I'm new at makeup and I need help

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm very, very, very new at makeup and I don't really know what to do. I mean, I kind of understand how to put it all on but I don't know what all I should buy. I want to start wearing something that is not very noticeable because I have to be a "boy" at school. Does anyone have any recommendations? What types of what should I buy so no one really notices me? If it would help I'm currently 15 years old in my sophomore year of high school. Also, is there something I could do with my hair? I know this is the makeup section but I wanted everything to be together. My hair is currently an inch or 2 or maybe a tiny bit more past my shoulders. I've tried straightening it but that was a huge fail. I'd love to have it curled but that may be a bit too girly for school. It's naturally curly, I just mean styling it with neat looking curls. I don't know, I'm new. All of this is hard for me to handle but I need to soon. Thank you all so very much in advance!

Also, I read about this stuff called tinted moisturizer. Do you think I could get away with wearing that at school? Or would it be better to use foundation or whatever? Or neither?

How's your skin? Tinted moisturizer is going to look like your skin, just a little bit evened out. I bet no one would notice that you were even wearing it. Foundation is probably going to look like you're wearing foundation unless you find the perfect one for your skin type and are good at application (which is a surprisingly steep learning curve, at least for me) so it will probably be obvious that you're wearing it. I'm seriously in love with the Too Faced The Secret To No Makeup Makeup palette. I was nervous when I started with makeup and that really let me ease myself into wearing it without feeling too made up. It's an investment but I really think it was worth it. 

Hey! I would definitely recommend a BB cream or tinted moisturizer if you're looking to have a very natural look. My younger sister started out on a tinted moisturizer and slowly built up with mineral powder foundation then finally liquid foundation. Makeup takes practice so never get discouraged if it doesn't work out the first time around. I think you could get away with the tinted moisturizer or BB cream and some mascara. Good luck with your makeup adventures!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

To add to what the people above said, if the tinted moisturizer or BB cream is too noticeable to you, try thinning it out with face cream/lotion.  If you don't have a lot of money to spend, try Wet'n'wild.  It's a very inexpensive brand but their tinted moisturizer isn't bad at all.  If you have a little more cash to burn I'd look into going to a makeup counter at a dept store and asking them what they would recommend because chances are they will show you how to apply it and if you ask nicely they'll give you a sample to take home and try so if you like it you can go back and buy it.  I would try a few different brands and get a variety to see what you like and what feels comfortable to you.

Edit my crap grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm definitely a HUGE fan of BB and CC creams. Personally I use a CC cream just because I have a lot of dark spots. If you have acne consider a CC cream, but a BB cream would work well also. I definitely feel like if I could go back in time to my teenage self, I would recommend that for everyday you focus on your face. The key to a no make up-make up look is having a flawless face and then you can add a quick mascara lipgloss. Also, check out Youtube!! There are so many channels out there that have step by step tutorials. And even on this website, there are tutorials posted. 

I have a youtube channel located in my signature if you want to check it out, but there are so many youtubers with make up out channels out there! Check em out!

For the most natural "no makeup" look I suggest a BB or CC cream that matches your skin, or add a drop or two of liquid foundation to a moisturizer with broad spectrum SPF of at least 30.

If oiliness is problem use blotting sheets and a very light application of translucent powder with a kabuki or face brush. Use a light hand.

Mascara, brown if you are fair with blonde, red, or light brown hair. One coat only and use a dry spoolie to separate lashes. If you have dark hair and medium to dark complection use black mascara. For just adding a touch of definition without color use a clear mascara which can double for eyebrow gel.

Lips, for most  the most natural  look clear Chapstick, or Bonne Belle Lip Smackers for great flavors. If you are bit bold, Cherry Chapstick  or Dr Pepper Lip Smackers add just a touch of natural pinky-red flush to the lips.

This is also the same advice I would give to very young girls just starting out. Completely natural, but with sneaky enhancements.

A fanastic book for makeup beginners is Cindy Crawford's Basic Face. Co-authored by Sonia Kashuk it is the book I always recommend to anyone new to cosmetics. It can be found on Amazon, eBay or your local library.

I hope this helps you, welcome to the wonderful world of makeup!

Hey, LittleBlackStar! Others have mentioned great ways to get started with makeup so I won't go into detail on that, but I do want to address some things you brought up. It sounds like you don't feel comfortable to be yourself at school. Once you really get started with makeup, you're probably going to want to try out some more bold looks that will be noticeable, and it might feel awkward and stifling to not be allowed to do that among your peers. You may even feel like you have to wear clothes that don't suit you and to keep your hair short. That sucks! So I hope that you have supportive people in your life who can guide you through this process.

1) Many communities have LGBTQIA organizations that support non-gender-conforming teens. I used to volunteer at a youth lounge which was one of the few places in town where some of the teens who came felt really comfortable to be themselves. Sometimes they'd even bring clothes to change into that they felt they couldn't wear at school. If you can find a place like this, you'll at least have one place where you can be totally comfortable in your own skin.

2) Hopefully you have at least one friend, parent, relative, teacher, or other trusted person who you can talk to about this. I'm not going to pry and ask a lot of questions, but I'm guessing that you are either interested in cross-dressing (maybe just part-time) or in a full male-to-female transition. Either way, there are people who can help you through this, and it's great if you can reach out to them! An LGBTQIA center is a great place to start, but you'll want to tell other people eventually, too - even your doctor if you think you may be trans.

3) Eventually you may want to come out so that you feel free to wear noticeable makeup at school and change your hair and clothes to something you're more comfortable with. You might want to change your gender pronoun to a feminine or gender-neutral one. Nothing about this process is easy, but from what I hear, it's totally worth it so that you don't have to hide a major part of yourself. You may think you're the only one going through this, but you probably already know people going through similar experiences - you might be happily surprised when you reach out. Obviously, you know what your community's like and you'll know best whether this can be a quick, easy process or whether you'll need to take a lot of precautions.

Sorry if I'm being extremely presumptuous, but nobody else brought this stuff up so I wanted to chime in. Feel free to PM me if you want specific resources, and best of luck with the world of makeup! It's a lot of fun.

I'm a high school teacher, and completely understand what you are probably going through. Adolescence is a tough time, especially when you're figuring out how to express who you are. One of my students started by curling his eyelashes and wearing untainted lipbalm. Towards the end of his senior year, he eventually wore a little more eye sparkle and mascara.

If you've got any makeup-wearing friends that you trust, I recommend that you go to their house and play around with different looks using their stash and see what you like. My cousin (a 12-yr-old boy) paints his nails and wears glittery eye shadow when he's not at school. You can also get clear manicures and facials, which will make you feel radiant, but won't be noticeable to others.

As for your hair, try a curl-defining creme or a texturizing creme.

Also, talk to a trusted adult about what you're going through. If you don't have anyone to turn to, you have us!

@@isabelfromcali I love your advise!!! Unfortunately @@LittleBlackStar hasn't been online since posting this =( Hope he finds his way, life is too short to be unhappy. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... Thank you all so much for the responses! I'm so sorry I didn't say that sooner. I guess once I asked this I just forgot about it until today. I feel really bad about it but hopefully most if not all of you will see this and know that I'm very grateful for all of your replies and advice. Thank you very, very much!

Back