Still searching for that Holy Grail.... Top 5 Difficult Product Categories

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You know how most people have some holy grail products?

Well, it seems no matter how many HG products someone has, they're still always on the search for the best X product, especially in those harder categories. 

What are your top 5 most difficult categories to find a holy grail product in?

For me it's:

1. Sunblock (for face) -with UVA/UVB that is moisturizing but not greasy, works well under makeup, and gives me great, long-lasting protection (and also doesn't break me out or dry out my skin.)

2. Mascara- I want one that darkens, volumizes, holds a curl, defines, doesn't clump, doesn't weigh down my lashes, looks natural, is dark brown, not stark black, is easy to remove but doesn't flake, irritate my eyes, or run, and... maybe that's just not possible.

3. Highlighter- I want an easy to apply, easy to blend, non-greasy highlighter/illuminator that isn't glittery, isn't too flat, isn't full of silicones, doesn't remove my makeup when I rub it in, isn't too orange, isn't too yellow, isn't too pink, isn't too bronze, looks natural. Is that possible?

4. Makeup remover- I just want one that removes my face and eye make-up (and waterproof makeup) easily, but is gentle, doesn't require rubbing, doesn't turn my eyes all blurry for hours, doesn't sting my eyes, isn't full of alcohol, and isn't scented. I would have the perfect product if not for coconut oil making my eyes stupidly blurry for hours, and for REN's cleansing balm stinging due to the horrible rose essential oil. Eugh!!!

5. Deodorant- I just want one that keeps my pits smelling fresh. I don't care about antiperspirant even. I know I'm supposed to sweat- I don't want to clog those with some junk. I just want to smell decent, or like nothing too bad, by 5 pm. I mean.... I guess I'll just have to reapply? I really like Lavanila's deodorant, but it doesn't last. Same with Dermalogica's Environmental Control- they are great until a few hours in the day. Eugh!

To add to that, I would like all those to be cruelty-free, so that makes it even that much more difficult.

What products are you constantly trying to find your holy grail in?

Foundation: The amount of frustration orange foundation has caused me -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Powder: Aside from translucent powder it just clings to little hairs on my face and turns them orange. Not pretty!

Eyeliner: It's either smudgy, flakes, not dark enough, etc., so far the Maybelline gel eyeliner is working out pretty well but I'd like it better if I hadn't accidentally gotten espresso instead of black. 

Mascara: Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of mascaras (Maybelline Mega Plush, Falsies, Too Faced Better Than Sex, Lorac Cobra, etc.,) but none that don't wear off, or give my raccoon eyes over time. 

Lip Balm: I have very dry lips, because I'm bad about not drinking enough water. I like the Burts Bees Replenishing lip balm and Carmex Moisture Plus, but I still have bad lips most of the time. 

1. Liquid foundation. Anything that matches my skin will stick to my dryness or rub off my nose when I sneeze.
2. Exfoliator. I have awful flaky skin.
3. Gel eyeliner. Can't find a formula I like.
4. Hair mousse.
5. Purple eyeshadow.

1. Mascara. Mascara drives me insane. What I would LIKE is one mascara that will make my eyelashes look fake. What I have in reality is three different products I have to layer to achieve the look I want, and even then it is not right. I looked into eyelash extensions, but I didn't feel they were right for me.

2. Lipliner. Is there a liner out there that WON'T smear all over my lips and make me look like I've had botched injections? I almost always go sans lipliner, because my lip products work so much better without it. The only thing that comes close is UD's Vintage 24/7 formula and it sold out before I could buy backups.

3. Eyeliner. Same problem as above, but with the eyes. My eyes water A LOT, and no liner ever, ever stays in place. I don't think one has been invented that can.

4. Eye cream. I just want to soften the look of my super deep under eye lines. They aren't age related, I've had them since my young teens, but as I get older, they do age me. And I am tired of concealer falling into them. I wish there was something...

