Super new makeup artist needing advice...

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In a corner some place, playing with makeup..
   Hello! I'm a new person and such, but I figured that I needed to get some advice on some things from all you expert types. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Bassically, I have been wanting to be a makup artist since I was about 12. I've always loved makup and have had a great deal of fun over the past 3 years trying on and learning about makup and desperately want to start doing others make up. I am still inexperienced doing others makup, but have decided to do makeup as a "for tips" thing at my local fashion mall so that I can really get used to working with different skin types. (Nearly every one of my friends and my sister have the same skin type.) Even if I loose money doing it I desperately want the experience and want to make people look pretty..

What I was wanting some help with is this.. I am looking for a decent line of cheap makeup for this adventure of mine. In particular, I'm looking for decent foundations, powders, mascara's and concealers. Sadly, I've spoiled myself by getting a great deal of my stuff from sephora these days and would rather not spend a fortune on practice makeup. (But what point is there in doing someone's makeup if it looks bad? >///<; )

Oh, also, if anyone has any advice or articles that they think I should read, I would love it if you posted them. ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I am still super new to this and love advice.

If you're looking for more inexpensive but tried, tested and true foundations, mascara, powders and concealers then I would stick to the drugstore if I were you..

Just off the top of my head I can name a few of each category - 

Foundation:

CoverGirl Clean Whipped Foundation (I love this one)

Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Liquid or Whipped)

L'Oreal True Match Foundation

Maybelline Fit Me Foundation (the concealer is phenomenal too)

For mascara there are sooo many great ones at a cheap price point:

Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volume Mascara (I think this one is only $2.99, SO AFFORDABLE and I personally love it)

Maybelline The Colossal Mascara

CoverGirl Clump Crusher Mascara (this one might be the easiest if you're starting out because you can build it up in layers and it won't clump up on you)

Rimmel Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara 

Powders:

Maybelline Dream Wonder powder

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Powder (this is a cult favorite, super inexpensive for a large quantity)

NYC Smooth Skin Pressed Powder

Palladio Oil Absorbing Rice Powder

ELF Translucent Matifying Powder

Concealers:

Maybelline Fit Me Concealer

NYX Hi Definition Photo Concealer

NYX Concealer in a Jar (this is a dupe of MAC's studio finish concealer)

Revlon PhotoReady Concealer

ELF Studio HD Lifting Concealer

I think these are all a great and VERY inexpensive starting point and there's enough variety in there that it'll work for many different types of skin (oily, combo, regular, sensitive, etc). Hope that helps and if you have any other questions, I'd love to try and help - I'm basically an encyclopedia of inexpensive makeup info, haha (as I'm sure most of the people on MakeupTalk are!!)

Thanks! And yes, as much as I'd love to do people's makeup for free using Bobbi Brown stuff, I'm super poor these dAys. . Lol but seriously, Thanks for your help with this guys. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I kind of have spoiled myself since in the past five years I've made good money. (Ironically, probably the worst five years off my life, but what ever. ) Now I'm barely going to be scraping by at tiny apartment...

Back