sstich79

September 2014 No/Low Buy: Hugs, Commiseration, and Confessional

Spend thoughtfully.  No hoarding purchasing.  And if I don't have the money in my allowance account for whatever it is that I want, I don't get it.  That's my only goal for this month.

I'm not up to being any stricter on myself than that this month, and feel like setting more rules would backfire.  However if I can even accomplish this much, I'll be pleased.

Okay - I'm joining in too!  Trying a low buy.  My goal is to beat my spending for last month as in...to spend less on make up/skin care/ hair care than I did then (August was 161.27 not including my subs)!

Allowed this month:

1.  My glossybox (already prepaid - ends in November and then  I will use my dots till they run out too)

2.  Sample society (already paid for 3 months so I have till November to decide what to do)

3.  Beautydna - monthly sub 

Allowed to buy house stuff for the house we are working on....but necessities only!

ONE clothing item for me IF I adore it and can see myself using it at least once a week.

Clothes to replace the ones my kids have outgrown (school uniform items).

BUT I can only buy one item IF I clean out my wardrobe and get rid of all the clothes that no longer fit...

I must shop my hoard!

But I'm allowed to swap for HG items for myself or for family!

Wishing everyone luck.  I love to shop...but my goal is to be good till black friday so I can splurge on a few things then.

I've been on a low buy all year. I've bought a few non-essentials but have stuck with it for the most part. I have reduced my stash but I need to re-commit to tossing/giving away what I'm not using. I did use up seven items last month and tossed four items.  This month I want to go through my single eyeshadows and decide if I like all of them enough to keep them or if I have dupes in my palettes. I also want to sell some of my unopened stuff that I have an excess of. I sold $100 of stuff last month on ebay and I would like to sell that much this month as well. 

Good luck everyone! 

Didn't get a chance to read everyone's goals for this month yet, but so far they're looking good. Everyone has some form of plan.

For me? I am still on a no-buy on beauty products (ahem, including fashion magazines) through the end of October. November,

when all the holiday sets and deals are coming out (particularly the 20% off VIB discount at Sephora)

I can start restocking my makeup.

What is helping me right now is keeping track of what is coming out for holiday sets, deciding what I want, and really.... deciding what I'd want before they even started coming out so I don't jump on anything too hard.

What's making it hard is

the drugstore limited edition fall collections. They are so hard to find and only have a few pieces at each store. So, today I caved and bought 2 Wet 'n' Wild 5-pan palettes and some fashion magazines. I swear, in August I bought, like 10 magazines. What's my problem? I don't even get any enjoyment out of reading them. Eugh!!!

So anyway, back on track: I'm on a no-buy this month and through October. No beauty supplies can be purchased- not for skincare, makeup, hair, nails, etc... except for replacements of necessary skincare items when I either find a really good sale or run out.

That's all for now! Let's do this!

September! Despite a VERY bad start to August at the Sephora 4x points sale, I finished up the month strong. Hoping to continue that momentum into September! We just bought a new house last month, and with all the little different expenses (nevermind furniture...how do dumb things like towel racks and toilet paper holders add up to so much?!), I really shouldn't be spending on makeup when I already have so much!

Allowed for the month:

-1 Birchbox

-$60 in fun, non-makeup purchases. This includes things like my Hulu plus subscription, movies, and CANDLES/other fall scented things. Eating out isn't included and has a separate budget. 

-A new pair of boots if I can find ones I like are under the amount I've previously set aside for them 

-Replacement purchases for skincare, if I've used up my stash of a given product (unlikely for this month)

Not allowed:

-ANY MAKEUP PURCHASES. Fall scented body/home products are allowed though for this month because...fall. 

-Taking Julep. I took the last two months, and the dark colors don't appeal to me, so it's time for a skip.

-Clothes purchases. I bought a few things in August to round out my fall wardrobe, and besides the aforementioned boots, I think it is in good shape. Time to cool down on clothes purchases.

Other goals:

-Keep my eating out spending within the preset budget

-Track my fun, eating out, and grocery budgets by hand on the go. I always do it in a spreadsheet, but that's retroactive. I think it will be a good mental trigger to write it down and see my budgeted amounts for the month dwindling down.

-Keep up with Project Pan, but allow myself to switch something out if I'm feeling the urge to buy. 

-Switch to my capsule wardrobe for fall and stick with it. I loved doing this over the summer, and it is almost time to switch seasons!

-Focus less on reading/watching makeup reviews and more on home improvement projects!