5. SETTING SPRAY. Oh lord, please let someone invent a spray that will seal my makeup to my face like a mask. Or if such a think exists, let a kind soul tell me about it.

Concealer - I guess my dark circles will never go away

Eyeliner - Good ones to put in the tight line that do not budge or move to the water line

Eye Cream - Like I said about the dark circles, I don't think they will ever make one that actually works

Lip gloss - Not super pigmented, but one that will last, and is not over-the-top sticky

Don't really have a fifth one, I guess my fifth would be to try and find a good ones for 1-4.

-Sunblock - For sensitive skin 

-Mascara - For sensitive skin / eyes 

-Foundation / concealer - For sensitive skin 

-Lipstick - For sensitive skin 

-anti-aging cream - yep you've guessed it, for sensitive skin

Really sucks having sensitive skin and eczema. A LOT of products flare up my skin. Really difficult trying to find make-up for ultra sensitive skin. I'm not a bare faced beauty unfortunately so really despair trying to find products I can wear. 

5. SETTING SPRAY. Oh lord, please let someone invent a spray that will seal my makeup to my face like a mask. Or if such a think exists, let a kind soul tell me about it.
I've seen Ben Nye final seal do some pretty awesome things, but then again it may not be exactly what you're looking for. Just a suggestion :)

Ha, I love this topic so much! I'm just gonna go through and list my HG products for any categories that people have mentioned, and figure out which ones I'm still looking for.

Sunblock: my go-to is Neutrogena Dry-Touch Broad Spectrum SPF 55, but I also have a Sun-Up Before Sun Protector from Primal Life Organics. It's way expensive, oil-based, and not a "sunscreen," but it's incredibly good for your skin and minimizes the risk of sunburn (I'm all for some healthy sun exposure that will result in a tan and Vitamin D). So I only use sunblock when I know I'll be out in blazing heat and would otherwise burn.

Mascara: still looking. Current favorite is Stila Glamoureyes, but it's definitely not perfect.

Highlighter: the one from the Smashbox Contour Kit is pretty great, although I'm so pale it doesn't do enough for me. I guess that's the tradeoff with it not being noticeable in a bad way.

Makeup remover: god, if anyone finds a good one, let me know.

Deodorant: same. I've got nothing.

Okay, wow, this would take a while with EVERYTHING people have listed. I was going to mention the Nyx setting spray, too. I've used the Matte and like it, but not the Dewy yet.

I think my main HG search is for brushes...so many of them are great but fall just short of what I want.

I've seen Ben Nye final seal do some pretty awesome things, but then again it may not be exactly what you're looking for. Just a suggestion :)
Does it seal makeup on like a mask, so it doesn't run, smear, sweat off or smudge while still allowing my face to move naturally? :lol: That is what I am looking for.

I love this topic idea!

The categories I'm still searching for are

1. Sunscreen

2. Face mask

3. Eye cream

4. Primer for eye makeup

5. Bb cream/foundation

@@eastofthesun have you tried the malin and goetz deodorant? It's kind of expensive, but the stick lasts a really long time! It doesn't really have much of a smell on, but at the end of the day I don't stink and its natural so I like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Mascara - They all make me look like a raccoon.

2. Under-eye concealer - They all don't cover enough, are the wrong color, or come off quickly.

3. Long-wearing lipstick - One that doesn't dry my lips out like crazy

4. Anti-frizz product - They never work for me

5. Eyeliner - Always travels on me

You know how most people have some holy grail products?

Well, it seems no matter how many HG products someone has, they're still always on the search for the best X product, especially in those harder categories. 

What are your top 5 most difficult categories to find a holy grail product in?

For me it's:

1. Sunblock (for face) -with UVA/UVB that is moisturizing but not greasy, works well under makeup, and gives me great, long-lasting protection (and also doesn't break me out or dry out my skin.)

2. Mascara- I want one that darkens, volumizes, holds a curl, defines, doesn't clump, doesn't weigh down my lashes, looks natural, is dark brown, not stark black, is easy to remove but doesn't flake, irritate my eyes, or run, and... maybe that's just not possible.

