting to ship at a time. Exception: if Memebox releases a toner/serum/essence box, I can order that even if I am waiting on another box to ship.

- In addition to the above, I can spend up to $40 on makeup/skincare. However, I have to wait 24 hours before making an online purchase.

I think this should be very doable.

I'll be on a low buy for September. We are going on a cruise at the end of October that I would rather have money for. I started a no buy about mid month this month once I came to terms with the amount of samples I have. The hoard has gotten out of control!

Rules for September:

- True replacements, if necessary. Honestly, I have so many samples of stuff I think this won't be necessary. At All.

- Subs are allowed (Julep and Ipsy).

- MUST use up samples before opening something else! I'm so bad about having a million different things open and then things going bad or drying up.

- Up to $40 budget in case of some critical sale that I have to take advantage of. Would be best used for clothing.

Latest posts

Back