Day 3 and doing fine. I've improved a lot just because my commute no longer takes me past sephora and ulta everyday. Lol but really I've kinda been a cheap-o the past couple weeks judt one example is that my boyfriend suggested going out to eat just once this week and it's annoying me so much because I just don't want to spend that money! A month ago I would have been finding any excuse to go out to eat almost every day. Since we moved out on our own I've noticed on my mint app that I've been spending between $600-$700 on food, dining, and alcohol per month! That is INSANE especially considering I don't have kids or pets or anything! So I've been good at cutting down those costs too. I had a net -$50 spending last month but that's because I was playing catch up with high spending early in the month.

Ah, hello! I'm back! Sorry I kinda just fell off the face of the planet, and as a result, this site. August was pretty hectic - lots of vacation, family visits, our internet went down for an entire week, etc. It was busy and a teensy bit exhausting, but having all of this stuff going on meant that I didn't really have many opportunities to think about makeup, much less sit down and browse sites. So, all in all, I ended up spending $20 at Lush in August. Not bad! I can't remember what products I finished, since I accidentally tossed my bad of empties before I had the chance to share them, but from what I can recall, it was a fairly decent month with a few full sizes completed.

Goals for this month:

No more buying. The rest of the month is gonna be a no-buy. I've already spent $100 on beauty stuff this month (!!!) - I hit up the Fond Farewells section of Lush's site yet again and snagged the two blushes from the MAC Simpsons collection. This is my birthday month, so I'm just going to consider those things just early birthday presents to myself. 

Finish 10 full-size products. That's a pretty big goal, I know, but I've got several things that are just kind of floating around my bathroom, lingering in cabinets, and barely have any product left in them. It's time for me to just commit to finishing them up so I can get them out of the way. 

I think I'll cut it off there, just so I don't get too overwhelmed by piling on too many goals. Good luck everyone, September is going to be a great month for us!

I kind of have a problem. Well, so... I want to be on a no-buy from now until November. Here's the problem:

A while back there was a limited edition release of OCC's primary pack of lip tars which had white, black, red, yellow, and blue and you could mix any color (theoretically, although matte) with those. I was so stoked about it and tried to wait until the April 20% off chic week sale, but by then it was sold out and both Sephora and OCC responded to my pleas that the would not bring it back. I even considered spending $60 on Ebay after it sold out to get a set.

Then I eventually realized it wasn't going to happen.

Then a few months later I realized I probably wouldn't have used them that much anyway, and let it go.

Enter yesterday: I was playing with makeup at Sephora and saw that they had 6 sets of the primary pack on sale! For the original price of $29. I almost bought it, but I held back. But I feel like I should really get it this time.... but I don't know what to do. I feel like if I miss out on it again I'll be devastated... plus.... it's still listed as sold out online...

So that'll be a hurdle considering I already waited for it to be on sale and lost out and there was no hope of it ever being in stock again. Eugh!!!!!!

Is this a test? Hahahah!

I don't know what to do..............

Edited by eastofthesun

If you already decided that you won't use it, then don't get it!  It's fun to think you'll play Beauty Scientist, but the number of times I've ACTUALLY done DIY beauty stuff.... I can count them on one hand. 

So, if you DO cave, then you have to set yourself up with a schedule that you WILL use them at least once a (week/month/etc) and stick to it.  Otherwise, if you think AT ALL that this will be a beauty purchase that will sit around in a drawer gathering dust (and I will confess to having many of these!) then don't buy it!

• Like 4

I kind of have a problem. Well, so... I want to be on a no-buy from now until November. Here's the problem:

A while back there was a limited edition release of OCC's primary pack of lip tars which had white, black, red, yellow, and blue and you could mix any color (theoretically, although matte) with those. I was so stoked about it and tried to wait until the April 20% off chic week sale, but by then it was sold out and both Sephora and OCC responded to my pleas that the would not bring it back. I even considered spending $60 on Ebay after it sold out to get a set.

Then I eventually realized it wasn't going to happen.

Then a few months later I realized I probably wouldn't have used them that much anyway, and let it go.

Enter yesterday: I was playing with makeup at Sephora and saw that they had 6 sets of the primary pack on sale! For the original price of $29. I almost bought it, but I held back. But I feel like I should really get it this time.... but I don't know what to do. I feel like if I miss out on it again I'll be devastated... plus.... it's still listed as sold out online...

So that'll be a hurdle considering I already waited for it to be on sale and lost out and there was no hope of it ever being in stock again. Eugh!!!!!!

Is this a test? Hahahah!

I don't know what to do..............

PMed you with a mildly enabling suggestion.

If you already decided that you won't use it, then don't get it!  It's fun to think you'll play Beauty Scientist, but the number of times I've ACTUALLY done DIY beauty stuff.... I can count them on one hand. 

So, if you DO cave, then you have to set yourself up with a schedule that you WILL use them at least once a (week/month/etc) and stick to it.  Otherwise, if you think AT ALL that this will be a beauty purchase that will sit around in a drawer gathering dust (and I will confess to having many of these!) then don't buy it!

