Allure Sample Society October 2014 Spoilers and Discussion!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did any of you ladies out there also see this mention of October's first spoiler! I hadn't seen anyone else mention it so I thought I should go ahead and start a thread for the October's box. We will be getting Bobbi Brown's Smokey Eye Mascara! What do y'all think? =)

Screenshot_2014-09-10-22-18-36.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Did any of you ladies out there also see this mention of October's first spoiler! I hadn't seen anyone else mention it so I thought I should go ahead and start a thread for the October's box. We will be getting Bobbi Brown's Smokey Eye Mascara! What do y'all think? =)
I love Urban Decay Perversion Mascara; it will be interesting to see how they compare. Thanks for the spoiler :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm always happy to get mascara, thanks to subs I haven't bought a tube in over two years and still have a big stash of unopened samples to go. Also, if I hate it I don't feel remorse for tossing it.

Never thought I'd be as ambivalent about a spoiler of a deluxe sized high-end brand! :unsure: I don't like mascara samples in general (although I DO use them, don't get me wrong. :lol: ) but I haven't used Bobbi Brown products in ages, I don't like the brand. So this is like a one-two punch of yuck.

Oh well, hope the rest are better and I will give this one away!

I don't care much for trying different mascaras... they are all black and most of them perform more or less the same. Ha. I stick to my favorites, Shu Uemura, Mary Kay, and Givenchy. =)

I was surprised that no one else had seen the mention of a spoiler since Allure had instagrammed it a day before I saw it. Haha.

I'm always happy to get mascara, thanks to subs I haven't bought a tube in over two years and still have a big stash of unopened samples to go. Also, if I hate it I don't feel remorse for tossing it.
I organized my stash last night.  I have enough mascara for at least two years.  My challenge is only opening one at a time, so I use it before it goes bad (i.e., before bacteria start to grow or whatever).

I did toss one mascara last night, though -- the stinky one from Ipsy a few months back.  Originally, I set it aside without opening it, but complained to Ipsy anyway when I started seeing discussion of it online (and got a replacement which was a BaB One Stick :angry: ).  Last night I found it, opened the tube, and sniffed.  Wow, that was bad.  I need to go through and toss some opened but old mascaras, now.

Maybe I'll be more receptive to the idea of a new mascara when I've done some more stash culling.

I have a lot of mascaras right now (and really don't need any more)... but my mom LOVES Bobbi Brown products so I'm totally giving this to her. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Cosmetics companies need to expand their sample options. A blush or eyeshadow would be nice to get everyone once in awhile instead of mascaras and eyeliners, which we're seemingly bombarded with.

Bobbi Brown is a good brand. A bit boring to me, but I've never tried their mascaras. I'd like to give it a whirl.

Cosmetics companies need to expand their sample options. A blush or eyeshadow would be nice to get everyone once in awhile instead of mascaras and eyeliners, which we're seemingly bombarded with.

Bobbi Brown is a good brand. A bit boring to me, but I've never tried their mascaras. I'd like to give it a whirl.
This, exactly! Mascara is mascara; I find very little difference among them all except the brush design and the price, and often the drugstore brands are better than something obscenely overpriced. As I switch out mascaras every three months or so, I refuse to pay a Lancome or Estee Lauder price tag, and usually stick to Cover Girl or the endless stream of mascaras I end up getting in boxes. It's actually not so much that I mind mascara in my subs, I mind that it's Johnny One-Note on the kazoo--basic black, blah blah blah. If they're going to keep us eyeball-deep in mascara, I'd prefer variation, brown or some interesting color like a deep burgundy or plum. The main reason it irritates me, however, is that one of the reasons I take sample boxes is to rule out allergies...in my husband. When we were still dating, I once wore Maybelline's mineral makeup, and a goodnight kiss broke him out so badly he had to call into work the next day and get to his doctor for an emergency script for an eczema flare. Mascara is just not the best way to gauge a potential reaction, and is therefore not the best introduction to any given line.

Well, it doesn't excite me, but it doesn't annoy me, either. At this point I have no brand loyalty for mascara. I try whatever I get sent or get in trades. My favorite in the past was the Clinique Naturally Glossy, because I liked that it didn't make my lashes that awful flat dull black, and they made a black/brown I loved for days when I just wanted to look natural.

