Secret Santa 2014! - Main thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Nice. ****naughty*** Pay no attention to that man behind the green curtain! He lies .

All signed up and ready to go! That was an extensive survey. I love filling things like that out though. 

Now to play the waiting game. I can barely stand it! I want to start shopping now! lol

I'm signing up to participate this year for the first time.  I see the rules say that the gift value should be around $25, but looking at past years' reveal threads it looks like people usually send out gifts valued at much, much more.  Some of them are 100's of dollars in value.  Is this how it works? 

I'm signing up to participate this year for the first time.  I see the rules say that the gift value should be around $25, but looking at past years' reveal threads it looks like people usually send out gifts valued at much, much more.  Some of them are 100's of dollars in value.  Is this how it works? 
A lot of people save up points and coupons as well as shopping big Christmas sales.  I have been saving some Birchbox points and some deluxe samples that I know are popular but I won't use.  There are also a lot of people who add unused and unopened items from their personal stash.  This along with homemade items makes it look a lot bigger.  And then you have people who just blow the budget, haha.  

Don't worry, no one is expecting more than a 25$ gift.  I think the most fun of the exchange is shopping for someone else!  

Question: I'm intensely curious to know, how are the partners assigned? Is it through a random generator, or chosen based on some secret formula? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It doesn't make a difference, other than to my curiosity! I just thought I'd ask now instead of after the assignments are made, so it didn't look like I wanted to be rid of my giftee. :lol:

Question: I'm intensely curious to know, how are the partners assigned? Is it through a random generator, or chosen based on some secret formula? ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It doesn't make a difference, other than to my curiosity! I just thought I'd ask now instead of after the assignments are made, so it didn't look like I wanted to be rid of my giftee. :lol:
It's through Elster, it automatically does the picking.

A lot of people save up points and coupons as well as shopping big Christmas sales.  I have been saving some Birchbox points and some deluxe samples that I know are popular but I won't use.  There are also a lot of people who add unused and unopened items from their personal stash.  This along with homemade items makes it look a lot bigger.  And then you have people who just blow the budget, haha.  

Don't worry, no one is expecting more than a 25$ gift.  I think the most fun of the exchange is shopping for someone else!  
Ok, thanks.  I love shopping for other people, but looking at those reveal threads was intimidating.  It almost seems like everyone is trying to go over the top and out-do everyone else.  I was considering backing out of participating because I don't want my giftee to be disappointed if I don't send tons and tons of stuff like everyone else seems to. 

Ok, thanks.  I love shopping for other people, but looking at those reveal threads was intimidating.  It almost seems like everyone is trying to go over the top and out-do everyone else.  I was considering backing out of participating because I don't want my giftee to be disappointed if I don't send tons and tons of stuff like everyone else seems to. 
Please don't feel intimidated!!! I highly encourage you to participate. Everyone is SO thoughtful and considerate. I think there was a bad apple or two who never sent a present at all, or who couldn't be bothered to thank their Santa. It appears that Zadi is trying her best to prevent this from recurring. (Hence the participation requirements, etc.) However, it's really the best time of year on this forum because it brings us together. I've never heard of anyone being disappointed by a present. Personally, you could send me anything and I'd be thrilled. It's not really what I receive that matters. I participate mostly because I love watching everyone else get excited and sharing in their excitement. 

What I've gotten from reading the past threads is that the participants in Secret Santa, really, really love giving gifts. ♥ Myself, included. I have no expectations as to what I receive, just about anything will be cause for much celebration. :wizard:   But not only am I excited to see what my Santa chooses for me, I am giddy with anticipation of finally, FINALLY being able to shop for makeup gifts! None of the women, or men, in my family wear makeup and I don't have many close friends who do either. So this is probably the most exciting gift exchange I have ever been able to participate in! :w00t:

Please don't feel intimidated!!! I highly encourage you to participate. Everyone is SO thoughtful and considerate. I think there was a bad apple or two who never sent a present at all, or who couldn't be bothered to thank their Santa. It appears that Zadi is trying her best to prevent this from recurring. (Hence the participation requirements, etc.) However, it's really the best time of year on this forum because it brings us together. I've never heard of anyone being disappointed by a present. Personally, you could send me anything and I'd be thrilled. It's not really what I receive that matters. I participate mostly because I love watching everyone else get excited and sharing in their excitement. 

What I've gotten from reading the past threads is that the participants in Secret Santa, really, really love giving gifts. ♥ Myself, included. I have no expectations as to what I receive, just about anything will be cause for much celebration. :wizard:   But not only am I excited to see what my Santa chooses for me, I am giddy with anticipation of finally, FINALLY being able to shop for makeup gifts! None of the women, or men, in my family wear makeup and I don't have many close friends who do either. So this is probably the most exciting gift exchange I have ever been able to participate in! :w00t:
Thank you so much, both of you, for your replies.  I am excited about participating and excited to have an excuse to do more shopping.  Also, one of the things I love about giving gifts is wrapping them in unusual/creative/unique ways, so I'm also looking forward to being able to do that for whoever my giftee is. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back