Thanks! I'm kind of getting mixed signals from myself and others.... which leads me to believe I probably shouldn't purchase it. However, I can also see myself really angry when it sells out again.... so I'm just trying to decide how to best handle this. I think this is the type of situation that really gets most of us.... those LE collections that you don't have a lot of time to hem and haw over before dropping dollars.

PMed you with a mildly enabling suggestion.

I just saw this!

Surprisingly, that message you sent me was kind of not enabling.... I loved it, thanks! This may just keep me on track.

Edited by eastofthesun
  • Like 1

I've already ruined my no-buy! *falls into a pit of sobbing* I've been in a super bad way lately and when I can't sleep at night, I browse the internet. Tonight I caved on two lipsticks, one an indie, and a sample of an indie gloss. ARGHHHH!

It's okay, I am rallying. I have to return some items to Sephora that didn't work out, so in the end I should break even. But I need more willpower! Anyone have good tips on distracting yourself in the middle of the night when massive insomnia won't let you sleep? :flowers:

I've already ruined my no-buy! *falls into a pit of sobbing* I've been in a super bad way lately and when I can't sleep at night, I browse the internet. Tonight I caved on two lipsticks, one an indie, and a sample of an indie gloss. ARGHHHH!

It's okay, I am rallying. I have to return some items to Sephora that didn't work out, so in the end I should break even. But I need more willpower! Anyone have good tips on distracting yourself in the middle of the night when massive insomnia won't let you sleep? :flowers:

I read a book, preferabley one I've read before, and love :)  I occasionally get really bad insomnia, and while it is tempting to head over to the computer, it's a bad move. Sleep and computers don't mix : http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/features/power-down-better-sleep

Though I'll admit, I do often cave and head over to the computer!!

Other ideas, herbal tea, warm milk (has tryptophan in it, like turkey, which causes sleepyness), spritz a perfume you like on your pillow, really anything that helps you relax and takes your mind off of anything it is focusing on. 

hmm... spent $25 on a Nars Pierre Hardy blush (i also spent $25 on the orangey one last month). I've basically stopped Sephora-ing for now in favor of stalking an instagram seller for good deals. I need to come up with a short list of Holiday sets that I want and decide how much I really want it, how much I can wait until post-holiday discount, or not pick up at all!

I have to remember that I want to buy a car and that down payments are important (well, depending on who you talk to).

I bought a few Lee Holden Qi Gong videos, and one has a 13 minute bonus deep sleep floor routine.  For some reason, I can fall asleep after doing this FAR better than if I don't.  Even better, this extra routine is available in its entirety for free on youtube!  =)

• Like 1

Definitely taking this September no buy seriously. I managed NOT to order the new Shiro COTM immediately. I'm waiting to get it later. I want to sock some money away from holiday goodies.

Yeah so far so good, which is better than last month. Last month I think I caved on the 3rd? So woohoo I've made it one day longer so far!

• Like 2

Made my allowed Haus of Gloi order!  And successfully resisted buying the September PopSugar box last night.  Closing that window was SO HARD, you guys!

That scarf!  It's so pretty! And I had a $10 off code!  But seriously, I just don't use the items I've gotten in past boxes and I DON'T NEED TO BUY THIS ONE. And I have a kajillion scarves! I don't need another one!

• Like 2

Day 5!  Doing better than last month.   I think I will do ok this month because I am finally using products I like.  Yeah, I would like a few eyeliners in different colors to find something great.  But, I have all the basics and am no longer using crap that I have had forever.  I have been getting great stuff in my boxes to keep me in new product bliss.  I somehow have a mental relationship with one that just seems to know when I want/need something and its in the next box. 

Only replacements I see for September are:

Foundation

Cleanser

I think what will keep me entertained this month is my 2 boxes as well as possibly trying a new foundation and a new cleanser.  I think I like trying new things and that triggers my buying.  So, a little bit of new hopefully will go a long way in September.

Got an email from Ulta saying they gave me a random 100 points ($3).  I went in yesterday, grabbed a pack of cotton rounds and a clearance nail file (both gifts!) and gave them $0.51 and WALKED OUT.  I couldn't stop myself from wandering the store, but everything I picked up, I immediately put down.  

I think I've broken the Ulta addiction!  (however, there's no hope for my indie addiction. Le sigh, lol)

• Like 1

I caved the other day for an Indie subscription I've been wanting to try that I was finally able to purchase, but as I've been meaning to get this subscription for months, and I plan on reviewing it on my blog, I'm not going to count it. Memeboxes were the death of my no buy last month, and so far this month I've been good! Memebox free since the 1st  :)

• Like 1