How much is normal to spend on makeup?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaughterofSea

This forum has me thinking.  What is a normal/reasonable amount of money to spend on makeup?  I have no idea what other women are spending as my friends and I usually don't talk about this topic haha.  I calculated and apparently this year I've spent one month's salary on makeup/beauty products.  Is this normal?

Honestly no, I don't think it's 'normal' for the average person to spend one month's salary on makeup and beauty products per year.  However, I'm quite certain that some people on this forum do so.  Honestly I'd be scared to calculate how much I've spent but I am sure it wasn't that much... of course how much one month's salary is much more for some people than others.

Basically though as long as you aren't going into debt to buy makeup I think its up to you what you feel comfortable spending (and even if you are going into debt, that's really your own personal decision/problem that other people shouldn't feel entitled to judge you for).

I think what's 'normal' will vary from person to person - some people buy very little makeup, but there are others who really enjoy makeup as a hobby, so spending more than the average is what's normal for them (like me, haha). I think as long as you're not racking up a ton of debt or foregoing necessities or other important things to buy beauty products - what's normal is up to you!

I think that as long as it's disposable income that you can afford to part with, it's all good. Some people love to travel, some eat out at nice restaurants or go to concerts, and some love having ALL THE MAKEUP. I think it's just a matter of balancing your priorities of what's most important to you to spend your money on this month. Who knows? Maybe a couple months from now you will decide that a trip to Venice is more important to you than high end makeup, and go on a low-buy or find less expensive alternatives at the drugstore.

For the last few years I have been going to school part-time, working full-time, and raising kids as a single parent.  In years past I spent more money other things like taking vacations and going out at night.  Recently I have spent my disposable income on tuition and cosmetics.  I have learned more about makeup application while looking good feels good so it has been a positive experience overall.  In the last year I have spent more on beauty products than I have any other year in my adult life - somewhere between 4-5% of my annual income - including subscriptions and impulse spending.

One thing I learned was that I needed to be more aware of my spending and being more aware of the amount of product I accumulate. I believe in donating unwanted and unused items to a women's shelter.  I also believe in throwing away expired items and items I tried but did not enjoy (i.e. an eye shadow base that collected in the creases of my eyelids two hours after application) - there is no sense letting those sorts of things take up space in your home.  

Now, I must focus on using what I have.  I will probably spend half of what I did last year next year while I focus on using what I already have. 

Back