So... What's Everyone Being for Halloween?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With Halloween coming up, I'm sure everyone here has some really creative costume ideas :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Oddly, working in a costume shop has almost made the decision more difficult for me; soo many choices lol At the moment, I'm leaning towards a sailorgirl ensemble of some sort, but I'm still debating.  How about everyone else, what are you costume ideas/plans for this year?

Sadly we don't really celebrate Halloween here, but I've always wanted to dress up as a ghost bride, even though a lot of people do so!

Honestly, nothing. Last year I tried, I got criticism. Eh, whatever. I have my conventions.

Sadly we don't really celebrate Halloween here, but I've always wanted to dress up as a ghost bride, even though a lot of people do so!
I say you dress up anyways and be fabulous! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Honestly, nothing. Last year I tried, I got criticism. Eh, whatever. I have my conventions.
I also had some negative comments at a party I attended last year; people were trying to 'figure out' if I was a guy or a girl, and one even grabbed me.  Needless to say, I felt uncomfortable and I left early.  This year, I will not return to that person's party again.  I will spend it with people who are more respectful.  Halloween is my favourite holiday, so I'm hoping this time will be better!

I say you dress up anyways and be fabulous! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also had some negative comments at a party I attended last year; people were trying to 'figure out' if I was a guy or a girl, and one even grabbed me.  Needless to say, I felt uncomfortable and I left early.  This year, I will not return to that person's party again.  I will spend it with people who are more respectful.  Halloween is my favourite holiday, so I'm hoping this time will be better!
I will never understand people's fascination with determining what gender to assign to people.  So strange, I'm glad you have better company this year!

I think my boyfriend and I are going to go as Forrest Gump and Jenny...we have 3 parties to go to, all at house parties with his coworkers.  There will be kids and mostly 30 year olds at one party, the other two are going to be a 20-somethings crowd.  I'm torn on dressing up differently for the parties but we can't spend a ton on costumes. 

I will never understand people's fascination with determining what gender to assign to people.  So strange, I'm glad you have better company this year!

I think my boyfriend and I are going to go as Forrest Gump and Jenny...we have 3 parties to go to, all at house parties with his coworkers.  There will be kids and mostly 30 year olds at one party, the other two are going to be a 20-somethings crowd.  I'm torn on dressing up differently for the parties but we can't spend a ton on costumes. 
I totally agree; they were far too preoccupied with me.  I was dressed a a flight attendant and within a minute of arriving someone grabbed my back-side, claiming "it went with the territory" as the group of them were snickering and debating what was 'real' on me.  My sister was ready to go up and sock them, so we just left.  What bothered me more though was that my friend who hosted the party claimed that by leaving, we overreacted.  She tried defending the guy who started the incident, and claimed if I didn't patch things up, I made my apparent 'community' look bad.  Anyway, I'll be spending Halloween here in Toronto this time, and hopefully I'll have some sort of pre-Halloween Halloween party (it's a tradition of mine hah), so it'll be a *much* better crowd, I'm sure! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's an awesome idea with Forrest Gump and Jenny.  I also tend to dress differently for different parties.  Sometimes it's out of practicality like the year when I was a prom queen at my party, but then just did Bettie Paige when I went out (somehow it seemed lower-maintenance (sorta lol).  I'm also on a budget which sometimes can be annoying.  The costume shop that I work at has some awesome outfits, but they're waay out of my price range.  Hopefully I can pull something semi-creative together though :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Okay I think I settled on our second set of costumes- bikers!  Just wearing jeans, boots, Harley t-shirts.  I'm going to go get cheapie gloves to cut the fingers off, bandanas, and temporary tattoos.   I work for HD so it will be fun to do exaggerated stereotype bikers :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Okay I think I settled on our second set of costumes- bikers!  Just wearing jeans, boots, Harley t-shirts.  I'm going to go get cheapie gloves to cut the fingers off, bandanas, and temporary tattoos.   I work for HD so it will be fun to do exaggerated stereotype bikers :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Awesome!  That should be a lot of fun, and a nice contrast too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I think I've also figured out mine, too.  We sell a crazy Amy Winehouse wig at work, so I may just pick that up, wear it with a Betsey Johnson dress I got recently, and use my leftover tattoo sleeves from when I did a drag performance as Bif Naked years back.  My main worry is getting the winged eyeliner down right.  Maybe I'll look up some YouTube tutorials.  But yeah, I'll have my whole costume made for under $40 hah

Awesome!  That should be a lot of fun, and a nice contrast too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I think I've also figured out mine, too.  We sell a crazy Amy Winehouse wig at work, so I may just pick that up, wear it with a Betsey Johnson dress I got recently, and use my leftover tattoo sleeves from when I did a drag performance as Bif Naked years back.  My main worry is getting the winged eyeliner down right.  Maybe I'll look up some YouTube tutorials.  But yeah, I'll have my whole costume made for under $40 hah
Oooo I think any chance to wear your Betsy Johnson dress you should go for it! 

Oooo I think any chance to wear your Betsy Johnson dress you should go for it! 
Agreed!  I think I will literally just take this outfit and add the Winehouse wig, makeup, and sleeves, and I'm set.  Now I can get around to actually planning the party :D hah

1794732_10100793543709745_2612149712718830603_n.jpg

I thought I was the only one who had bad experiences since I got too old for Tricker Treating. When I went to bars people would follow me around to tell me my costume was historically innacurate. Really, you mean Marie Antoinette didn't wear a plastic tiara from Clare's?  Or guys would demand I explain the costume because they'd never seen that movie or played that video game. No matter how much time and effort I put in all the good attention went to the girl with the body of a Maxim centerfold, who could have put on a burlap sack and gone as a sexy bag of potatos.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I was the only one who had bad experiences since I got too old for Tricker Treating. When I went to bars people would follow me around to tell me my costume was historically innacurate. Really, you mean Marie Antoinette didn't wear a plastic tiara from Clare's?  Or guys would demand I explain the costume because they'd never seen that movie or played that video game. No matter how much time and effort I put in all the good attention went to the girl with the body of a Maxim centerfold, who could have put on a burlap sack and gone as a sexy bag of potatos.
Those sort of people really get on my nerves, and I often find they were never the least bit creative with their own costumes (which were often bought right off the shelf).  Being a very poor graduate student, part of the fun for me is creating a costume with random bits and pieces I find within my budget.  Sometimes I improvise, or do my own take on a theme, but I often prefer it that way.  Though I found some awesome costumes where I work, I made my entire Amy Winehouse costume for $45. 

Luckily, this year I've had a much better time so far.  I threw a Halloween party last weekend, and it was a jerk-free event, yay lol

I'm going as a Gladiator...watch out! LOL :king:

Trick or treating with kids....love it...
Awesome!  I actually sold a gladiator helmet to a customer last week at work.  He said that he had to work in an during Halloween, but he's still going to wear the helmet with his suit hah

Latest posts

Back