3. Highlighter- I want an easy to apply, easy to blend, non-greasy highlighter/illuminator that isn't glittery, isn't too flat, isn't full of silicones, doesn't remove my makeup when I rub it in, isn't too orange, isHhn't too yellow, isn't too pink, isn't too bronze, looks natural. Is that possible?

4. Makeup remover- I just want one that removes my face and eye make-up (and waterproof makeup) easily, but is gentle, doesn't require rubbing, doesn't turn my eyes all blurry for hours, doesn't sting my eyes, isn't full of alcohol, and isn't scented. I would have the perfect product if not for coconut oil making my eyes stupidly blurry for hours, and for REN's cleansing balm stinging due to the horrible rose essential oil. Eugh!!!

5. Deodorant- I just want one that keeps my pits smelling fresh. I don't care about antiperspirant even. I know I'm supposed to sweat- I don't want to clog those with some junk. I just want to smell decent, or like nothing too bad, by 5 pm. I mean.... I guess I'll just have to reapply? I really like Lavanila's deodorant, but it doesn't last. Same with Dermalogica's Environmental Control- they are great until a few hours in the day. Eugh!

To add to that, I would like all those to be cruelty-free, so that makes it even that much more difficult.

What products are you constantly trying to find your holy grail in?
I've found some holy trails in these categories :)

Sunscreen - Clarins SPF 40. Not sure the exact name but it's in a white bottle with red writing. When it gets really wintery and my skin is drier, I will use Algenist anti-aging SPF 20. I prefer the Clarins on most day though.

Mascara - YSL Babydoll. It's expensive but worth every penny. My lashes are nearly clear since I'm a redhead so mascara is really important to me and I've tried them all. YSL Babydoll is very black, super lengthening and Volumizing. Love it!

What are you using the highlighter for exactly? I really only highlight my brow bone so I love Benefit's High Brow for that. Looks very natural and really gives me that awake look

Makeup remover - love Klorane. It's cheap too.

Deodorant - I love Secret with Olay. :)

Ha, I love this topic so much! I'm just gonna go through and list my HG products for any categories that people have mentioned, and figure out which ones I'm still looking for.

Sunblock: my go-to is Neutrogena Dry-Touch Broad Spectrum SPF 55, but I also have a Sun-Up Before Sun Protector from Primal Life Organics. It's way expensive, oil-based, and not a "sunscreen," but it's incredibly good for your skin and minimizes the risk of sunburn (I'm all for some healthy sun exposure that will result in a tan and Vitamin D). So I only use sunblock when I know I'll be out in blazing heat and would otherwise burn.
Great idea to go through and give your HGs for our hard-to-find topics, hehe! Thanks!!!

I love this topic idea!

The categories I'm still searching for are

1. Sunscreen

2. Face mask

3. Eye cream

4. Primer for eye makeup

5. Bb cream/foundation

@@eastofthesun have you tried the malin and goetz deodorant? It's kind of expensive, but the stick lasts a really long time! It doesn't really have much of a smell on, but at the end of the day I don't stink and its natural so I like it!
Oooh, I love the idea of having at least one Malin and Goetz item. I didn't know they made deodorant. I'll have to try it!! That's my end goal- not stinking at the end of the day!

I've found some holy trails in these categories :)

What are you using the highlighter for exactly? I really only highlight my brow bone so I love Benefit's High Brow for that. Looks very natural and really gives me that awake look
For the highlight I like to make my skin look a bit awake... I usually apply it to the tops of my cheekbones, my cupid's bow, maybe the tip of my chin and nose. I find the Watt's Up hard to blend and a bit too yellow for my skin tone.

