Shadow Shields

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 I've always used Kleenex or toilet paper wrapped around a finger myself. Definitely not an item I'd buy.

I have a pretty good solution to never having to buy a shadow shield.

So, I purchased the L'Oreal "The One Sweep" eyeshadow when it was on mad clearance sale at CVS (I think it was like $4 or something) and the product was *not* my favorite, BUT I found a use for the sponge. If you turn it upside down and hold the narrow part on the inner corner of your eye, it's BASICALLY a shadow shield.

When I'm applying eyeshadow I only use one hand so my other hand is free to hold this little sponge up and voila, I have a re-usable (because it's washable) shadow shield!!!

Cos41v_1_pack-shot.jpg

I think it's a nice product to have but not a MUST HAVE. You can always use a tissue instead (although the shadow shield frees both of the hands), and you can also start with the eye makeup, clean the fall outs and then go on and complete the rest of the face makeup.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's an extra step that gets in the way in the overall process.

I remember this product / topic came up when I was in make-up school in the mid 90's, and even today I still agree with the instructors' take on these... These are a crutch. It reinforces sloppy, unrefined work. If a person can't stay within the lines or prevent major product *fallout, then that person needs to practice more, modify their technique, or change up their product.

The only time you use any type of shield, is when you airbrush.

* Yes, some product will fall, but not enough to warrant using one of these. Some already have mentioned alternative methods they use that work.

I have a love hate relationship with Shadow Shields.

Pros:

1. They do work in preventing fall out from touching the skin however....
Cons:

1. The adhesive is very strong and so you must be very gentle in removing so not to tug the delicate under eye skin.
  2. If you apply concealer or foundation and then the shield the shield will remove the concealer/foundation.
  3. Cost. I believe it's $10 for 15 pairs (retail).
  4. Alternative methods less expensive. Use a sticky note, tape or even old fashion powder to under the eye area to keep fall out from sticking to the skin OR don't apply concealer/foundation until you're done with the eye makeup.
I have been sent the Shadow Shields in a couple of beauty boxes and even bought a package from RiteAid however I won't buy it again simply due to the cost and how too sticky the shields are which to me when you're working with the delicate eye area the less tugging you do on the skin the better.

Back