Coconut Oil

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an oil-free moisturizer already but I have been using coconut oil lately and it is much more moisturizing than most other moisturizers.

I use it as a nighttime moisturizer and during the day I will put it on for a half hour and then wash it off just for the benefits of it.

But what I'm not sure is if I can use coconut oil a make-up skin prep moisturizer.

Has anyone done this or does this usually cause breakouts?

Hey Quinn, I ALWAYS use argan oil as a makeup skin prep moisturizer. It gives you a special glow and I have never had problems with it. My kind of skin is combination. I don't know if coconut oil would work the same way...

Hey Quinn, I ALWAYS use argan oil as a makeup skin prep moisturizer. It gives you a special glow and I have never had problems with it. My kind of skin is combination. I don't know if coconut oil would work the same way...
Thanks for the tip gc.carol!

Coconut oil is a highly effective oil. Gives you a ton of benefits plus it's natural which i love....OBVIO... for me personally it has never made me break out but i know a few individuals who cant use it because it in fact does cause some breakouts(im still not 100% convinced the oil is the only factor ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) I think you are on the right track looking to natural oils for that added moisture.

Argan is grreat from what i understand! Try some other oils out there, i think they all have many great things to offer you plus some are more absorbable than others. GOOGLE IT lol. weed thru the bad and find the good info on these hero's.

I use coconut oil on my body occasionally, but it causes my face to break out and feel itchy.  I can't do it anymore.  My face is very sensitive, so I never expected to have much luck with putting oil on it.  I love cooking with coconut oil, though! 

I'm just lazy I buy Monsia Advanced Skin Renewal System.   Their cleanser, toner, day cream with SPF-15 and night repair cream all contain Shea Butter and because they all work together I have found that my skin likes it very much.   I've been using it for several months now and feel that my skin tone has evened out and my age spot is slowly fading.   The night repair cream is fantastic, it disappears into the skin and is not greasy!   For me using one range of products makes a great deal of sense.

I have an oil-free moisturizer already but I have been using coconut oil lately and it is much more moisturizing than most other moisturizers.

I use it as a nighttime moisturizer and during the day I will put it on for a half hour and then wash it off just for the benefits of it.

But what I'm not sure is if I can use coconut oil a make-up skin prep moisturizer.

Has anyone done this or does this usually cause breakouts?
I use a balm type product which is i guess similar to the coconut oil. It develops into an oil. I love it for when I'm not rushing out the door or rushing to bed. It's a Moringa type balm to liquid/oil product. There are lots of alternatives to it ,but I really like it. Emma Hardie has a version as do Boots and even Eve Lom. Thought I'm almost sure eve lom uses lanolin and eucalyptus rather than moringa! I don't find it causes breakouts for me. I have heard reports of it causing break outs for others, these people have more oily than dry skin though, is that a factor for you? I mean do you suffer from oily skin? I use it in my morning care routine sometimes so it's not essentially a make up prep ,but it kind of is as i'm prepping my skin for makeup ,i do use a primer as my main prep a silicone based one ..not sure if i'm replying properly like understanding entirely, but are u using your coconut oil as your primer?

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from the price, I can vouch for coconut oil as it most definitely works. Results are subtle but definitely there. 

I used coconut oil mixed with some sugar as an exfoliator for about 3 or 4 weeks and my acne seemed to be clearing up but I ran out of it for about 2 weeks and my face seems to be breaking out again so I definetly think the coconut oil helped. I'm going to try and get some more this week and try it again, I just wish it wasn't so expensive!

I only used it at night a few times a week because it would make my face extremly shiny, and on nights I used the CO mixture I wouldn't use my regualr moisterizer, I didn't feel like I needed to.

Me too. I'm an avid fan of argan oil. It's a potent oil from Morocco. It leaves my face smooth, glowing and healthy.

I have found coconut oil to be a bit heavy to use on my face for prepping purposes (it's great for night usage).  If I am going to use a oil for the daytime, then I opt for jojoba oil.  Just a few drops for the whole face makes a difference in my skin.

Latest posts

Back