Primer: Eye and Face. I haven't found either that makes me feel like I have HG. However I am a fan of the Milani eye primer but just don't feel like its good enough to be HG

Powder Brush: I hop around using different types of brushes. Used to use kabuki and now I use the elf powder brush urg

Setting Spray: I love my elf Mist and Set but I feel that the setting spray market is pretty limited

Mascara: Again I have mascaras that I like but none that I've ever thought about repurchasing.

Not exactly makeup but Pallet storage: I would really like to be able to see everything and not just shoved in a drawer

This is a great thread... I can't think of anything product related. For me it's more tool related.

1. Fine edged / tipped brushes like super fine liner brushes, angle brushes, and straight flat brushes. Ben Nye and Kryolan have them but they are very hard to find.

2. Washable puffs. Again hard to find.

... That's all I've got...  :wassatt:

My HG sunscreen is MD Elta. All natural, no chemicals. I use the face one daily and also purchased the body one which I usually daily also. Never stings, not greasy, perfect!!

My HG eye primer is Nars. It makes everything stay which for me is a hard one since have oily eyelids.

I would love to find like lots of you a HG mascara. Volumizing, lenghtening, curling and always staying put but easy to remove.

Also great eyeliner and concealer.

Someone was looking for a setting powder. Have you UD setting spray. Works well for me.

My HG sunscreen is MD Elta. All natural, no chemicals. I use the face one daily and also purchased the body one which I usually daily also. Never stings, not greasy, perfect!!

My HG eye primer is Nars. It makes everything stay which for me is a hard one since have oily eyelids.

I would love to find like lots of you a HG mascara. Volumizing, lenghtening, curling and always staying put but easy to remove.

Also great eyeliner and concealer.

Someone was looking for a setting powder. Have you UD setting spray. Works well for me.
I actually have tried MD Elta and LOVED it, but I can't use it because it has a high concentration of silicones, which break me out badly. I'm so sad... I wish they made a silicone-free version. It'd definitely be my HG if it weren't for that. Same with Supergoop- too many silicones! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Primer: Eye and Face. I haven't found either that makes me feel like I have HG. However I am a fan of the Milani eye primer but just don't feel like its good enough to be HG

Powder Brush: I hop around using different types of brushes. Used to use kabuki and now I use the elf powder brush urg

Setting Spray: I love my elf Mist and Set but I feel that the setting spray market is pretty limited

Mascara: Again I have mascaras that I like but none that I've ever thought about repurchasing.

Not exactly makeup but Pallet storage: I would really like to be able to see everything and not just shoved in a drawer
Oh, have you seen that some people use letter sorters for their palettes? I use a white lace one from Office Depot, but this one is cute too and would match any acrylic organizers you already have for your makeup.

1023248463.jpg

This is a great thread... I can't think of anything product related. For me it's more tool related.

1. Fine edged / tipped brushes like super fine liner brushes, angle brushes, and straight flat brushes. Ben Nye and Kryolan have them but they are very hard to find.

2. Washable puffs. Again hard to find.

... That's all I've got...  :wassatt:
Ooh, I am also looking for a fine-tipped angle liner brush. And by fine, I mean really skinny, yet also sturdy. I have tried the Anastasia #12 brush which seems really awesome- have you ever tried that? Would you say it's fine enough for what you're looking for?

1. Concealer! I need something very light in color, ( I'm NC 15) that isn't too thick or stiff for the under eye area, but nothing real thin or runny, doesn't sink into my wrinkles, will last all day and is under $12.

2. Mascara, I found my dream mascara but it is an unknown test product I had to return. I need it!

3. Sunscreen for sensitive skin with full spectrum SPF 50 and absolutely no scent, no stickiness or heavy feel.

4. A Korean BB cream that is pale enough, with no pink tones, for my complexion. (Are you listening Dr Jart?)

5. That one mythical unicorn lipstick that will be so flawless in every way that I would never be tempted to buy anything else but it. (never happen, I'm a slut for lipstick)

ETA @@vogueboy Have a checked a good art supply store recently? Maybe you can find the brushes you need there

Last edited by a moderator:
Back