I'm not really that excited about a mascara, I also have lots of mascara. My eye lashes are also naturally long and thick, people always ask who does my false lashes. (I really feel like that's a rude question, but I think it's meant a compliment.)

One mascara pretty much does the same as the next.  However, I only wear black mascara... so that is kind of a plus..

It will get used, eventually... If not, I have a mom and a sister and Christmas is right around the corner!! 

@lovepink  Done!  And no problem!  In situations like this, the best move is in fact to tag a specific mod (in other words, exactly what you did) instead of just asking generically for a mod to do something because we don't always see the requests unless one of us is tagged.  Thanks!

@lovepink  Done!  And no problem!  In situations like this, the best move is in fact to tag a specific mod (in other words, exactly what you did) instead of just asking generically for a mod to do something because we don't always see the requests unless one of us is tagged.  Thanks!
Thank you!  I was trying to make sure to tag a mod who hangs out in this thread since I know there are lots of threads and limited mods!

Can't wait to see more spoilers.  I have the Bobbi Brown mascara but have not used it (mascara hoard) but I could gift it!  Hope October is amazing but I am biased as it is my birth month! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I refuse to pay a Lancome or Estee Lauder price tag
I have a Lancome mascara but only because of the little kit Sephora was offering (maybe still offers) where you get 5 minis and a coupon for a full-sized one from the set.  So I paid like $25 for that, then I got the 5 minis and the Lancome full size (was also an excuse to check out the new Sephora store that opened near me).  Otherwise I never would have gone for it.  (I was also ordering something else from Sephora and wanted to hit the free shipping minimum...)

(Edit: I realized what I wrote might not make sense.  I bought the set of 5 minis online to hit free shipping.  Then I took the coupon to the physical Sephora.)

But you are right, I also find very few differences among them (although I hate the brush for Bare Minerals Lash Domination).  I'm about as happy with an e.l.f. mascara as anything that costs $15+.  Eyeliners are another story, entirely, though.

@@lovepink Done! And no problem! In situations like this, the best move is in fact to tag a specific mod (in other words, exactly what you did) instead of just asking generically for a mod to do something because we don't always see the requests unless one of us is tagged. Thanks!
Oh. I am sorry. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to mention the name of the box subscription as well. I am quite new to this. I also reckoned this thread will be under the "Sample Society" option, since that is what I always click on to navigate to the different threads specifically for Sample Society. =/

Oh. I am sorry. I wasn't aware that I was supposed to mention the name of the box subscription as well. I am quite new to this. I also reckoned this thread will be under the "Sample Society" option, since that is what I always click on to navigate to the different threads specifically for Sample Society. =/
Welcome to the forum!  It's not a big deal because mods can change this, but one thing to keep in mind about thread titles is that not everyone goes to threads the same way, so they don't always see the subforum that a thread is in, just the thread title.  It's much easier to draw thread traffic and participation for a subscription box thread if your thread includes the sub name and the month, and if the word "spoilers" is also included, you can even post spoilers for the box without needing spoiler tags! 

(But if you were talking about, say, the October PopSugar box or a later Sample Society box in this thread, you *should* go ahead and use spoiler tags.)

I have a Lancome mascara but only because of the little kit Sephora was offering (maybe still offers) where you get 5 minis and a coupon for a full-sized one from the set. So I paid like $25 for that, then I got the 5 minis and the Lancome full size (was also an excuse to check out the new Sephora store that opened near me). Otherwise I never would have gone for it. (I was also ordering something else from Sephora and wanted to hit the free shipping minimum...)

(Edit: I realized what I wrote might not make sense. I bought the set of 5 minis online to hit free shipping. Then I took the coupon to the physical Sephora.)

But you are right, I also find very few differences among them (although I hate the brush for Bare Minerals Lash Domination). I'm about as happy with an e.l.f. mascara as anything that costs $15+. Eyeliners are another story, entirely, though.
I buy Lancôme and EL when they have a GWP, and they always, ALWAYS have a mascara. I really think that mascara is among the cheapest cosmetics to manufacture, and that's why companies just throw it like confetti into the freebie bins behind the store counters and every sub box but the ones with diapers and dog food. I'm literally up to my eyeballs in it right now so that's why it really doesn't excite me to get one. Sometimes with the subs, it feels like there's an attitude of "You want makeup, here's a mascara. It has color, black is a color."

Latest posts

Back