Plie Wand -- Does it really work for shaky hands?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!  I was wondering if people who've used the Plie wand, especially those with shaky hands or twitching in the hands, think it's worth it?  I am a Maven but I skip almost every month because I cannot afford it.  But this month they are offering in the "Core Classics" box the Plie wand, extra cap, 5 pc precision brushes and a creativity kit.  I'm so tempted because I have very shaky hands and when I do my nails there are always problems.  My hand trembles and the brush slips, making a mess...I have to redo nails or try to cover up mistakes a whole lot, Nail polish almost always ends up on my fingers.  I love doing my nails it's one of my favorite things and the idea that maybe I could do art with the creativity kit sounds fun.  Also, I'd like to make my nails look less childish and more professional.  But my question is, does it really do the things it claims??  Is it easier to hold and manipulate?  Does it lessen mistakes??  I don't want to spend $20 on something that doesn't help me, but the idea of more control over what I'm doing sounds so nice!  I wish they let you apply Jules to partial orders--I'd shell out $9 for it.  Thanks a bunch! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've had the plié wand for a couple months and I'm still not sure if it's really that much easier to paint my nails. I do think the length of the wand makes it easier to control the brush strokes and makes it a lot easier to paint my toenails. It does take some practice to get used to using it. From what I've read, it's really hit or miss. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I'm not sure if you can customize your box, but I did notice that they have it available as one of the options you can swap in. You could get 2 polishes and the plié wand. That way you can see if it works for you before you invest in the extras.

I've used mine a few times, and I don't think it made things any easier/better. There is definitely a learning curve, as in, don't expect your results to be better than the "old-fashioned" way for at least the first few manicures.  That said, I'm pretty good at doing my own nails in the first place with minimal clean-up needed.

I think the best way to steady your hands while painting is to sit at a desk or table, then place the finger of the nail you're painting on the edge of the surface and place the heel/side of the painting hand on the surface also. Try to have to only thing moving be the fingers that are holding the brush. Remember, taking the time to do 2-3 thin coats instead of one thick coat will look much better in the end.  If I'm doing the whole nine yards (base coat, 2-3 layers of color, top coat) I give myself a solid hour to make sure I have at least 5 minutes of dry time between coats. An hour at the computer surfing the web or watching a movie on TV is ideal in my book!

Back to the plie: I did like the weighted aspect of the tool. However, I prefer to "choke down" on the brush, so holding it much further back was not something I liked.

I thought it was helpful since I paint and am used to long paintbrushes. It made for smoother strokes and made the process of painting my nails a bit faster. Think of trying to write with a golf pencil vs a regular size pencil.

I had the plie wand when they released it in the monthly box the first time.  I didn't like it.  

I don't usually have any issues painting my nails or need much, if any, clean up afterwards... but it came in the box so I gave it an honest shot.  I do have nerve damage in my hands, and randomly get bouts of twitching in my fingers on and off.  So when that flares up I tend to get more painting issues like uneven coats and paint on my fingers.  My brushes don't slip though.  When my fingers twitch it is like a shot of electricity jolting them quickly, but I don't lose grip--just spread messy paint, lol.  

It is bulky, clumsy, awkward at first use.  I tried 10 manicures with it, I never felt it got any better.  It felt like it never bent right for how I paint, and when I tried painting differently it looked terrible and took me forever.  I didn't feel I had much control over it.  I also didn't like the super short brush stick, and had more issues than ever with paint dripping down and pooling on the nail.  

I thought it did okay for my toes, helped with the reach, but in the end I didn't favor it for that either because I didn't have enough control to do a decent job.  

But if your main problem painting is trembling hands that lose grip of the brush letting it slip, I don't honestly think a plie wand will solve your problem.  

I like the golf pencil/regular pencil analogy above... but more along the lines of: if you hold a golf pencil and your hand trembles/losing grip.. is holding a longer one going to stop your trembles?  It might help with the actual brush strokes (just as in regular painting), but it wont keep your hand from losing grip when it trembles.  Like if you took a long pencil, and cut it 1/4 way from the writing tip, so the other 3/4 is bent-angled over your hand, is that going to help you?  That's about what the plie is, only nail polish.  It has limited rotation/flexibility that sits away from or against the crook of your hand, with all the weight at the brush end.  I know some ladies loved it, but I've read a lot more reviews saying it wasn't worth it or they didn't like it.  But you never know sometimes until you try it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

If you're going to buy a box anyways, and if you can get the plie wand for not much more than you would normally spend... I say try it if you're REALLY Itching to, but don't go in with unrealistic expectations.  I wouldn't spend a ton of money just to try it though.  

Thanks SO much for all your advice everyone! I appreciated the advice for how to do nails better, as I am still learning how to properly do makeup and nail polish. (It's a fun ride and honestly I think it's raised my self-esteem, as silly as that sounds). It seems like the $20 investment isn't worth it...I didn't sign up for customizing boxes so I'm going to keep a look out for a future box that has just the wand and polish/other things. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks again for all your advice!

Thanks SO much for all your advice everyone! I appreciated the advice for how to do nails better, as I am still learning how to properly do makeup and nail polish. (It's a fun ride and honestly I think it's raised my self-esteem, as silly as that sounds). It seems like the $20 investment isn't worth it...I didn't sign up for customizing boxes so I'm going to keep a look out for a future box that has just the wand and polish/other things. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks again for all your advice!
I don't know where to find them exactly, but others here would... but you might even try looking at the Julep swap boards, I'm sure somebody has a plie wand up for cheap or trade.  

Latest posts

Back